facebook

diversity

by: East Coast

I am coming to US from an East Coast prep school. I am used to being in a diverse environment and am scared to death about some of the comments on here about the lack of minorities at this school. I plan to go through rush. Can you tell me which sororities have black and/or Hispanic members?

Posted By: East Coast
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: East Coast   

Sorry. I meant to write "I am coming to UW..."

By: East Coast
#2  by: East Coast   

I don't understand the question. Is there a question? Where I'm from private schools work hard to provide a diverse environment. "Prep school" does not = "white."

#3  by: funny   

You keep posting the same article. You probably have a dog-eared copy of it curled up in your wallet, too, as absolute proof that the Wisconsin Greek system is extremely liberal and open-minded. Except for one thing: it's not.

By: funny
by: aaandJun 18, 2014 3:59:47 AM

and you keep posting veiled attempts to prompt race conversations to make our greek system look bad, whose in the wrong here

By: aaand
by: funnyJun 18, 2014 8:44:57 AM

So bringing up race is what makes the UW greek system look bad, but not the reality that it is lily white? Wow.

By: funny
by: yeaJun 18, 2014 1:31:39 PM

Bingo. That's the problem, isn't it? UW pretends to offer a world-class education that will teach its graduates to function in the real world -- as long as that world is white.

By: yea
#4  by: Really?   

Just as I thought.

By: Really?
#5  by: Touchy   

I very much see both sides to this. It's not like all these white Midwesterners are the most inviting to minorities. But I also haven't met any girls who are minorities go through rush and not get into any house. Maybe there are some but I haven't met any. Houses should probably focus on being more welcoming to minorities so they feel comfortable to rush. Greek life just isn't big at this school, so if you're a girl who happens to be a minority, why take the risk to put yourself out there when you don't need to. I probably wouldn't but I'm not that brave.

By: Touchy
#6  by: East Coast   

I really appreciate all of the thoughtful comments on this website and your willingness to share your experiences about the Greek system. I will be on campus in another week and will spend a lot of time talking with students before I make up my mind. As editor of my h.s. newspaper I have found that people love to talk about themselves and their experiences. All I have to do is ask the right questions. However, I also have contacted one of the other schools from which I received a very generous scholarship and have found that that offer still stands. I have until July 18 to decide whether to change my mind about where to go. I think what is so upsetting to me is the total and complete denial from so many people on this website about the discriminatory practices in the Greek community. Minorities are clearly discouraged from going through rush because there are so few who are actually in the Greek system. While you say I would be welcome, statistics prove otherwise. I was warned about how conservative Wisconsin is and some of the people who have spoken out here confirm that. Do you REALLY think that all-Black or all-Hispanic sororities are not the by-product of discrimination? If there never was a time minorities weren't welcome there never would have been a need for a counter-organization. Anyway, thanks again and I can't reiterate enough how much I appreciate the time so many of you have put into your comments.

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.