facebook

2 new sororities at f & m

by: NPC

The NPC would like to welcome both Alpha Xi Delta and Phi Mu good being invited to colonize at F & M. AXiD will be colonizing this Fall 2014 and Phi Mu will be colonizing Fall 2016. Congratulations to both.

Posted By: NPC
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: IFC   

Welcome to F & M ladies.

By: IFC
by: Pleased to meet you.Jan 23, 2015 5:29:26 AM

I am delighted Phi Mu will be on campus. Our philanthropy is Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. I am happy for AXiD as well.

By: Pleased to meet you.
#2  by: Yes   

This is awesome. I am excited for both grouping coming to F & M. Our sorority life on campus is growing fast. Now, let's see if we can get some new fraternities on campus. Hopefully soon.

By: Yes
by: Greek GirlApr 6, 2014 3:24:45 PM

Yes, we definitely need fraternities at F & M. I have heard rumors that both LXA and ZBT have shown interest in re-colonizing their former chapters for quite sometime now. Anyone have news on this?

By: Greek Girl
#3  by: Sad   

Kind of disappointed in their choices. Anyone know what happened?

By: Sad
by: WoodrowChilsonApr 7, 2014 7:09:36 PM

Would've been nice to have Tri-Sig back. Sucks that they got kicked off for being a respectable sorority. And yes and I know all the rumors and truths from alumni

By: WoodrowChilson
by: in the knowApr 23, 2014 5:29:22 PM

I was on the committee that made the decision to add these two new sororities. Out of the four presenting sororities, these two had the strongest colonization plans and the best support systems for F&M women. They received the highest marks on feedback from all parties who came to each presentation, and overall made a better impact than the other two that presented. We were charged with choosing organizations that were right for this campus right now, and these were the best options.

By: in the know
#4  by: Student   

Lets get Umbgerger fired first

By: Student
#5  by: AXiD   

I'm currently an active member of Alpha Xi Delta at another school and am so excited to see it expanding to other schools!

By: AXiD
by: TruthNov 6, 2014 3:17:41 PM

The only reason why your sorority has been brought to F&M is because our greek life director's wife was a member of your sorority. When I found out about that fact I wasn't shocked. It sounds like something the "loved" Umberger would do.

The respectable thing to do would to bring back Tri Sig. It would've made the alumni very happy.

By: Truth
#6  by: Tri Sig   

Sucks everywhere outside of tiny schools in Pennsylvania.

By: Tri Sig
#7  by: IFC   

We are hoping to bring another fratrernity to F & M soon. Since Sigma Pi is on a decline and wil probably be gone by the end of Spring 2015 Semester, the IFC E-Board had made a request for a new fraternity to fll the spot. With the growth of the current fraternites over the last 4 years, the question is do we just invite one or do we do a stacked expanison. So far their are two fraternities that have shown interest in colonizing at F & M.

by: AlumniDec 5, 2014 2:41:26 PM

bring back an old fraternity. Do the right thing

By: Alumni
by: IFCDec 5, 2014 6:34:04 PM

Actually, the two fraternities that are interested in F & M had previous chapters on campus a few years back. Their Alumni Groups are pushing to get their former chapters re-colonized. The question remains, do we add a new fraternity in 2015 and another in 2017-18? It will all depend on the growth of the Rush. So far the fraternities have been doing well with rush and hope to continue that trend.

by: AlumniDec 7, 2014 8:48:43 PM

Which two fraternities that had previous chapters at F&M applied for colonization?

by: AlumniDec 11, 2014 10:12:53 PM

Rush would do even better if the IFC and Stu don't continue to bar freshman who do not meet the GPA requirement. My national fraternity said the practice should not be allowed and it doesn't meet national requirements and the agreements it made with the school. They were actually shocked to hear that the administration prevented students from rushing.

The school shouldn't hang a GPA requirement over a students head. Especially for their first semester at school where adjustment is sometimes needed. Students sometimes have a poor first semester for a number of reasons and it shouldn't prevent them from rushing with their friends

Sport coaches (football, soccer, baseball) also prevent their athletes from pledging.

