facebook

living in the sorority house

by: qt

As I was going through the recruitment guide I saw that it stated that many of the sorority houses require their members to live in the house at some point while being a member. I wanted to know if this is true for all the houses or which ones. To be clear, I'm not against living in one of the houses at some point especially if I was really close with the girl I roomed with. I just want to know if I should expect this to be true. Thanks!

Posted By: qt
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Kool   

Yes, at some point girls will live in the house at least for one year of their four years of college. Usually for most sorority girls it's dorm life freshman year, and an apartment life for one or two of the last three years. Maybe sorority house life for sophomore year, then they do apartment life for junior/senior year. Or maybe apartment life for sophomore year, then house life for junior year, then back to apartment life for senior year (when they get a good paying job). Some kind of variation. It all depends when and if they get jobs to be able to pay rent.

A lot of times, the girls living in an apartment, even with like two or three other girls, their parents either pay for half or all the rent. If this is the case (which is for most students in general), most girls don't stay in apartments for more than two years, since most parents are against paying their kid's rent for THREE years. So, most girls will eventually, by default (if they don't have good paying jobs) will move into the sorority house at some point.

By: Kool
by: Huh?Jul 7, 2017 4:28:53 PM

Umm what's all this mention about working while in college? Who in Greek life works while at UT?

By: Huh?
by: ^Jul 7, 2017 4:44:38 PM

IUm, there are girls in sororities that do have jobs. I know some who do. It's rare, but they do simple things like working at fast food joints, retail, or the more common waitressing. I know some seniors that do work study too.

But yes, most don't work, and their parents pay for a lot of their stuff, including rent for the apartments they live in.

By: ^
by: ?Jul 9, 2017 3:36:43 PM

So you have to live at least a year? Like you couldn't live a semester and then study abroad of some sort, right?

By: ?
#2  by: y   

Why don't you want to live in the house?

By: y
#3  by: What's he big deal   

It's only a year and it's fun. If you are on exec you could live in house more years. If you study in Europe a semester then someone else will have to move into your spot. Sometimes that works mid year when another girl doesn't like her living situation. You may end up paying for house living if you committed and then go study abroad

By: What's he big deal
by: ?Jul 16, 2017 10:05:03 PM

I wasn't complaining I just wanted to know if I should expect it and to make sure not to plan on studying abroad the year I did if I needed to stay the full year. It was a planning question, not a deal breaker! (: thanks for your help because this is the best answer!

By: ?
#4  by: House living   

Yes, expect it to be true.

By: House living

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.