facebook

times are changing

by: Curious

Did Texas greek life (specifically fraternities) use to be more exclusive 20+ years ago than it is today? I've heard stories from my Dad that only the very wealthy were ever even given a chance even in the lesser fraternities and rush was much more secretive. He also said pledge classes were much smaller. Besides for maybe the big 4, it just seems everything is much more publicly open today and almost anyone is invited to rush. Is this a good or bad thing for greek life?

Posted By: Curious
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Kind of True   

Back in the day, pretty much only feeder school kids rushed and those with greek parents. The technology age has definitely played a factor in reaching more people. It is definitely changing, who knows if its for the better or worse. This definitely plays a factor for some of the hate between top and middle tier people.

By: Kind of True
by: That'sFeb 6, 2014 1:08:07 AM

freaking stupid. It's really surprising how many stupid people go to UT.

It's obviously better that more people are involved, and there's a little more demographic diversity adding to the experience. I wouldn't mind the greek student body percentage increasing more and more for it'll have more power against the University when it comes to things like Round-Up.

By: That's
by: ^Feb 6, 2014 6:54:11 AM

Ten years ago Bama was 15% Greek like us, and they more than doubled that. I'd love it if we could do that.

By: ^
by: @^Feb 6, 2014 12:45:40 PM

greek life was much better 20+ years ago. it will be completely different when our kids are in college and most of our kids probably won't even rush because of it

By: @^
#2  by: Greek life   

has grown pretty dramatically in the past two or three decades both locally and nationally. That probably accounts for some of the difference, but I have a feeling that unless your dad is about 70 the difference is being inflated some.

By: Greek life
#3  by: Back   

In the day those were the only people that could even afford to go to college. Eg if you were in any fraternity and from San Antonio, 90% you were from Alamo heights. Now if you're from Alamo heights, 90% chance you're in Fiji or SAE only

By: Back
by: @aboveFeb 6, 2014 2:39:16 PM

I think it more so had to do with the fact that only those that went to those high schools had any idea what greek life was before arriving to school. Unless you came from a wealthy family, a lot of people 30-40 years ago were the first generation in their families to go to college. This is just a repeat of old money vs new money argument once again. It's stupid

By: @above

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.