facebook

not getting a bid

by: Worried

I was wondering how many girls go through recruitment and don't get a bid? I read that 80% get bids but I know that some of the 20% that don't are girls who decided not to pledge at all. I was just looking for a rough estimate. Is it like 100 girls or so?

Posted By: Worried
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Actually   

It's much more. Last year 10% or about 200 girls withdrew. So 1,993 girls became around 1,793 and only 1,687 girls accepted bids. So about 100 girls were totally dropped. The girls dropped did not receive help through snap bids or quota additions. I think with all the snap bids and quota additions, the number of girls receiving bids was officially 86%

By: Actually
#2  by: Worried   

Thank you that's a lot of help! How do snap bids work exactly?

By: Worried
by: Snap BidsJul 21, 2013 10:52:33 PM

Are ways for a sorority to make quota if they haven't and if the girl they're extending the snap bid to is well liked by the house. Basically, if a girl has to cut House A so she can make room on her schedule for Houses B, C, and D, House A can extend her a snap bid if Houses B, C, and D do not bid her. Houses that cut girls will more than likely not extend her a snap bid. It's a way for girls who are completely cut from all of their houses to get a bid. Snap bids for UA are extended on bid day so the other pledges usually can't differentiate between girls who get snap bids and girls who get regular bids

By: Snap Bids
#3  by: Hereyago   

Some are dropped because their grades are too low.
A few are dropped for poor reputation, rudeness etc. - based on recs from alumnae.
Some actually sign up for recruitment but never show up - they just wanted to be able to move to Tuscaloosa a week early.
But many women who don't get bids actually didn't like the houses that invited them back and decided to drop out of rush.
They COULD have had a chance to join a sorority. They didn't like their choice(s), so they dropped.
Of course, they could CLAIM that they were dropped, but they weren't.

By: Hereyago
by: Can't theyJul 22, 2013 1:45:25 AM

tell if you withdrew? I know Panhellenic know who drops. Wouldn't they tell the sororities?

By: Can't they
by: WellJul 23, 2013 12:08:13 AM

Yes, Panhellenic has a list every day of who has dropped out (the term is actually "has withdrawn") that they send to the sororities.
Usually (not always, but usually) Suzy Special gets her list of sororities for the day and decides none of them are good enough for her. She says, "Screw this! I'm going to get a beer!" and throws the list in the face of her Rho Chi. (No always, but I like drama)
If you're talking to the girl later, she'll claim that she was "totally dropped from rush." But she just didn't like her choices.

By: Well
by: llnJul 23, 2013 12:25:20 AM

I know a girl who was dropped, but told everyone she chose to drop out to save face. Not to say it's embarrassing (it's absolutely not unless you act horribly), she just thought it'd be better to quit than "fail."

By: lln
#4  by: Worried   

Thank y'all so much for this information! I wasn't sure I wanted to rush and spend the money if there was a good chances I wouldn't get a bid but y'all have reassured me to go for it!

By: Worried
by: DefinitelyJul 22, 2013 2:16:00 PM

Go for it! Trust me, you won't regret your decision :)

By: Definitely
#5  by: obvs   

Just make sure you're open to all the houses. A house that drops you isn't worth your worrying about. TBH they didn't want you and you don't want to be a part of a house that doesn't want you. Each day just look at the houses you did get invited back to and choose your favorite among them. Don't cry over spilt milk because you're never going to get a house that dropped you. Even if your mom calls some alum who says it was all a computer glitch. They're not ever going to take you either in cob or next year. So if you want to be a part of something great, choose to love the houses that love you.

By: obvs
by: WellJul 23, 2013 12:09:19 AM

Excellent advice there.

#6  by: Weezer   

Let's bump this topic, because not all of ya'll out there will be getting a bid.
Truth.

By: Weezer
#7  by: For what it's worth   

There have been stories here about girls who had great grades, involvement, and recs but got completely released because they were too nervous and awkward to hold a conversation.

By: For what it's worth
by: ActiveAug 3, 2015 3:20:13 AM

My poor roommate had amazing recs, grades, and involvement AND personality and was cut for what I assume was looks. It's a shame but it happens. I saw the spreadsheet of cuts and withdrawals from panhel recently and there were something like 50 girls completely dropped in total. The other girls who didn't get bids withdrew.

By: Active
by: KatAug 3, 2015 6:56:28 AM

You would be shocked how some pnms that on paper, on insta, in casual conversation in your dorm, etc seem like a 100 lock for a house of her choice-- either has secrets we learn about that affect her recruitment or totally choke in the house during parties and flop.

By: Kat
#8  by: Well   

Percentage pledging was like 91% of those who didn't quit.
Despite all the talk, there are only a handful of snap bids issued, so don't count on that as a way to pledge.
Bottom line - if you want to join, and you will accept any group, chances are good (but are NOT guaranteed!) that you will receive a bid.

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.