It seems as though the school does more to prevent rush than to promote it

by: IFCDec 12, 2014 1:18:17 PM

This is nothing new. First off, I attended the Association of Fraternity/Sorority Advisors (AFA) last week in Nashville, TN. and I will tell you that almost all the private schools with Greek Life have that same requirements for Freshman and even a few state schools as well. Going forward, the push is to have about 85% of the schools (both private and public) adopt similar requirements for freshmen requesting to go Greek. Secondly, with all the crap that is going on with Greeks this semester (rape crimes, pledge deaths, conduct violations, etc.) Greek leaders will be cracking down on every Greek Org. that violates University polices that could result in long range suspension and/ or expulsion from the University and they will not care how long a Greek org. has been on campus or what type of prominant Alumni graduated from the school. The attitude is that every Greek Org. that violates policies, can be replaced with another Greek Org. BTW, The NIC supports the requirements as well and if your national Org disagrees, then maybe they need to relook at their total chapters and say to themselves, is all our chapters above or below standards of both the National and University. This is not going away anything soon. What IFC and Stu are doing is protecting our Greek Life at F & M to make is safe for all students to join. I personally would not want a guy(s) in my fraternity that 1) can't hold a 2.5 GPA, 2) not in good standing with the school 3) is nothing more that a problem.

by: AlumniDec 16, 2014 3:30:22 PM

IFC,

The policy that any greek organization can be replaced is sickening and disgraceful. It is a poor and half-ass way to cover up a problem. All you are admitting is that the fraternities, many of which have been standing a little over a hundred of years, don't mean anything to you. A false allegation or wrong doing by one individual member should not lead to the dismantling of a chapter that has so many strong ties to the school.

I too wouldn't want anyone apart of my fraternity that 1) not in good standing with the school 2) is nothing more than a problem. That is why we have rush and prevent those individuals from getting a bid.

The 2.5 gpa requirement is too strict. In the past the school was willing to hear pleas for waivers and they should continue to do so. All I am saying is that the school can be more lenient on students after their first semester. Especially when the spring is the only time some of them can rush because of sports in the fall. A student getting a 2.35/2.4 his first semester because he got sick around finals or messed up his first semester does not mean he is going to be a horrible student or person. The requirement is too strict and not a fair assessment on a student considering he only had one semester to prove his worth.

by: BobDec 16, 2014 4:13:18 PM

IFC you sound more like Stu than an actual student

By: Bob
#8  by: HAHAHA   

Stu you couldn't get a 2.5 at F&M even if you spent every night in the library

By: HAHAHA
#9  by: Tri Sig   

It seems that Greek Life has increased over the last 5-6 years. The NPC has grown to 5 sororities, with Phi Mu coming in 2016 to bring the total to 6. The IFC needs to add another 1 or 2 fraternties to their list. Do you know what fraternity(s) have applied to F&M? I know the direction is to bring back one of the older fraternities, which would make sense since they have alumni tied to the school and can assist with both mentoring and financial support of a new colony.

By: Tri Sig
by: IFCDec 31, 2014 2:36:49 PM

So far both ZBT and LXA have expressed interested in re-colonizing their former chapters. Both of their Alumni Clubs are very actively involved with events at F & M.

by: AlumniJan 1, 2015 5:26:51 PM

Good. Two older fraternities that have very strong Alumni connections.

by: IFCMar 7, 2015 11:40:00 AM

UPDATE: It looks like a new fraternity will be added to the IFC. ZBT has been approved by both the University and IFC to re-colonize their former chapter. As of right now, no timeline has been set yet, but the ZBT IHQ and their Alumni Association are working closely with the IFC and University officials to finalize a start date and an outline of progams for the new colony.

by: Interested.....Sep 21, 2015 9:53:29 PM

Does anyone know when ZBT is suppose to re-colonize?

By: Interested.....
by: IFCSep 22, 2015 2:27:31 PM

Spring 2016. ZBT will begin canvassing in Nov./Dec. for interested men to become founders and in the Spring semester they will go full ahead with the re-colonization process. If you are interested, I would suggest to contact their IHQ to get a timeline as to when their expansion team will be on campus.

#10  by: Truth   

Stu is that you running the IFC account?

By: Truth

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.