facebook

the lack of support is astonishing

by: Greek System Fails

I find it so sad the lack of support organizations have for each other. The constant bashing towards looks and other things that DONT matter is disgusting to me. I can't be the only one who feels this way and I think it puts a damper on the Ottawa Greek system as a whole. More love and less hate people!!

Posted By: Greek System Fails
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Elle Woods   

Some of us believe (rightfully) that the Greek system is prestigious and should consist of houses built upon high values, tradition and honour. When 12 local houses pop up simply because they got rejected from existing sororities, that's not respectable and they never should've been allowed to affiliate with the school. Sorry but that's NOT a sorority and letting just anyone walk around in Greek letters takes away any prestige that we used to have. For people in real houses, it's annoying because we're grouped in with you.

By: Elle Woods
by: ^Apr 3, 2016 11:49:26 AM

If you want this "prestige" you're going to need more international sororities at UOttawa. You can't team up with Carleton. They created a strong greek community with solid choices for "real" houses. Now its time for UOttawa to step up to the plate. Sorry but your greek community is lacking with just two international sororities. You cry because you don't like locals but throw the ones making attempts to become international under the bus. If a true greek community is what you really want then allow for some growth. Or continue to look weak in comparison to Carleton . Up to you really.

By: ^
by: Greek System Fails Apr 3, 2016 12:09:53 PM

Maybe if there were more international sororities at uOttawa, then this point would be valid. But the fact is neither, APhi or Tri Delta were organizations that I wanted to be apart of. In fact, I got a bid from APhi but went with a "lower tier" local sorority instead because I didn't feel like APhi didn't match up with my values. Not everyone who are in locals are rejects. The fact is, uOttawa lacks in the international department and until it steps up, all organizations deserve equal love and respect. We are all part of the same community and its time we start acting like it.

By: Greek System Fails
by: ^Apr 3, 2016 1:09:40 PM

That's actually not true, not one girl APhi gave a bid to went with another sorority, local or not. And I think all international sororities are all about the expansion of international sororities on campus. Tridelt was iffy about APhi at first because being the only international gave them a unique selling point but APhi coming onto campus only made tridelt that much stronger. I don't see either organization hating on theta and to my knowledge that's the only sorority who's trying to go international here. Side note, since you're comparing Carleton and UOttawa they have the same # of NPCs so idk where that's coming from. DPhiE is brand new so you can't really compare.

by: ^^Apr 3, 2016 1:26:41 PM

Your facts are way off. Both Xi Delts and Nu Sigs are rumored to be making efforts at going international and there's open bashing towards both.
Both are long standing locals and both deserve the opportunity. There is a clear lack of support towards both these local chapters by the internationals. That's what's sad and making the community look weak. That and the racial slurs. Those remarks don't make anyone look prestigious.

By: ^^
by: NoApr 3, 2016 1:53:16 PM

I like how you say her facts are off proceeded by "it is rumoured." Lol. Those are just that, rumours. Xi delt and nu sig are proud of being locals and they're not going to give that up just because they're struggling at the moment. Might it help their rush? Sure, but they have longstanding tradition and a huge alum base, they were founded as local because they wanted to be. I highly doubt either group will ever go intl. Total slap in the face to their alum and founding mothers.

By: No
#2  by: ^   

Rumors are rumors, so who knows. Did I just hear a hint of respect for Xi Delts and Nu Sigs after all the hate so liberally thrown all over greekrank?
And again, the bigger issue is the racial slurs and body shaming. You're not in Alabama, you're in Canada's capital. Diverse sororities should be proud. Frats are diverse. So why the comments?
I'm with a few statements above. Every sorority deserves love and respect. All efforts should be valued.

by: LmaoApr 3, 2016 3:13:46 PM

Aren't you a pot of gold. Not only did you base your "fact" on rumours but you based it off rumours you heard on GR. "Look here it is" she writes. Ha ha ha ha. Precious.

By: Lmao
by: ^Apr 3, 2016 4:12:20 PM

Well I didn't do that but I am in a sorority you accused of being unsupportive of internationals, so to clarify, xi delt and nu sig going intl is a rumour.

by: ^Apr 3, 2016 5:37:52 PM

I can tell your in a bottom tier sorority. And why would you say an intl started the rumour .....

#3  by: Hi   

Lol, the fact that both Xi Dellts and Nu Sigs have made attempts to go international is actually true. Xi Delts started making efforts first and then sort of just fell off the face of the earth, and then Nu Sigs started making efforts although they have been pretty minimal lately. Both asked the two internationals for permission to go international. Realistically, it's kind of a race, because only one can go international at a time, and then I believe the other would have to wait a year before they can. But neither seem to be trying very hard to make it happen, at the moment anyway. Both international organization are supportive and eager to have another international on campus because they know it will make the Greek Community stronger, plus then we can have PanHell.

By: Hi
by: HeyApr 10, 2016 11:36:33 AM

Wow I really believed it to be a rumour, how pissed are their alum? Not saying it's a bad decision but all those alum will be apart of a sorority that no longer exists

By: Hey
#4  by: GG   

First of all Nu Sigs are trying to go international, dunno about Xi Delt- but sororities are mean't to be prestigious in a way, & sometimes organizations need a reality check to be better, thats just life

By: GG
by: IntlApr 10, 2016 4:33:47 PM

Hmm the only sorority I could see colonizing with either would be like DPhiE or maybe AXO or a smaller sorority like that. Most of the big ones are more selective.

By: Intl
by: uh noApr 10, 2016 9:07:54 PM

DPhiE is at Carleton, they won't be going to uOttawa. AXO aren't in Canada anymore. ANd honestly, Carleton has a better Greek community than we do here, why would any NPC come here when they have better numbers?

By: uh no
by: ^Apr 10, 2016 9:27:29 PM

Well Phi Sig offered to colonize with Kappa (APhi before they were APhi) so DPhiE is a possibility. But yea who knows it's hard to picture, they have such long tradition here it's hard to picture them wearing different letters.

by: LolApr 11, 2016 10:25:51 AM

You're talking out of your ass, that never happened.

By: Lol
by: ^Apr 11, 2016 2:35:40 PM

Yes it did, they're two seperate schools, you CAN have two chapters in the same town, this happens all the time in the states. It's not an insult to Phi Sig, personally I think it would've been awesome to grow a sorority's presence by having two chapters. You obviously don't entirely understand how sororities colonize, what happens is the intls on campus vote to expand panhel (tridelt voted no when Aphi started so they had to appeal it) then you receive offers/visits from sororities who are open to expansion. Aphi had initial offers for presentations from DPhiE, Phi Sig and Alpha Phi. In order to get anyone else's attention that sorority has to currently be open to expansion in Canada.

by: ^Apr 11, 2016 9:50:37 PM

This is true and it wasn't a hateful or negative thing

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.