facebook

transferring to umich!!!

by: help!!

hey yall,
i am transferring to michigan in the fall and am definitely going to rush as a sophomore since i didn't have things work out this year for me at alabama all too well. I am from the midwest. I really need help with housing, where do sophomores live? is all rent around 1000 a month? is rush up north super different than the south, because it was hardcore down here. Anything you can let me know that will be helpful to me transferring is so appreciated!!

Posted By: help!!
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: transfer   

Hey Man,

Never posted on here before but someone directed me to this and figured I'd help out. I transferred in last fall and rushed. For me coming into school, the prospect of starting over and not knowing anyone was most worrying. Once I had narrowed down houses I liked (4-6), I went after those and luckily got a bid to a place I feel I fit very well in. I just important to realize that, especially as a sophomore, you want to find somewhere that matches you. People tend not to go to too much Greek life stuff their junior/senior year as people turn 21/go abroad so finding where you fit is most important. Regarding housing, check U-M off campus housing (do a quick google search), the Ann Arbor facebook page for rentals and maybe craigslist.

Once fall rolls around, you'll have more perspective on the rush process -- basically it's open houses and events here and there. Rush around to see what's good and try to get in touch with someone you know on campus to get some more color on everything if possible.

By: transfer
#2  by: sister   

Providing the sorority perspective just in case you're a girl (don't hate me if I didn't read carefully enough):

You should be totally fine to rush here as a sophomore. You might hear that's it's harder to do it, but, while it is true that houses are generally looking for freshmen to pay 4 years of dues, I've known sophomores who have gotten bids to every house from AGD to Skrappa. It's definitely not as competitive here as it is at Bama - you won't need any rec letters or even to know girls in any particular house and, so long as you maximize your options all the way through the process, you will not get dropped. We also have a special circumstance this fall in that Kappa Delta will be colonizing here. If you're interested in building something new from the ground up (with the support of a national organization that I personally have friends and family in) and/or it just so happens that none of our other Panhel orgs sing to you, I would seriously consider them.

As for housing, I would strongly suggest looking into dorms like Stockwell and North Quad. It's not necessarily the coolest thing in the world to live in a dorm past freshman year, but if you're coming in not knowing many people, you at least won't be isolated in an apartment all year.

By: sister

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.