facebook

question about listing legacies

by: legacy

I'm going through recruitment this fall and am a legacy to more than one chapter on campus. If there is a chapter I really don't want to be in (completely different than the chapter at my relative's school) do I have to list that I'm a legacy there when I sign up?

Posted By: legacy
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Well   

No, you don't have to. But it's not like you have to be in that house if you don't want to. It's a mutual selection process. And who knows? You might end up actually liking that sorority. It never hurts to list your legacy chapter. For example: I know a few tridelt legacies that ended up as gphis and kappas, and a few gphi and kappa legacies that ended up tridelts. So, you never know where is going to feel like home.

By: Well
by: PSAug 14, 2014 4:46:26 PM

Being a legacy doesn't in any way guaranteed a bid. I know my sorority definitely pays special attention to legacies first round, but after that girls have to stand on their own.

By: PS
by: AlsoAug 15, 2014 1:49:50 AM

Well… is right on. You never HAVE to list your legacy chapter(s). However, I personally would find it really odd if a legacy did not have a rec letter for her legacy chapter, and then if you don't register as a legacy (even though a rec saying you were a legacy was sent), that seems a bit weird; to me, anyway. This is not a school where chapters will know what other orgs (besides their own) you are a legacy to unless you tell them, so informing groups of your legacy status should not hurt you.
The thing that concerns me most is that you seem to have already written off one of your legacy chapters. I'd say that's kind of disrespectful to the chapter here, as well as to your relative (even if she understands chapters are different). You might click with people in this chapter, and it is ALWAYS a good idea to keep your options open by acknowledging (and being grateful for) your legacy status and trying to make good connections with ALL chapters.
Good luck to you

By: Also
#2  by: Active   

You should really consider why you don't want to be in this particular chapter. You might find that whatever preconceived notion you may have isn't true after you rush and/or you may get cut by all the other houses and only be left with this one.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment by rushing a particular chapter or avoiding a certain one, keep an open mind. You should consider yourself lucky to have two legacy chapters but like the person above mentioned, at least with my house this only means you get a pass for the first round (MAYBE second round too) but after that, if you don't connect with the girls you talk to, you are just as likely to get cut like everyone else.

By: Active
#3  by: Legacy too   

It's a really bad idea to go into recruitment thinking you do/don't want to join a certain house or that you're too good for a certain house. You may KNOW for sure that you want to join ABC because you've heard it's really great, but then you meet the girls and realize that you don't click with them. Not everyone can join ABC--they might not like you either. Besides, you could really end up liking your legacy house. These girls are your relative's sisters. Once you (hopefully) join a sorority you'll understand what that means; for now, show them the respect that they will show you when you enter their home. They're just as likely to cut you as you are to cut them, so don't assume they'll automatically take you.

By: Legacy too

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.