facebook

out of state 2014

by: Maybe Bama Bound

First, I just want to congratulate all the new pledges at Alabama! I know this is very early, but I am probably attending The University of Alabama in the fall of 2014 (I'm a senior in high school). I've always known I want to do Greek life, but I am a little worried, especially since I live in New England. I am committed to getting recs for each house, I have a stellar GPA, and I have been told that I am very personable. However, being from New England I am very anxious about not getting a bid or something, because I've heard that recruitment is very favorable to Southern girls. Can anyone tell me how much truth this holds, like, that they don't give many Northern girls bids? I've also heard some houses on take Southern/Alabama girls - is this true? I know it's early, but I would really appreciate the help/advice! Thank you!!

Posted By: Maybe Bama Bound
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: In the   

Same boat as you. From Chicago - will get recs, above 4.5 gpa, lots of activities, not shy - but I know no one.

By: In the
#2  by: justwentthroughrush   

Check out the 2013 Bid List (it's posted online at uanews). It is true that most girls selected are from the Southern States but that is mostly due to the sheer number of girls attending UA from those areas. There are many OOS girls who find their letters at UA.

You're right on track with gap, activities/volunteer/work, and getting those recs in early (HUGE mistake if this is overlooked). Go to preview day if you'd like to meet people a bit early. Clean up your social media accounts. Get ready to have fun and keep an open mind during recruitment!

Good Luck!

By: justwentthroughrush
by: 2014Aug 18, 2013 12:45:39 PM

Is preview crucial?

By: 2014
by: Maybe Bama BoundAug 18, 2013 12:48:13 PM

I've already discussed with my parents and I will be attending preview!

By: Maybe Bama Bound
#3  by: justwentthroughrush   

...that would be GPA...

By: justwentthroughrush
#4  by: BAMA 14   

What is considered a good gpa by the chapters. I'm not talking the 3.0 minimum. What gpa would actually get you looked at by houses like alpha chi, chi o, tri Delt, and phi Mu?

By: BAMA 14
#5  by: I've done a little   

number crunching, and pledge breakdown by geographic region for 2013 is as follows (with a small error rate as #'s reported by houses do not agree 100% with the UA reported pledge lists):
Northeast - 11%
Midwest - 12%
West - 8%
South (not AL) - 42%
Alabama - 27%

you have a shot, but your grades need to be stellar, you need a great resume of leadership/service/extra-curriculars/talents, and you need a clean social media presentation. You also need to do your homework about chapters to determine where you have the best chance and put your efforts into getting great rec's for those houses (you still need them for all houses).

These are all needed LONG before recruitment week begins. Great conversation skills and a well groomed appearance will help boost your chances when you walk through the chapter's front door once recruitment begins.

By: I've done a little
by: WellAug 18, 2013 2:52:26 PM

These are the percentages of girls who get bids in total - but my guess is the majority of pnms were southern/Alabama girls to begin with so that would partially explain why most of the pledges come from there.

Anyone know what percentage of girls from northeast, midwest, and west get bids out of the girls from those regions who participated in recruitment?

By: Well
by: Maybe Bama BouAug 18, 2013 3:35:56 PM

Thank you! Do you know if any of the houses will specifically NOT take Northern girls / do Northern girls have to be extra amazing to get a bid?

By: Maybe Bama Bou
by: It makes...Aug 18, 2013 3:45:40 PM

It makes me laugh when the Greek Chat biddies dog this site repeatedly ("the site we won't speak of") and yet they stalk this site more than actual Greeks. I could literally tell you which one of those women are writing these responses.

I understand that they are actually giving decent advice (and you are), yet why bash it if you are actually here. Be honest and use your Greek Chat name or say you are from there and state you are here trying to help. It would give a heck of a lot more validity to the posts! Other wise your post are just as useless as the rest of this dribble.

By: It makes...
#6  by: I'll try again...   

The match rate was 90%+ this year. I'd say most out of state girls who stuck it out and maximized their options was able to pledge a chapter.

By: I'll try again...
#7  by: good info   

Still true

By: good info

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.