facebook

questions

by: Junior

Hi there,

I'm considering MST, and while I can find out lots of information about academics, I am curious about what student life is like there, specifically Greek life. No one in my family has ever been Greek and the only real information I have comes from my best friend, who is a year ahead, and went to a huge SEC school. I'm guessing it's a different experience.

I know it's small, with only three or four sororities. Does that make Recruitment difficult? If you have good grades, activities, aren't horribly unfortunate looking, can hold a conversation, and not real obsessed with being in a certain sorority, what are the chances of getting a bid? Does being out of state hurt those chances? Do I need Letters of Recommendation?

Once you're in a sorority, I'm assuming they do all the things that any sorority does, like fundraising, parties with fraternities, formals, and that sort of thing. Are there things like tailgates and do they sit together for games, or is the football team not a huge draw?

Do the sororities focus on academics?

Does being a part of Greek Life help on campus, hurt, or really not make any difference?

Thanks to anyone who eventually sees this and answers!

Posted By: Junior
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Helpful Hootie   

Hello! I am a member of one of the sororities on campus and a Panhellenic council member. There are 3 Panhellenic sororities and one service sorority (which you can rush at any time-but beware they are actually just a drinking sorority who want to function outside the social guidelines). Since there is a 3:1 ratio of guys to girls, and the students here tend to be extra nerdy, the amount of girls who rush is not very high. With that said, this makes formal recruitment very personal. If you have an alum who will write you a letter I’d say go for it, but if you don’t, don’t worry. With the qualities you listed, you should be just fine. It doesn’t matter where you live, they’re just looking for girls who fit in with the personality of the sisterhood and who will be an asset (not drag them down). They are focused more on making sure it is where you will feel most comfortable, not weeding “bad” people out.
Our school is very forcused on academics and career opportunities, and so is greek life. Really the only events on campus are greek, and if they aren’t officially Greek sponsored, you can guarantee all the leaders in the group are still greek. But we also have a saying on campus that nothing happens other than studying and drinking. Since greek Life is huge and there are so few girls, we function very differently than other campuses. There are lots of socials with frats. We also have greek rules for fraternity parties - ANY Greek is invited and has to have the Greek sticker on their ID, and they can also sign in 2 guests, you have to bring your own drink (and there are a lot of people who go to just hang out and stay sober), and past 11pm you cannot bring in a drink if you’re not 21, but usually older girls/guys will offer to carry it in for you.
Sports aren’t really a big thing, so we have only just started making tailgating a thing this year. But we have plenty of other opportunities. We have a thing called hooligans where we tailgate the home soccer games, and IM sports are a big way that people come together to show support.
The 3 Panhellenic sororities are VERY academic focussed, and I can definitely confirm that greek life runs the campus so it definitely helps.

By: Helpful Hootie

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.