facebook

sororities officially doing spring recruitment

by: lol

The ones OFFICIALLY doing rush are theta, zeta, and adpi. HOWEVER, DG, Pi Phi, Kappa, and KD are eligible to also sign up to do spring rush but have not yet and may do just COBs.

Posted By: lol
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Nah   

KD and Kappa have never and will never do spring rush. Not sure where you're getting your facts from

By: Nah
#2  by: ^^^   

^^^

By: ^^^
#3  by: interesting   

Usually a group is only eligible if they are below the chapter total (which is usually the average size of all the chapters). It is interesting that KD and DG would be listed because on the fall grade report, they were in the top 4 based on chapter size. Did they both have a large number of members graduate in December or leave for nursing school or transfer? Also, based on the fall numbers, Alpha Phi and DZ, were in the bottom half as far as number of members (please don't yell at me, I am not saying anything about rankings or tiers with this statement, it is just a fact about chapter numbers), so why aren't they eligible?

By: interesting
by: tbhJan 18, 2017 11:35:54 PM

not sure, those are just the ones I was told, the person who told me may not have given me a complete list of eligibility because it was just a normal speaking conversation and not like serious or anything

By: tbh
by: end of fall #sJan 19, 2017 8:19:31 AM

From the grade report
ADPi 168
Alpha Phi 306
Chi O 354
Tri Delt 340
DG 342
DZ 326
Theta 277
KD 365
Kappa 326
Phi Mu 344
Pi Phi 326
Zeta 324

So just doing a little math, the average is 316, but the total may be figured differently when a new chapter comes on campus. If you don't use ADPi's number, the average is 330. I would hope that the total is recalculated to take into account mid year grads, transfer and resignations so the "real" numbers are used for fairness. Most national organizations require their chapters to COB to campus total, even if the chapter isn't thrilled about it.

So if you just look at these numbers and use 330, you would have seven groups needing to recruit more members, but again, the spring numbers may be different and I am not certain about what "total" number panhellenic is using.

It is an interesting conversation and I still haven't seen the list posted on the Greek Life page.

By: end of fall #s
by: heyJan 19, 2017 12:49:04 PM

Campus total is 320 right now

By: hey
by: GreekJan 20, 2017 8:52:46 AM

It is unfair to view spring COB negatively. Members do not usually resign because they dislike a sorority, which is what many people believe. Membership normally decreases due to members transferring schools (I.e. Nursing school), resigning bc of finances, studying abroad (where status changes to inactive member) or graduating in December. Also, some sororities are required by Nationals to participate in any recruitments held on campus, whether they take new members or not.

By: Greek
by: OkayJan 20, 2017 9:21:56 AM

^^^ That actually makes sense. Thank you for explaining

By: Okay
#4  by: here   

participating sororities are:
Alpha Delta Pi

Delta Zeta

Kappa Alpha Theta

Pi Beta Phi

Sigma Alpha

Zeta Tau Alpha

By: here
by: yesJan 19, 2017 5:49:05 PM

this list can also be found on the lsu greek site

By: yes
by: Alpha PhiJan 20, 2017 6:47:52 AM

I wonder why Alpha Phi isn't participating? They were below 320 at the end of the fall (306) and are probably lower than that now (since ever chapter loses some members over the holiday break).

By: Alpha Phi
by: ehJan 22, 2017 11:39:32 AM

alpha phi had the largest pledge class during fall recruitment

By: eh
#5  by: jen   

I take that back, they're actually just mid tier

By: jen
#6  by: Info   

Some sororities have it in there national charters that a chapter must participate if there is a campus recruitment period whether its Fall or Spring. That doesn't mean they will offer bids and usually only 3 or 4 at the most are given out.

By: Info
by: national rulesJan 22, 2017 10:19:18 AM

If a sorority is above total they cannot offer any bids when a campus holds secondary recruitment event, so if they can't offer a bid, they can't participate. National rules for most groups state if they are below total they MUST participate (or COB if a campus doesn't have a formal secondary recruitment)and offer bids until they are at total.

I may be wrong, but I don't know of any chapter that considers members who are abroad or doing internships away from cmpus as inactive, they just usually pay reduced fees since they cannot participate because they are away, but they are still considered chapter members for things such as chapter size.

By: national rules

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.