facebook

Why I wish I never joined a sorority at UNL

by: TruthTeller

I was in a sorority and am currently dropping. I wish I had never joined this sorority. They haze the freshman. They have also cohersed me into signing a contract at chapter that forces you to pay for the entire next year (not just semester) or get fined $50 every month until you sign the contract. In addition I was fined for a cleaning day that I did even though they fined me for the wrong date. Sororities don’t care about you, they care about money. The way they chose girls is based on connections and it’s not fair to those who are out of state. My sorority sisters encourage one another to not go to class rather than going to class together. We’ve been on probabtion every year since I’ve joined. Join a campus club instead. My true friends are people I’ve meet outside of greek life.

Posted By: TruthTeller
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Not my experience.   

It sounds like you signed a contract without reviewing it. Not sure how that is your house’s fault. Sororities are organizations that maintain huge houses, bankroll social events, etc. so there is definitely a monetary obligation to it that is fully disclosed yo every PNM during recruitment. No house is making a profit or money off their members. Don’t be ridiculous.

Sorry you’ve had a bad experience in your house and haven’t had any positives but that is YOUR experience and not indicative of what every member feels.

I love my house and my sisters and I’m from out of state with no prior connections and got a bid from the house I wanted. Your experience doesn’t speak for all of us.

By: Not my experience.
by: XxxJun 15, 2023 11:43:39 PM

They forced us to bring our computer to chapter and told us we couldn’t leave until we signed the contract and had to show the president. In addition, every month we left it unsigned we’d get charged $50. It was very much cohersion.

By: Xxx
by: greekJul 10, 2023 10:37:25 AM

have some sympathy

By: greek
#2  by: !!!   

What house are you in?

By: !!!
#3  by: Hey girl   

I’m not sure what sorority you are in but we were also forced into signing a contract or getting fined. I will also say that they have failed to show us exactly where our money is going. They only show certain dues but never show us a full list of where every due we pay goes.

By: Hey girl
#4  by: truth   

No chance they FORCED you to sign anything. They definitely told you about the contract weeks if not months in advance and you either didn't listen or you didn't bother going to chapter. Stop blaming other people for your own decisions

By: truth
#5  by: Anonymous   

Yep. Wish I’d never joined a fraternity here either but I acknowledge the two are quite different. The incessant money grabbing and overly didactic talk of “brotherhood and sisterhood” is irritating to no end. If I could do it over again, I wouldn’t have rushed.

By: Anonymous

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.