facebook

Why isn't there a ZTA chapter at OU?

by: Zeta Gurl

So, why didn't ZTA ever make it at OU? Anybody know? I emailed the alumni chapter in OKC/Norman. I didn't get an answer other than they are never going to try at OU again.
Yikes!

Posted By: Zeta Gurl
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: adksjnfkjsdf   

Well for starters, they sold their property/house a decade and half ago, and to have the chance to be a successful organization at OU, you're likely going to need a chapter facility (BYX is an exception, albeit their membership is targeted for a specific type of person).

OU sorority culture is very traditional and the rankings do not change much year-to-year. To start a sorority at OU in 2023, or any year after, for that matter, would be a tall order that would take an intense amount of time, capital, and energy - which many do not have - especially an organization (like ZTA) who gave up in the mid 2000s.

To restart a fraternity at OU is a much easier task, assuming one has access to a chapter house. See ATO or PIKE's success in the past decade. Both organizations restarted and have seen a tremendous amount of success; both being top tier no matter how you slice it. Although for ATO/PIKE to be good, a few other fraternities had to falter...see SAE and, arguably, DELT after their house burnt down.

It's a tough environment.

By: adksjnfkjsdf
#2  by: y'all gossippy   

"a tall order that would take an intense amount of time, capital, and energy - which many do not have - especially an organization (like ZTA) who gave up in the mid 2000s."

1. Extension and reestablishments are paid for and completely managed by the HQ.
2. Zeta has plenty of money.
3. Most organizations that leave any campus have an agreement to explore reestablishment after a specific period of time. Once that period has passed, the next time the campus feels it is ready for another organization (based on recruitment numbers), that organization will have the opportunity to "apply" to return.
4. If Zeta were to return, they would probably want to build a new house—not one that has been lived in by a bunch of dirty frat guys.
5. I am not writing this as a Zeta stan—I'm an employee of a different HQ who is lurking (because Google brought me down a rabbit hole) - and I love to clear up misinformation.

On another note, about 90% of the time y'all comment on "nationals" or an HQ, you are wrong. Hilariously wrong. But do carry on as we all get a kick out of it.

By: y'all gossippy
#3  by: Alum   

I’m not a ZTA but was a student shortly before they left (now the mom of a PNM).

At the time, there were very distinct tiers and ZTA and Phi Mu (who left around the same time) were the absolute bottom. Both had beautiful houses that they couldn’t fill and at rush it was obvious they were struggling. PNMs were told that joining either of these chapters would make them social outcasts.

Because of the tent talk and reputation (whether deserved or not) as an undesirable house, they really struggled during recruitment. PNMs whose pref night invitations were to Zeta and Phi Mu would just drop out of rush.

I’m not sure exactly what happened in the end, but I would assume that eventually they just didn’t have the numbers to justify keeping the chapter going.

By: Alum
#4  by: Alum   

I actually do think that if they recolonized at OU, they would have a decent shot at being successful. It's been long enough that I don't think the previous reputation would matter, and ZTA is strong enough nationally and regionally that I think it would appeal to PNMs whose other options were lesser known, especially if they're from Texas and have friends who have gone Zeta at the Texas schools where it's strong.

By: Alum
#5  by: OUZTAALUM   

Former OU ZTA here. ZTA has colonized twice at OU. When I was in the chapter, it housed 90 girls and was one of the largest houses on campus. We always made quota and were a very good ZTA chapter nationally. Honestly, the house was built before its time (too big) and built poorly in the early 1980’s. It had a lot of updating needed, and girls were forced to live in-house because of the housing capacity. When I was there, we had a lot of girls on the OU Med/nursing path and they didn’t want to commute from Norman to OKC, so dropped. We alums were given notice about 6 weeks before nationals was going to close the chapter for financial reasons. Had they contacted us earlier needing help, we would’ve easily donated $ to the cause. We still have a pretty big group of OU ZTA Gamma Upsilon alums who would love to hear ZTA coming back to campus some day.

By: OUZTAALUM
by: BoomerAug 18, 2023 7:46:14 PM

This makes a lot of sense. I have always heard rumors, but never heard for sure what happened.

By: Boomer
#6  by: PHI MU KD FIRST    

To be honest PHI MU is stronger at most SEC schools over ZTA. So if SEC is OK I would think to put in a PHI MU chapter first. I notice ZTA alums all over Greek rank asking for ZTA to come back on SEC campuses where the Nationals chose to close the chapters due to to recruitment numbers. I am not a PHI MU or ZTA but I was a in a top sorority at two SEC schools and have various family members in other sororities. ZTA had an issue of over expansion and had to pull back this is just a fact. Nothing against ZTA or the Crown girls but I think they need to take a step back they are not as strong as PHI Mu OR KAPPA DELTA IN SEC.

By: PHI MU KD FIRST
#7  by: ZTA why???   

YOU have 5 chapters needing to COB at OU why would you think it would make since to add another this is why National closed. Right now is not the timing. Also agree KD and PHI MU are strong in the SEC. ZTA at UF looks like a lot of club girls. I think National ZTA made them take photos off instagram. This was not the case for KD Or PHI MU.

By: ZTA why???
#8  by: ZTA SEC TROLLS    

AS AN ADPI I agree ZTA goes around SEC schools posting why do they not have chapters when their own National closed chapters down. So I assume it is the same person. ADPI, PHI MU AMD KD are all better at the majority of SEC SCHOOLS. ZTA is not nationally a top 10 sorority. I know some very nice ZTA's just as I do women from other houses. ZTA appears the only one behaving this way.

By: ZTA SEC TROLLS
#9  by: Pan Pan   

Pan decides when it's time to expand and add a new house. They take presentations from many greek fraternities and then the larger group votes, usually from 3 options. It's not time for a new house right now.

By: Pan Pan

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.