facebook

The truth about frats/Greek life

by: Senior gdi

If you’re a freshman thinking about rushing, read this before you do so. Freshman year, Greek life is very hyped up because everyone is living in dorms and, for the most part, doesn’t know many people at the school. Because the dorms on their own provide a limited social life, everyone wants to get involved with the off-campus party scene, and the frats are really the only option for new freshmen to do this. This is also somewhat true sophomore year when living in dorms is still fairly common, but once you get into your junior year when most people are living off campus at houses/apartments, Greek life loses most of its relevancy. People stop going to as many mixers and parties and instead spend most of their free time either studying (school becomes a lot more important and time-consuming, not to mention the internship/job search) and throwing smaller parties/kickbacks with their friends. A lot of sorority girls drop out, and while this is much less common for frat guys there are a lot of them who greatly decrease their involvement in the fraternity (same can be said for many of the sorority girls who stay in). People don’t care about what frat you’re in, or if you’re in one at all. If they like you, they’ll hang out with you. I’m not in Greek life and never was, but I have a lot of friends in the various frats and sororities as well as a lot who aren’t who I might not have met or socialized with had I joined a frat and spent all my time hanging out with those guys. I’m not saying Greek life isn’t worthwhile, and I know a lot of people who have greatly benefited from it, but it is not as necessary as people make it out to be. Just make sure when you rush, you look for a group of people you see yourself being close friends with beyond just the party scene. If you’re just in it for the parties, you’ll probably end up as one of those kids who drops or becomes much less involved down the line. And if you don’t find a good fit, that’s ok. You’ll find your people eventually, sure it may take more work/time but you might be all the better for it.

Posted By: Senior gdi
Post Reply Report

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.