facebook

what do sororities look for?

by: Question

Seriously I really want to know...I am a very pretty girl with a fun/unique personality. Extremely outgoing and friendly yet I managed to be dropped by all sororities except one, how is that possible? I really truly don't understand what they are looking for because it can't simply be based on looks because I know that I am just as pretty as other girls getting asked back I just don't get it someone help?!!

Posted By: Question
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Msu   

They look a lot at grades and GPA, a lot on personality, your values, what you've done in your past in terms of volunteering, work. Also someone that's humble... and from the sound of this it doesn't sound like you really know what that means.

By: Msu
by: Greek GirlSep 17, 2017 11:38:07 PM

"MSU" the humble comment was unecessary AND mean. The PNM was just being honest. Lets face it, who you know in a house and where you are from does bear heavily in a system in which you have minutes to impress. It is natural for a house to select a known factor over an unknown one so often a PNM known by members will be chosen over someone unknown.

By: Greek Girl
by: SeriouslySep 18, 2017 5:55:38 AM

The humble comment was rude. Let's be honest there are a lot of active girls who are far from humble.

By: Seriously
by: QuestionSep 18, 2017 7:46:43 AM

Thanks. Honestly I am in no way not humble I was just trying to make the point that I am not less attractive than girls in houses and that's the only way to say that and yes it may come off snotty or conceited hut I wasn't trying to. I have a 3.8 GPA so I have a hard time believing that is an issue as well as extra curricular activities/volunteer work but after reading everyone else's comments as well I see that honestly my personality may just not fit.

By: Question
by: RealitySep 18, 2017 8:22:26 AM

There is no magic formula. I know girls in "top" tier sororities who are pretty had average gpas at best and little to no high school involvement. I also know girls who are pretty great gpas and very involved in high school who were dropped from "top" tier houses after the first round. Sometimes you just end up with a bad match with the actives you talk to and you have nothing in common so the conversation is awkward. Sometimes your nerves show so convo is not great. Sometimes it is the late in the day and you are tired and so is the active and things just don't go well. Sometimes houses screwup and let great girls go because they have to cut so many. I know you are disappointed and confused but you will drive yourself crazy trying to figure out why. I am sure you are a great girl and hopefully that one house works out and if not try again next year.

By: Reality
by: huhSep 18, 2017 4:21:26 PM

They don't look that closely at GPAs and legacies don't always get priority. There have been a lot of legacies not chosen by a sorority - it was a big think last couple of years. Humble? ha ha ha not really.

By: huh
#2  by: Advice   

It really isn't all based on who you know. You might think you're everything a house could be looking for and very well rounded, which you may be, but you just would not fit in the house, and the girls recruiting you know that and that is why you get dropped. And honestly getting dropped is usually for the best- it's indicative that you would not have gotten along easily with the members and that you simply would be a better fit somewhere else, because nonoxy wants their sister to feel left out and people who feel out of place in the house they get a bid from end up dropping, which is what no sorority wants.

By: Advice
#3  by: LOL   

Agree with a lot said above but 1) it depends on the house because lots of tops dropped people based on looks but 2) I think they look for how hard you're trying as well.

By: LOL

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.