facebook

musings

by: so..

why is APhi pronounced like 'fee' whereas you would always say,for example Pi Phi to rhyme w/ eye or like Gphi (eye). Why??

Posted By: so..
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Lol   

Throwback to before rushing when I thought it was random and either one worked so I said “alpha fye” And “gamma fee” all the time

By: Lol
#2  by: bama   

cos how else would we rhyme Aphi with it hurts to pee, huh

By: bama
by: Wow.Oct 29, 2018 9:53:19 AM

No one's ever heard that one before. You're so creative!

By: Wow.
#3  by: Greek   

I think if Phi comes after a vowel it's "fee" not "fi". Alpha Phi sounds pretty imo

By: Greek
by: bamaOct 29, 2018 11:06:28 AM

sensitive much

By: bama
by: WatOct 29, 2018 11:55:41 AM

How is that comment sensitive lmao

By: Wat
#4  by: hello   

When the word before the "Phi", starts with a vowel, it is pronounced "Fee".

By: hello
by: ^Oct 30, 2018 7:53:13 AM

Nope. Epsilon and Upsilon do not END with a vowel.

By: ^
#5  by: a fee   

I think I read its bc the founders wanted it to sound like fee in female to be some kind of female empowerment

By: a fee
#6  by: Actually   

Friendly reminder that just because a Greek organization pronounces it one way does not mean that is the correct Greek pronunciation lol. The letters are pronounced differently even across Greece and differ hugely from Ancient Greek.

In modern Greek it’s generally pronounced “fee” no matter what it comes after. Fun fact, pi is also technically pronounced as “pee.” The English pronunciations are way off base in most cases. Beta=veeta, mu=me, etc. So pi phi should actually be pee veeta fee lmao.

Thx for coming to my ted talk

By: Actually
#7  by: Greek   

Modern Greek is basically irrelevant to sororities and fraternities though. Our founders didn’t study it. If they studied Greek at all, then they studied Ancient Greek. The entire concept of using Greek letters was supposed to be a nod to classical education.

Plenty didn’t learn it at all, though. There are Greek orgs whose mottos/meanings behind their letters/passwords/etc. are or were incorrect because they didn’t speak the language themselves and basically just asked somebody who did (especially on the women’s side—most women didn’t get the benefit of a classical education back then).

By: Greek

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.