facebook

mom coming for rush

by: Top Tier Legacy

My mom said she is coming for rush to be here for moral support. Is this a good idea? Will this look bad or good? My friends at other big sec universities went thru rush and their moms didn't go- they only went to bid day if their daughter went her particular sorority. I don't know what to do.

Posted By: Top Tier Legacy
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Yes   

Tons of moms will be here all week. It's more common for them to come on Friday and stay until bid day. bid day is totally crazy with more parents than student!

Rush is brutal! Cuts hurt! Having your mom there to remind you about how wonderful you are is helpful!

My mom helped me with my resumes and packets and finding recs and choosing clothes for rush, it was natural to have her there on bid day as well.

Tbh, all the incredible bid day photos you see everywhere were taken by parents. Most of us girls were too excited to even think about pictures.

By: Yes
by: SeriouslySep 17, 2015 9:27:47 AM

Wow seriously? Cuts hurt? Having mommy there to remind you how wonderful you are is helpful! It was natural for her to share in bid day as well? Are you in kindergarten or college? Is it mom's life or yours? I'm sure you ARE a "wonderful" human being but girl... time to cut the cord... many more things in life are more hurtful than being cut by a sorority- if you can't handle that without your mommy then life is going to be truly rough for you... so sad

By: Seriously
by: ^^^^Sep 17, 2015 10:16:45 AM

So sorry you don't have a great relationship with your mom! No need to put the rest of us down for wanting our moms to enjoy in a special day with us!

Bitter much!

By: ^^^^
by: actuallySep 17, 2015 10:40:24 AM

Actually I have a FANTASTIC relationship with my mom! She was as excited for me on bid day as I was- however she's my mom, not my "bestie"- bid day was something she felt I should share with my new sisters- not with her... she already had her bid day... and she already taught me that I don't need her to constantly tell me what a wonderful person I am- she taught me great self-confidence which I know I can rely on when my feelings get hurt...

By: actually
by: stop the petty bickering Sep 17, 2015 12:53:30 PM

The put downs aren't becoming of us as Panhellenic women.

Everyone has a different relationship with their moms and that is fine! It's not your place to judge someone else's relationship with their mom or attack the person for it.

Just be thankful that you have a mom you have a good relationship with and that it works for you. What works for other people is not yours to judge!

By: stop the petty bickering
by: @stop the petty....Sep 17, 2015 12:59:40 PM

Thank you for the common sense that is sometimes lacking on GR.

By: @stop the petty....
#2  by: Moms   

Thousands of moms will be here. Dads too!

By: Moms
#3  by: So   

Why would it look bad or good? You're not going to be telling the actives that your mom came this week...are you? Lol, I wouldn't unless it was pref and you really connected with the girl. That's too personal otherwise.

Plenty of parents come right before bid day. If your mom is going to be here all of rush week, that sounds like a bit of overkill to me, especially since you seem ambivalent about it, but I don't know your relationship with her.

By: So
#4  by: whoop whoop   

Hear that sound? It's the thousands of helicopter moms descending on Ole Miss. What's one more?

By: whoop whoop
by: PersonallySep 17, 2015 9:28:46 AM

Personally I love my mom and love the fact that she was here!

My big and I actually bonded over the fact that we were both super close with our moms.

Tbh most of us speak to our moms on the phone at least once a day!

At least 25% of our actives will have their moms here as well helping out behind the scenes, feeding us and helping run errands.

Unwinding over dinner with your mom after rounds was way easier than going back to the dorms. The tension and stress there is too much for most of us to handle without falling apart.

By: Personally
#5  by: @Top Tier Legacy   

The most relevant question is: what do YOU want? Do YOU want your mom here the whole week? Will it be too much pressure? Will it be distracting in a negative way? Will it help you feel supported? Will it help you relax and be a positive distraction?

Only you can answer those questions. Then tell your mom what you would like her to do. Don't be afraid to tell her "Really mom I got this and I would be more comfortable alone" if you don't want her to come for the whole week. If you want her to come, then it's perfect for you.

As for recruitment...no one is going to care whether your mom is here or not. Like another girl said, I wouldn't bring it up during recruitment because...as you can see...there are differing opinions on the topic. But I doubt your roommate or your college friends will care much. Some might be jealous that you have a more supportive mom...others might think it's weird that you haven't cut the cord...but it's not going to affect your recruitment either way.

Personally my mom came just for the weekend. She arrived on Friday night and we hung out on Saturday before Prefs and then she was there on Bid Day to watch me run to my house and take pictures. It was perfect for me that way and I feel that that is what's most common.

By: @Top Tier Legacy
#6  by: ?   

Is it a rush violation? Check Panhellenic rush rules please. I thought alumnae are not supposed to contact pnms or actives during rush week or hang out on campus. Isn't there a rule about pnms not staying with alumnae also during recruitment? Why add more stress to a crazy sleep-deprived week?

By: ?
by: Rules?Sep 17, 2015 1:44:00 PM

We are talking about moms not alumni.

Pnm must sleep in the dorms during rush, they can't stay with their moms in the hotels. This is so the gamma chi's can find them if anyone gets dropped.
But they can have dinner with them and hangout on or off campus.

Alumni can't talk to pnm, but they can talk to the actives. There are rules that the alumni and moms can't be in the sorority houses during rush parties but that doesn't mean they can't help out behind the scenes before or after rush parties begin or end. Alumni advisors ARE allowed in the houses and will be there. Each sorority has several alumni advisors who will be there all week.

The sororities know the rules. If you have any questions ask your rush teams or your gamma chi's.

By: Rules?
by: LolSep 17, 2015 2:08:48 PM

You can still talk to your mom even if she is an alumna...

@Rules? I think ? was referring to the fact that this PNM is a legacy, but she can still talk to and hang out with her mom during rush week.

I would just steer clear of the other PNMs but you are welcome to hang out with your own mother...

By: Lol
#7  by: oos   

i'm from way out of state and so my mom won't be coming for bid day. will i feel left out? i personally don't really care that she is not coming because it would be sort of ridiculous for her to travel over 1000 miles for bid day, but i don't want to be the only pnm without their mom there ya know

By: oos
by: OosSep 17, 2015 9:57:44 PM

I'm from Houston and my mom flew in for bid day along with about 20 other moms. I think the Houston moms are already organizing happy hours and other events for when we are in rounds. I'm pretty sure Jackson and Memphis and Dallas and Atlanta, etc moms are doing the same.

When I say that bid day is crazy, I mean it's totally crazy!!! So much fun to run past thousands of cheering people as you run to your new home!

Parents only stay for a couple of hours, then leave. That's when the real fun starts!

I'm glad that my mom was here because it was nice to get away from all the crazy girls in the dorms and relax. I'd say it was probably 50 - 50 as far as the ration of girls who had their moms here.

Oos moms usually came Friday and made a weekend out of it. Moms who live closer came in just bid day to watch the girls run.

By: Oos
by: SorrySep 17, 2015 10:05:17 PM

Sorry your mom is far away and I know it can be hard but you can get through it. You'll be okay.

There will be plenty of parents here but other oos girks won't hVe parents here during recruitment either.

Maybe you can do thd next best thing and Facetime or talk on the phone with your mom instead?

By: Sorry
#8  by: YCMTSU   

Is this a parody site?

By: YCMTSU
by: ha!Sep 18, 2015 6:54:23 AM

I wish... sadly no...

By: ha!

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.