facebook

greekl life here?

by: Pnm

I'm from Alabama but going to UCLA in the fall and was wondering what Greek life is like here compared to the south? I come from a traditional old south family and I'm a legacy to Kappa, DG, and a sorority that y'all don't have here. So basically what should I know about kappa and DG here, how different is Greek life here compared to schools like Alabama, auburn, ole miss, UGA etc... and how well will I probably fit in at UCLA in general? I've heard everyone in California is extremely liberal and forceful with their views whereas I'm extremely conservative but not the type of person to make talk about it all the time.

Posted By: Pnm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: IMO   

Greek life here is one of the bigger ones on the West Coast but compared to the South and the stories I hear? I don't think anything here comes remotely close lmao

By: IMO
by: OPMay 7, 2016 11:36:43 PM

Haha what stories have you heard? Greek life is a big deal in the south, but I have 2 sisters in sororities - one at Alabama and one at UGA - and the crazy stories they've told me are either about frats or college in general. And even with recruitment being a huge deal at Alabama and Georgia, 90-95% of girls get a bid each year because they have so many chapters.

By: OP
by: ^May 8, 2016 11:17:37 AM

One difference in recruitment here is that in the south your family and connects are major considerations while at UCLA bids are given out primarily based on family (in terms of how rich you are) and looks. I noticed a lot of "top" houses in the south have some really unfortunate looking girls in the them but around here you can be a triple legacy and won't get in (to a top house) if you aren't at least a 7.

By: ^
by: IMOMay 8, 2016 9:30:07 PM

The craziness comes from the frats and their hazing, the incredibly expensive dues and houses my friend that goes to Texas says dues are close to $3000), and basically just how important it is to those schools. Here, it's a small part of the student body and the geeds are always salty and tryna roast us. But idk what you guys are saying about legacy, maybe it's different for sororities but legacy is very important for the frats. Lot's of guys who stereotypically wouldn't be in a house for instance can get in.

By: IMO
#2  by: Legacy   

Legacies mean nothing here. They actually work against you. Greek life is a big disappointment in comparison to the south.!

By: Legacy

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.