facebook

freshmen women, read me!

by: Tryna Help

If you rushed a house, I would drop. Try to meet and build a solid foundation of friends your first year before you rush. All my friends who rushed that didn't rush later got sucked into Greek life and know little people outside. Some people stay in it just because their only friends are Greek. Real sad. Diversify your friend group before joining. People will tell you otherwise, but if you want to maintain some independence outside the brainwashing, drink the kool aid later down the line.

Posted By: Tryna Help
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: ehh   

I like my house and if you like yours stay but the OP has some good points. Right now you are spending most of your free time with your chapter. If you become dissatisfied with your house and want to drop it will be much harder if you've spent your entire year only with girls in your house. I've seen girls have a really hard time dropping and feeling like they have to start over because its weird maintaining the same friendships with girls you don't see as much when they are always together. If you feel at all dissatisfied with your house drop and build a foundation before initiation then consider coming back to it.

By: ehh
by: OPOct 9, 2015 1:47:53 AM

Yeah I would have to agree that dropping becomes harder down the line. I'm glad I joined mine later and I don't have regrets, but I do see some of the younger girls getting sucked in and not having that outside support later. It's some food for thought that no one in the sorority will tell you because they want your money.

By: OP
#2  by: No   

It sucks joining later, you're older than nearly ur whole class and u will never be as close to them

By: No
by: tOct 9, 2015 10:58:41 PM

This is somewhat true. You have to make more of an effort to fit in and you're probably going to stick with sophomores if you're a sophomore and juniors if you're a jr.

By: t
by: RoflOct 16, 2015 4:12:09 AM

U just want freshmen money

By: Rofl
#3  by: Mommy22Boys   

I think it depends on one's personality and is what you make of it. So far, I've met and made a lot of new friends both in and out of Greek life. Sure, chapter commitments take a lot of time, but it's not that hard to make connections from class, clubs, the gym, around campus etc... people are generally really nice at UCLA and it's not hard to have friends outside of your chapter if you are willing to put forth the effort.

By: Mommy22Boys
by: heyoOct 16, 2015 2:41:20 PM

oh hey it's you! glad that rush worked out for you. how do you like your sorority?

By: heyo
by: Mommy22BoysOct 19, 2015 2:27:07 AM

Thank you! Sorority life is great. UCLA is great. Things are super busy, but I'm enjoying every minute of it! Admittedly, I was a bit intimidated by the strong personalities here but irl everyone I've met so far has been super nice and awesome. It's going to be a wild quarter!

by: @Mommy22BoysOct 19, 2015 2:42:57 PM

That's great to hear, I'm glad you decided to go through with it despite people saying not to. :) I actually have a similar situation to you and could really use your advice outside of greekrank if you don't mind

By: @Mommy22Boys
by: @Mommy22BoysOct 19, 2015 2:51:48 PM

I just kinda wanted to know which houses are accepting of women with particular circumstances and also if being a mom makes it hard to be in a sorority, it just seems like it takes up so much time

by: Mommy22BoysOct 20, 2015 9:49:58 AM

Sorry, my reply got cut off... Anyway, even little things like getting together for ice cream or letting my boys play while I study makes a big difference mentally and makes me feel like I'm still an important part of their lives. My friend says it's not that different from single parents who work long hours or do a lot of traveling for work. You just have to do your best and find the time for your children.

I hope this answers your questions! Good luck with everything!!

by: @Mommy22BoysOct 22, 2015 7:28:37 PM

That was super helpful, thanks! I have to ask, do you ever feel weird that your sisters don't know about your kids? I totally get that it's not something that comes up in conversations but it seems so difficult

#4  by: To   

To all the girls who didn't find a house this year

By: To

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.