facebook

asking local alumnae chapters (strangers) for recs

by: PNM

Any advice on what to say when contacting my local alumnae chapters to ask for recs? Please provide positive responses because I am very stressed about this!

Posted By: PNM
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Well...   

How about leading with the fact that you will be attending ole miss in the fall and you are in need of recommendations.

tbh, ladies actually love helping girls find recs.

By: Well...
#2  by: PNM:)   

Hey! I'm also a PNM! If you want I can connect you to some of my family friends who would LOVE to write you a recommendation letter! I completely understand how stressful it is to get recs, especially when it comes to newer chapters (Alpha Phi).

My email is A.RLewis@yahoo.com

Good Luck! :)

By: PNM:)
by: What????Jul 2, 2015 8:09:07 PM

Your family friends are just going to write random strangers a rec? Seriously? She could be anyone, including the town drunk or town sl ut. Y'all are missing the point on what a recommendation is all about! This is why chapter alumni recs hold so much more weight than a non chapter alumni. A chapter alumni would never risk writing a rec for anyone she doesn't personally know. At least not in my sorority! At least a lady from her home town would be able to make a few phone calls and find out what this girls character is like!
Wow! Just wow!

By: What????
by: PNM:)Jul 2, 2015 9:01:31 PM

They wouldn't just write one without seeing her resume, cover letter, head shots, and of course going over her social media accounts to be sure that there isn't anything on there that is of bad character.

You must take into consideration that many girls that will be rushing don't come from families where their parents are affiliated with the Greek system, which for many will make those personal recommendations impossible to get. Especially considering there are 9 sororities at the University of Mississippi and one rec is required for each.

Stay positive, I'm sure shes a great girl, she is here showing initiative and seeking advice. :)

By: PNM:)
by: FYIJul 2, 2015 9:47:18 PM

There are 10 sororities at Ole Miss, not 9, with an eleventh, Alpha Phi, colonizing this fall

By: FYI
by: UmmmJul 2, 2015 11:01:49 PM

Resumes and pictures do not describe reputation. That is why there is a box on most rec forms that alumni will check when they do not know the pnm personally. These recs hold little to no value. Especially in the top six houses.

To the op. It is important for you to personally meet the alumni that writes your recs! Even if it is just to sit and drink a cup of coffee with them! So important!

By: Ummm

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.