facebook

who to join?

by: futureuottawa

I am going into first year in September and I have always wanted to join a sorority? Which one is best?

Posted By: futureuottawa
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: EnvyTheIvy   

It depends on what you're looking for.. You should definitely do some research and pick 3 or so you're interested in and check out some events from each of them. Each organization has something different to offer, and you'll only find your fit if you see your different options

By: EnvyTheIvy
#2  by: fuo   

Which one has the best reputation?

By: fuo
#3  by: Gretchen   

It really depends on which characteristics you value (philanthropy, popularity, parties, sisterhood etc.) every sorority has it's strengths.

By: Gretchen
by: fuoJun 20, 2015 5:41:18 PM

I want something that has good sisterhood but is popular too

#4  by: milakunis   

It depends on if you want local or panhel. I find theres more local sororities and UO. Local meaning there is usually only one chapter of the sorority, where as panhel is all over canada and the states. If your looking for local, i've heard good things about Nu Sigma Pi and Xi Delta Theta. For panhel, theres only 2 choices, Delta Delta Delta and Alpha Phi. Some locals also are sororities at carleton as well, which is cool. I suggest going on their websites and learning more!
Good luck!

By: milakunis
by: GretchenJun 24, 2015 10:10:30 PM

If you're looking for popularity the above mentioned sororities are definitely the most popular on campus. I would definitely recommend checking out at least one of each so you can hear the differences from the sisters firsthand unless you're already familiar with the international/local systems. Local/intl is a huge factor to consider when rushing.

By: Gretchen
#5  by: FutureSororityGrl    

Why does Delta Delta Delta have such a bad rep? I've heard of the sorority before and was hoping to rush but they seem to have some really bad reviews.

By: FutureSororityGrl
by: FutureSororityGrlJun 28, 2015 6:07:05 PM

Also are there any sororities like Delta Nu from Legally Blonde? Favourite movie ever! Do you have houses like them? Can't wait for fall :)

By: FutureSororityGrl
by: qwerJun 29, 2015 10:25:08 AM

1. most of sororities and fraternities that are in media are not real. They just make up names to avoid copyright and stuff
2. sororities dont have official houses in Ottawa since there's a law that considers 7 girls or more from living in the same house a brothel and no organization wants that
3. Greek life is not at all like in the movies. If you are coming thinking every single organization is just like Legally Blonde then you either open your mind a little or don't bother rushing

By: qwer
by: FutureSororityGirlJun 30, 2015 5:19:53 PM

^ That was pretty rude... What sorority are you in?

By: FutureSororityGirl
by: Lilly P.Jul 4, 2015 3:42:03 PM

Wow don't listen to her, she's probably just offended about your comment about rep. Your best bet on judging a sorority's reputation is going to as many rush events as possible and getting to know them. As for houses although sorority houses at Ottawa U aren't mansions like you see in the movies, a few sororities on campus do have houses with usually around 5-6 bedrooms. The sororities use this as a place to meet up and is always packed with sisters and boys from fraternities so it's a fun time. The fraternities also have houses where they host mixers and keggers. Having an experience similar to what you see in the movies is definitely possible if you choose the right sorority. Be sure to ask these kinds of questions during rush :)

By: Lilly P.
#6  by: fuo   

What is better local or international?
Who do the guys like best?
How many people get chosen?

by: RavenJul 4, 2015 9:10:01 PM

In my humble opinion, international sororities offer you more. They give you the whole sorority experience with an active social life, philanthropies and academic help. Some locals also give you this (not all of them put emphasis on academics though, or philanthropy for that matter), but internationals also offer you alumnae support post-undergrad. There's more accountability, and you get to know that you have sisters across North America, which is pretty cool.

By: Raven
by: zxcvbJul 5, 2015 7:55:16 AM

For locals usually an average of 10 girls get chosen, could me more, could be less depending. Like I said, it's the average number of what I've seen. As for international I've seen as large as 20 and as little as like 6 in both sororities and fraternities. Basically is just based if you would be a right fit for the sorority, not only getting along with the people but also if you are good with their values, social life, academics.... honestly just be super happy and excited to meet everyone! Keep an open mind at all times and ask the right questions. Like some sororities are not party people so if you just ask things about partying they may drop you out, or other sororities are not very academic and more party ppl so if you ask about classes and stuff they may also drop you out. So when you go meet people the best you can do is show them you are interested in the whole experience, from philantropy to academics to social life :) they will love you

By: zxcvb
by: Zac Aug 1, 2015 10:59:45 PM

international by far. Local sororities are not real sororities...

By: Zac
#7  by: zxcvb   

Also if you have pinterest just look for a "how to survive sorority recruitment" and there's a lot of posts about it
There's also a loooot of videos in youtube but also keep in mind all universities do recruitment differently. I binge watched a lot of these videos for when I rushed and they give amazing tips and you also have a good idea of what to expect from recruitment

By: zxcvb
#8  by: Gabby   

Keep in mind also that the scoring on this site is very rigged! My sorority isn't even in here, and we're all pretty sure alpha phi just sits there and gives themselves 5.0 scores and gives TriDelta the lowest possible to put themselves higher-- but TriDelts are actually really well liked in the Greek community. Definitely take a look at UOGC's site and gather some info on all the sororities on campus. Pick one that you will consider your family, not one based on their so-called rep on this site because it's pretty far from the reality. Hope that helps!

By: Gabby
by: alphabetagammaAug 27, 2015 7:51:26 PM

This whole local/international thing is slightly getting out of hand. Everyone has the same purpose as a sorority, with different pros and cons to them. No sorority is better than another, and i know that people will reply saying "thats because you probably got rejected by an international" but did you ever think that some people that actually stand up for Locals A) didn't get dropped but chose not to pledge international or B) Are international??

By: alphabetagamma
#9  by: Karen   

Not to mention locals are Not. sorority. Ew. 🙅🏼

By: Karen

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.