facebook

thoughts?

by: hmmm

What do you think of girls who join a bottom tier sorority just to transfer to a school where it’s top?

Posted By: hmmm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Y   

Bad form but can happen— but destination does not have to take you so it can backfire if it is ibvious what happened

By: Y
by: YepDec 23, 2018 10:38:36 PM

It used to be fairly easy to get into the top tier through the back door pre-Internet. But top chapters know the tea now, and most don't take affiliates anymore because of it. A KD from Kentucky isn't getting into KD at Bama, a Kappa from Auburn isn't getting into Kappa at UGA, a DG from UGA isn't getting into DG at Ole Miss, a Theta from Bama isn't getting into Theta at Texas ...

By: Yep
by: EekDec 24, 2018 6:49:32 AM

That doesn’t seem very sisterly...I guess it really is just 4 years not for life if you reject a fellow sister transferring to your school. What if they transfer to be closer to home or because the program they’re interested in is better here? Barring anything too dramatic (like the transfer has a poor standing with her current chapter, grades in the toilet, etc) why would you not welcome a transfer? Isn’t that part of the resining for joining a sorority? So you have this larger network and have a community no matter where you go?

By: Eek
by: @EekDec 24, 2018 10:55:54 AM

I don't think it's so much being unsisterly as much as the "good" chapter knowing that a transfer wants to affiliate for superficial reasons.

Ex: A red flag would probably be a girl from Mountain Brook who initiated into Tri Delt at Oklahoma State and now wants to affiliate with the Bama chapter.

By: @Eek
by: ^Dec 24, 2018 11:03:38 AM

An even bigger red flag would be someone who got cut from Old Row at Bama, then transferred to a school where the house they wanted was easy to get into, then initiated and transferred back to Bama expecting to affiliate.

By: ^
by: YepDec 24, 2018 1:51:21 PM

Yeah the above is the actual red flag situation. You never know why someone is transferring for the first time, could be a family thing, a program, whatever. Chapters usually let those girls affiliate. But if you’re transferring BACK after rushing unsuccessfully they’re gonna take a second look at what’s actually going on

By: Yep
#2  by: Wait   

I guess I'm just really naive, do people actually do this intentionally? I could see if you decided to transfer because you liked the other school better and it happened to be a perk that your sorority was top there, but actually going in with the mindset of "oh I can easily get into aopi at Bama and then transfer to aopi at UGA" is INSANE omg, that's a great way to ruin your own sorority experience and ensure that you end up with girls that you don't really vibe with.

By: Wait
by: EhDec 24, 2018 8:34:24 AM

Kind of. You’ll get the odd girl every once in a while who transfers between two big schools (like UA and Texas or something) and rushes a house intentionally for the second school, but usually what happens is girls will go to a smaller school for a year (like UNA or USA) and pledge a house that’s good here and then transfer. USA is a big one bc they have 5 sororities and all are old row at UA except for AOPi.

Some houses will accept any transfers with good grades/rep (usually the first chapter sends some sort of recommendation) and some houses are a lot stricter.

By: Eh
by: @EhDec 24, 2018 10:40:36 AM

Alpha Gam at UAB used to be a "feeder" chapter for Psi chapter -- their longtime advisor was a Psi alum with a lot of pull, and members who would transfer to Bama could be assured of a good recommendation from her if they wanted to affiliate and they had the grades and a clean rep. That said, she passed away a few years ago and things may have changed.

By: @Eh
#3  by: lmao   

If youre really concerned about where you belong in greek life rather than where you belong institutionally, I dont think you should be in college

By: lmao
#4  by: truth   

Girls join houses and transfer universities for lots of reasons. Why would you think less of anyone for doing so. And if they get to know the girls at their new university and want to affiliate, more power to them. Some of you have demonstrated your small minds and unkind hearts on this thread. I'd suggest you think about what a sorority really means (hint: sisterhood) and stop judging your sisters.

By: truth

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.