facebook

theta sigma psi (i think that's their letters?)

by: Question

So it's public knowledge that they're trying to colonize but i'm wondering why haven't they been able to? they've been around for quite some time now...

Posted By: Question
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Hmm   

It's hard to say, I imagine their trek to become Alpha Phi didn't work out because they were small and hadn't really established much, DPhiE seems to be going through heavy expansion all over the place but they probably were in the talks with KOB before Theta had a chance with them (although sororities are open to having chapters at both Carleton and Ottawa so this might still be an option.) My guess is that they put going international on pause since they lost Alpha Phi but I really don't know for sure. Would be interested to hear from a Theta about this.

By: Hmm
by: heyJan 3, 2017 7:51:05 PM

i can only imagine that DPhiE approached Theta first since they used to have a chapter at Uottawa and would probably have liked to recharter rather than start a brand new colony - i imagine theta turned them down

By: hey
by: TsmJan 3, 2017 8:41:46 PM

^That never happened, lol. After APhi colonized with Kappa Zeta Psi, Theta switched gears and are now going after another NPC sorority, but it was never DPhiE and DPhiE never approached them. Please don't bring Carleton sororities into this when you don't have a clue.

By: Tsm
by: HmmJan 3, 2017 9:03:01 PM

I'm the one who suggested DPhiE was an option, to clarify I DEFINITELY don't think that Theta turned them down, I honestly don't think Theta would turn down any international. Kappa/APhi turned down both DPhiE and Phi Sig when choosing to become APhi, meaning both of those are OPEN to expansion (or were during that year.) Although both are open to expansion, that does not mean that they're necessarily open to expansion with any sorority that's interested, at the end of the day it's the international sorority's choice who wears their letters and KOB was in a much better position at the time (and presently) than Theta. They need more girls and more involvement if they want an NPC to colonize with them, I believe that's likely what's holding them back. They really need to step up quantity (without compromising quality) as internationals have quotas that need to be met year after year. Theta isn't there yet but I hope they get there.

by: ahaJan 3, 2017 9:36:02 PM

KOB lol it's KAB

By: aha
by: HmmJan 3, 2017 10:42:19 PM

Haha sorry I joined the Greek community when they first became DPhiE!

#2  by: lol   

praying they don't being DPhiE or PhiSig... that would bring the carleton chapters down...

By: lol
by: ^Jan 3, 2017 11:33:22 PM

They would likely be turned down for the same reasons aphi turned them down, so don't worry haha

By: ^
by: lolJan 3, 2017 11:49:01 PM

what reasons are that?? i mean phi sigs is obvious - because of carleton.. and I imagine DPhiE's is because their chapter at ottawa U had gotten shut down because of hazing i think???

By: lol
by: ^Jan 4, 2017 10:47:34 AM

I meant that the international sorority's turned them down, Phi Sig offered kappa/aphi a chance to colonize with them so their internationals doesn't care about having two chapters in the same city. DPhiE is also open to expansion at uOttawa since they also offered kappa/aphi the chance to colonize. It's about whether they find Theta suitable or not, if they keep growing I'd say they have a good chance but the recruitment team needs to feel that you're a right fit for their sisterhood as well.

by: tsmJan 4, 2017 12:16:30 PM

That was before they colonized at Carleton. DPhiE is probably focusing on other areas now, and they likely want to see the Carleton chapter thrive for a few more years before revisiting the idea of uOttawa. It'll be another international that comes here next.

By: tsm
by: ^Jan 4, 2017 1:51:32 PM

DPhiE is one of the most rapidly expanding NPCs at the moment so I wouldn't make that assumption. Internationals don't see CU and uOttawa as one of the same, if they want to expand, they will.

#3  by: .   

The campus just isn't in a great position for expansion, in my opinion. Tri Delt and APhi have very different numbers for recruitment and chapter size, which would probably make an international nervous. If they decide to colonize, they want to be certain that their colony would be successful. They have to know that they can quickly recruit a huge class of girls all at once. I just don't think this campus is quite ready for another international to come here yet.

As for Theta specifically, their girls are so sweet and down to earth. However, they likely haven't been successful yet due to their numbers. There have been rumors that Xi Delt or Nu Sig are considering going international. If those rumors are true, these sororities could possibly be chosen by the international over Theta because they're bigger and have had more success with recruitment in the past.

I wish Theta the best of luck, I really hope it happens for them. I just don't know if it will happen in the near future. But I hope I'm wrong.

By: .
by: IdkJan 4, 2017 10:50:24 AM

Tridelt is so against Panhel it's ridiculous, worst Greek unity I've ever witnessed. Also Theta has been recruiting pretty big classes lately so I think they're putting themselves in a good position, their classes are bigger than both nu sig and Xi delt so that's somerthing those two really need to step up if they are interested in going international.

By: Idk
by: ^^Jan 4, 2017 12:14:49 PM

both nu sig and xi delt are really well established locals. I'm pretty sure their founders were against colonizing so i doubt either of them would - i think they prefer smaller classes because it makes them more "elite"

By: ^^
by: ^Jan 4, 2017 1:52:31 PM

So curious as to whether these rumours are made up or not because I totally agree, I could never see them leaving their alum behind, they'd be so pissed

#4  by: Yup   

NSP founders are completely against it, that's why they don't get along with active sisters, & Xi delt has too strong an organization to what to go international

By: Yup
by: WonderingJan 4, 2017 4:39:28 PM

What do you mean they're too strong of an organization? They haven't really been doing well with recruitment in recent years, I'm pretty sure the reason these rumours have started is due to the fact that if these two orgs don't go international they're going to fail entirely, it's been happening ever since aphi came on campus

By: Wondering
by: ^Jan 4, 2017 4:45:49 PM

Aphi has definitely impacted rush which is awesome for you guys :) I don't think locals will ever fail but we'll always have smaller classes which isn't a big deal

by: Yea butJan 4, 2017 5:54:58 PM

If you consider the size of your classes before aphi was here vs after it's a pretty dramatic difference. It just goes to show there's a shift in the Greek system and the more internationals on campus the more it'll likely continue to shift in that direction. But it would definitely be a shame to see nu sig or Xi delt go and it's really too bad there are these half-ass new locals tainting the image of locals. That is probably part of the issue as well

By: Yea but

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.