facebook

junior rushing, oos

by: aprilmay

Does being an out of state, upperclassman transfer hurt my chances of getting a bid from a sorority? I'm from New York and transferring to UGA in fall 2013, but I'm nervous about going through rush and not getting a bid anywhere because I'm OOS and a junior.

Posted By: aprilmay
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: sorry   

a lot of sororities simply wont offer you a id because you a junior. it is nothing against you, but most only take only freshman or sophomores

By: sorry
#2  by: ugagirl   

I believe that most of the sororities which make quota do not accept juniors, but do have a small portion of their quota dedicated to sophomores.

By: ugagirl
#3  by: Alum   

I'm a sorority alum and send lots of recommendations in on women rushing at UGA. Truthfully, it will be rough as a junior. :( UGA will have a 2013 upperclassman quota designed to give transfers and other non-freshmen a better chance at getting bids, but it's still harder as a junior and sororities can choose not to use the upperclassman quota.

Give it your very best, but know going in that your junior standing will likely cause heavy cuts. If you get invites back, stick with the process even if your favorites drop you. The great news is that every UGA sorority has much to offer -- be willing to accept a bid from any of them.

You'll need a strong GPA, good activity resume and recommendations to every chapter. Learn more about them at UGA's Panhellenic site -- I think under FAQ. Also, if you're shy/quiet/reserved/introverted, work on communication and conversation skills. UGA rush is big -- about 1600 women last year. Quiet natures can get lost in the multitudes and you'll want to be comfortable meeting sorority members. Also, if it's going to take longer than two more years to finish your degree, make sure sorority members and women doing recommendations know that you'll have more than two years to give to the chapter.

Again -- give it your best and hopefully the upperclassman quota will help you out. All the best!

By: Alum
by: ^ This.Apr 21, 2013 3:11:44 PM

But especially, you must be open to EVERY house.

By: ^ This.
#4  by: realistically    

you most likely will not get a bid at a top tier sorority unless they have a large number of upperclassmen drop out their senior or junior years. Upperclassmen will sometimes drop out to avoid paying dues, this happened to XO last year with their senior class.
You're options will certainly be limited but it is possible to get a bid. Best of luck to you

By: realistically
#5  by: not that limitec   

Probably won't get a bid to the top sororities but many sororities, including good ones, do give a lot of bids to upperclassmen. It is more selective though.

By: not that limitec
#6  by: cmm2   

The "top tier" sororities won't bid on you but there are plenty of other sororities that do take upper classman / transfers.
I def say you should rush. Just keep a open mind and don't think if you can't get in with the best you are going to quit.

By: cmm2

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.