facebook

greek community

by: TCU

Which school has the strongest Greek system and why: TCU, SMU or UT

Posted By: TCU
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Greek   

Since every campus is different and every chapter changes year to year with new people coming and old people leaving how is this a relevant question

By: Greek
#2  by: It Depends   

It depends what you mean by strongest. If you mean most traditional, most like you picture it then UT. If you mean which school has the strongest presence and percentage of campus in Greek Life, then it's TCU. TCU has a great system, but a little bit of the experience is taken away by not having real houses.

I don't know much about SMU, but I haven't heard great things about their Greek Life.

By: It Depends
by: SMUSep 26, 2013 7:25:01 PM

is universally considered one of the elite Texas Greek systems along with UT, TCU and possibly Tech. SMU like TCU has around 40% in Greek life. UT and Tech are both closer to 15%, but both are larger schools with somewhat more diverse student bodies (and 15% is fairly high for public universities excluding schools like Ole Miss, Bama, and Georgia). UT is probably the most traditional, and is the only one of the four to offer housing that allows for both live-in and parties. SMU has nice on campus houses, maybe the closest thing to a true Greek row in the state, but cannot have social functions in them, and has an administration that is slowly running their system into the ground. TCU doesn't have true houses to speak of but still has a very strong Greek system that is slightly less traditional than the previous two, and which, like them, has a lot of money. Tech has "lodges" which they can't live in, some of which allow social events, but socially speaking their Greek system is solid and fun, and they still have a fair amount of money in some chapters.

By: SMU
by: ^Sep 26, 2013 8:49:05 PM

This was a great synopsis of the different greek systems around the state, but you forgot my school (Baylor). Haha no problem we get it.

By: ^
by: ^Sep 27, 2013 10:52:57 AM

Baylor is hard to compare directly to the rest mentioned. While it's wealthy and fairly old, it also has chapters that are like 60ish members on the high end and doesn't have anything like housing. They along with Texas A&M, Texas State, Southwestern and SFA (for various different reasons) are probably honorable mentions. Beyond those they're all kind of mediocre to poor Greek scenes.

By: ^
by: 14 boundFeb 28, 2014 10:41:11 AM

Thanks for the education as I am about to make final decisions for next year. Even without houses, I still feel TCU has the most going for it.

By: 14 bound
by: 14 boundFeb 28, 2014 10:41:12 AM

Thanks for the education as I am about to make final decisions for next year. Even without houses, I still feel TCU has the most going for it.

By: 14 bound
#3  by: question   

Is Baylor getting houses? I heard somewhere they are soon

By: question
#4  by: Spirit   

This was interesting information

By: Spirit
#5  by: Tx C   

This has some intersting facts and real houses would be a huge plus. Still our TCU system does hold its own. Love my frogs!!!

By: Tx C
#6  by: Answers    

Cool facts but wouldn't trade by TCU chapter for any house

By: Answers
#7  by: Hum   

This thread was pretty cool to read. I still wouldn't want to be anywhere other than Texas Christian University.

By: Hum
#8  by: Frogman   

Cool post with intersting info

By: Frogman
#9  by: Frog   

We may not have a traditional house but our greek spirit is tops without a doubt.

By: Frog

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.