facebook

does race matter?

by: kim

Just wondering, does race play a role in the final decision of who can become a freshman member of a sorority? I'm African-American, and I know there's "all black" sororities, but those really don't appeal to me AT ALL. I have a decent gpa and I'm not a bad person, but will all of that be ignored because of my skin? I just really want to know before I get my hopes up.. If I could at least know which panhellenic sororities will pledge blacks that would be great..

Posted By: kim
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: @kim   

Phi Mu has an African American sister who is also ASB president. Kappa Alpha Theta has black members as well.

As far as your personal chances, make sure your grades and extracurriculars are impressive, get recommendations for every house, and keep an open mind to every chapter.

By: @kim
#2  by: Oh   

and you probably should use your real name on here "Kim". Greeks look at this website, and it'll be far too easy to single you out during recruitment. And sorority girls, just by reading this post, will fear that you may stir up trouble because you're so worried about race. Just a precaution, but don't get your hopes too high.

By: Oh
#3  by: @Oh   

Kim is my real name..? I'm sure there's other things they could single me out for, I'm not THAT worried about race, did I state that I was?.. I was simply posing the question, I've seen other people do it on the site so i thought i could too..

By: @Oh
#4  by: Well   

if you're not that worried about race, then why did you ask? If it wasn't a big concern then this site should've just been left alone. Don't worry about it and just go through recruitment. If they want you, you'll get a bid somewhere. But asking if race is a factor in decision making is sort of insulting because each chapter has a selection process they must adhere to, along with sorting through thousands of girls. And we've cut girls in the past from this site because it's a source of drama that we don't need.

By: Well
#5  by: Rita   

Hey you could also start up a multicultural sorority

By: Rita

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.