facebook

bid day basket

by: mom

Hi I am a mom of a girl who is about to go through recruitment. I know in our hometown bid day baskets were a big deal. Do a lot of moms order bid day baskets for their girls at TCU? If so does anyone have any suggestions on where the best place to order one is?

Posted By: mom
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Yes   

Contact Brownbag. They are the local sorority store.

By: Yes
by: SOSAug 4, 2014 1:23:14 PM

You can find Brown Bag on line and they are also close to campus. Purchasing a Bid Day Basket is your personal preference. Not that many girls get one here which might be good because everything is SO competitive here. I do know a few girls that got one. I think most families get some cute things along for their daughters. I got a lot at Christmas. Your daughters Big Sister will also give her things too. I hope this is helpful and know the vast majority of us appreciate all the great moms here!

By: SOS
#2  by: huh?   

What is this? Should my mom be doing this?

By: huh?
#3  by: Hmm   

Okay to be honest we had someone's panhel association do this for the girl and we thought it was kind of overboard because her face and name were literally all over everything (although she definitely stood out- we all remembered her name). Apparently houses like chi o get them a lot but it just depends on the house. Also if you're going to do that, you should contact brown bag ASAP. they need a few weeks to finish orders usually. Many of the girls in my house had never heard of it, so it's not a big deal if you decide to do it or not!

By: Hmm
by: BasketsAug 2, 2014 11:15:07 PM

I don't know what you are talking about but I thought this post was talking about getting a basket for bid day, you know, like her mom wants to buy her some sorority stuff that she can get when she finds out what house she is in. A lot of the southern girls in my chapter got stuff like this from their parents on bid day.

By: Baskets
by: OopsAug 3, 2014 12:56:21 AM

Sorry I missed the bid day part haha. I was talking about for recruitment, some Panhellenic associations make baskets for their girls that go through and send them to the houses.

By: Oops
#4  by: im sorry   

But this is sooooo helicopter motherish. Your child is in COLLEGE. This would be inappropriate in kindergarten. it is unthinkable in college. Just chill. I know you are trying to be nice, but come on.

By: im sorry
by: What?Aug 4, 2014 1:39:33 PM

Maybe a few of you have Mama issues but please do not put that on the rest of us! Asking if it is a standard procedure to purchase a gift basket with your daughters new house items is not out of line. It is actually respectful to try to learn what the norm is here.
The answer is that at TCU this is not a widely done thing like it is at some schools. However, there would be no way to know that if you were not familiar with campus practice at TCU. If you still want to get a few things for your daughter for her new house then Brown Bag is our local sorority store.

By: What?
#5  by: Go Away Mom   

Are you going to change her diaper and tuck her into bed each night after recruitment is done?

By: Go Away Mom
by: RudeAug 3, 2014 5:01:37 PM

Wow, this mom was only trying to see if it was appropriate to get her daughter presents on bid day. There are some schools where it is considered strange not to receive gifts from family members. If getting her daughter a gift is considered the same to you as changing diapers then you must have never gotten you any gifts when something big happened to you. Geez.

By: Rude
by: HmmAug 4, 2014 10:07:51 AM

Sorry but adults who come on this web site deserve what they get. They were horrible last year coming here to scream about their perfect daughter not getting the house she wanted. Parents don't belong here.

#6  by: opinion   

I agree that "Go Away Mom" was super rude and inappropriate. But we do need to start being honest with ourselves about the major helicopter moms at our school and Greek System. We can embrace them and let them got crazy and out do each other on everything. Or we can start reining them in and but boundaries on them. There is no right or wrong answer, but we do need to admit that these helicopter moms are playing a major role in everything. Ignoring it won't make it go away.

By: opinion
#7  by: okay   

Can someone stop judging this mom and let us all know what these baskets are so other moms can do it? Thanks.

By: okay
by: HmmAug 4, 2014 10:10:57 AM

Obviously if no one knows what they are then it isn't a thing here. Duh. It's going to be a new way now where some moms end up going over the top and we already have a problem with that! This isn't Alabama or UT

by: answerAug 4, 2014 11:20:40 AM

A bid day basket is literally just a basket full of sorority stuff. Kinda self-explanatory. It's not a big deal if your mom doesn't get one or if she does. As another poster said its kind of a big school, southern thing and its not done as much at TCU, but it has been done. I don't know if Brownbag makes them or if you just buy random stuff and put it together yourself.

By: answer
#8  by: basket   

Your daughter will receive a ton of stuff from her big later. A basket might be a waste of money

By: basket

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.