facebook

informal

by: lol

DPhiE and ASA are doing informal as well as eight other undisclosed chapters according to the PHA Receuitment email. anyone know exactly which chapters those are? asking for my sad roommate that didn’t get a bid

Posted By: lol
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: ??   

We know SK, TPA and AGD.

Just guessing based on the numbers in bid day photos with smaller group photos: Phi Mu, AXO, ADPi, Alpha Phi (don't flame me, I truly have only seen a few photos and NONE of them have quota in them), DG (again, bid day photo did not have 57 in it).

By: ??
#2  by: sigh   

If Panhel wants to make IU recruitment from inclusive, then they should disclose the names of the chapters. It would destigmatize COB.

By: sigh
by: NoJan 21, 2019 7:32:41 PM

COB is not a Panhellenic planned or sponsored event so there is zero reason for Panhel to have the responsibility of publicizing it.

Plus, if a sorority only needs one or two people to make quota, forcing them to publicize it or hold an open event will only get a lot of girls excited about an opportunity that isn’t there. Most sororities keep a list of women who would be good potential members and draw from that list. The objective, after all, is to fill the pledge class as quickly as possible.

For what it’s worth, I think that a completely open COB event is a mistake for ANY sorority and attendees should be limited to women the sorority members know personally. They don’t need women who just want to join a sorority. They need women who want to join THEIR sorority.

By: No
by: we can do betterJan 21, 2019 8:43:51 PM

At many larger schools, COB is panhellenically sponsored so it can be regulated, grades can be verified more quickly, and the process more out in the open. For example, Florida State kicks theirs off with an open round at a campus building. All chapters who are even taking one woman have to participate in the open event, and there is less stigma attached to COB there. Each chapter also has to openly disclose how many women they are taking, so therefore a not of girls do not get their hopes up. The open event attracts women who transferred into the university in January who did not have the opportunity to go through formal recruitment, or girls who didn't do it and suddenly wish they had because their floormates are having such a good time.

Most chapters who COB are doing it because more girls a graduating than they expected or they are below campus total due to unforseen circumstances. I think it's awful that there is such a negative conniption attached to it here. My friends in Southern schools think it's so normal for different chapters from all tiers to have to do COB occasionally.

By: we can do better
#3  by: Hmmm   

Adpi took 57 so they made quota

By: Hmmm
by: yes, butJan 21, 2019 5:53:41 PM

You can still do informal if you made quota. :)

ADPi had taken much larger pledge classes in the past, maybe they want more than 57. Or maybe they have sophomores who don't want to live in again next year so they might need a few more girls. I know ADPi and SK both made quota, but I have been told they both have large graduating classes close to 60 women and you would be smart to replace your graduates number for number.

By: yes, but
#4  by: active   

I'm sorry about your sad roommate, but the rest of these houses are having private, invite-only recruitment events

Your roommate should look into houses that would actually consider her, such as DPhiE and ASA

No reason to be sad when she could be in a sorority if she actually gave more houses a chance

By: active
#5  by: COB   

The other chapters offering bids besides ASA and Dphie are more private and strictly contacting girls that they know via members in the chapter. If your roommate hasn’t been contacted by any chapters than her options are probably just going to be ASA and dphie as they are the only two chapters holding a public informal. The other chapters have probably either finished giving out the extra bids they wanted or will finish this week.

By: COB
#6  by: be nice   

Why are people making the OP feel bad? Why should COB be so secretive? It makes ASA and DPhiE look less than when everyone keeps throwing their name out but everyone knows that TPA, AGD, and SK are doing informal too.

What's to say that if someone didn't contact the chapters doing COB, they wouldn't be interested? If a girl has good grades, is cute and personable doesn't mean she isn't worthy of being in any chapter.

By: be nice
by: activeJan 21, 2019 7:44:46 PM

I'm not trying to make OP feel bad, I'm just trying to be honest and adjust her expectations. Invite-only recruitment is just that, it's invite-only. I'm not defending it or saying it's right, but this is how it is.

Sure, she can contact any chapter she wants, but it's not likely to end with a bid. It'd be much better for OP and her friend to focus on the chapters that would actually give htem a chance.

Let's take a familiar analogy--if you're interested in a guy and he rejects you when you ask him out on a date, how much time should you spend pining over him instead of talking to other guys who might actually be interested in you?

By: active
#7  by: COB not "informal"   

COB - Continuous Open Bidding. IU sororities just had primary recruitment. A PNM's best chance for a bid is during primary recruitment; that was everyone's chance to sign up and participate. Sororities aren't doing that again for another year. COB is different. COB is not some secondary 'informal' mini-rush, is not organized by panhellenic, and is strictly up to individual chapters as to when, how, or whether at all they will offer any bids. Chapters are limited as to how many open spots they still have after formal recruitment. Some will have only a few and choose to quietly offer bids to girls they know and are interested in, others will elect to not offer any. Chapters who have more than a few spots available may choose to have invitation-only events, others may have open events. Chapters are rounding out their memberships with COB, not having a do-over for disgruntled PNM's. It's COB, not "informal."

By: COB not "informal"
#8  by: Guest   

dg is too

By: Guest

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.