facebook

sigma delta tau

by: PNM

Hi! So can anyone tell me more about Sigma Delta Tau? I've heard some not-so-nice things about them, but they seemed very nice at Preview Day. Just trying to figure out what they're really like. Thanks!!

Posted By: PNM
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Active in Diff. Sorority   

SDT is overlooked sometimes, but they're still part of Panhellenic. They're not a large chapter, rather really small, but that has both its benefits and downsides. If you pledge SDT, you'll definitely get to know all your sisters and you'll be a closer sisterhood, versus the larger houses where it's virtually impossible to have a personal relationship with all 350+ members. On the downside, you are smaller, and will have a different pledging experience - you'll have less swaps, and won't have a pomp on your own, but rather will be paired up with another larger sorority. Your house will also not be on the row. Another benefit though is that your dues will probably be less than those will the new and big houses. Everyone in Panhellenic hopes that SDT can succeed and one day join us on the row and go through the complete formal recruitment process.

By: Active in Diff. Sorority
by: OPMar 10, 2015 5:37:27 PM

Thank you! So I shouldn't count them out I guess?!

By: OP
by: Active in Diff. SororityMar 10, 2015 9:06:35 PM

No, absolutely not! You should definitely keep an open mind. However, if you do decide to participate in formal recruitment, go through the process and get a bid, but decide you don't like that house, then you won't be able to pledge yourself to another sorority, including SDT, for a year. SDT does a separate recruitment after Formal recruitment, so the downside there is that SDT isn't an option if you get a bid from a formal recruitment participator.

By: Active in Diff. Sorority
by: BamaMar 11, 2015 6:06:25 PM

I think you have to sign the bid for those rules to apply. Ask

By: Bama
by: rolltideMar 26, 2015 1:00:32 AM

OP, if you are concerned with cost, SDT has cheaper dues than any other sorority!

By: rolltide
#2  by: OP   

Okay, but if God forbid I get dropped, I would still be able to go through their recruitment?!

by: MatchlessMar 10, 2015 10:04:17 PM

Yes, if you don't receive a bid, you are still eligible for SDT recruitment, or even COB (continuous open bidding).

By: Matchless
by: bamaMar 26, 2015 12:54:13 AM

Yes. Thats what I did and I am now an SDT. I love the close sisterhood! There are also many more opportunities for leadership positions.

By: bama
#3  by: Just be aware   

That SDT has a very limited social calendar. They're a great alternative if you're looking for a smaller, closer sorority experience, but socially they're more or less on the fringes of the Greek scene.

By: Just be aware
by: OPMar 11, 2015 3:30:54 PM

My main concern now is cost. I didn't even think about the cost of joining one of the big Panhellenic houses and I don't want to put that much extra stress on my parents.

#4  by: Active   

They are great girls that are drama free, nice sisterhood!

By: Active

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.