facebook

fire umberger

by: Disgruntled

Stuart Umberger is ruining Greek Life at F&M. He is disorganized, incompetent and occupies a position that doesn't need to exist. He is spineless and is just a tool of the new administration to fundamentally change/phase out Greek Life at F&M. Fire Umberger and bring somebody in who will support fraternities and sororities rather than undermine them at every turn.

Posted By: Disgruntled
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Fummer   

I completely agree and am very happy that some one else has responded to this mater. He is detrimental to the Greek Life at F&M. Not only is he rude, caddy, and unprofessional but he also is very uncooperative. It is almost like he wants the greek system to fall apart by rooting greek organizations against each other. It is beyond me how he still has a job and I really hope he doesn't come back next year. I say that even though I will be a graduate by then. The greek system at this school is really important to a lot of people at this school and with Umberger I doubt it lasts much longer. Perhaps thats what Potterfield wants though...

By: Fummer
#2  by: WHAT???   

I am an alumnus of F & M (class of 1989). Back in the late 80's the school's new Administration de-recognized that whole Greek system. This was the biggest mistake because Greek Alumni, who were the biggest donors to the school suddenly stop their donation (about 8-9 years. Because of the drop in donation, this caused the school the cut some sports and academic programs and less scholarships were given to incoming freshmen. Over the last 10 years, the Greek system has become very active and an important part of the school. I would hate to see this fall apart. I know the NPC is looking to add another sorority and I heard there are 2 fraternities very interested in re-colonizing their former chapters. Our Greek community is strong and growing. I hope the Greeks can band together and prove the new adminstrion wrong

By: WHAT???
#3  by: Student   

I defiantly believe the greek community has been strengthen over the past few years. It hasn't been because the administration goals to strengthen greek life at F&M. Rather, it is because the greek community as a whole feels threatened and by the administration. Greek leaders are scared to stick up for themselves. It is difficult for Greek leaders to voice their frustration because they don't want their concerns to negatively affect their Fraternity/Sorority or Greek Life in general. It is clear the Umberger has an agenda. He is extremely difficult to talk to. He ALWAYS misses meetings, even with the administration. He has an interim position. Instead of feeling out Greek Life at F&M he has turned it upside down, changed many traditions, and overhauled F&M Greek Life to his liking. Umberger should have never been hired. His resume was a joke. He didn't hold a job for very long anywhere and its obvious why, he is a horrible administrator (his resume was made accessible to Greek members).

UMBERGER RESIGNED LAST YEAR FROM LAFAYETTE AFTER THERE WAS A DEATH AT ONE OF THE FRATERNITIES ON CAMPUS. THE CAMPUS NEWSPAPER -->
"“To be honest a lot of changes were from Stuart [Umberger] and Dan [Ayala] was following through with them,” she said. “But I will say I felt like there was more presence from Dan. He came to the house every day before the events started to check in with us.”" Link--> NO SPACES (h t t p ://goo.gl/9RrLQ9)

1 of 2

By: Student
by: StudentMar 5, 2014 5:56:32 PM

WHILE UMBERGER WAS PRESIDENT OF HIS FRATERNITY AT COLLEGE A STUDENT DIED AT HIS FRATERNITY HOUSE. HE HAS TALKED ABOUT THIS WITH A FEW STUDENTS AND I WAS TOLD THAT THEY WERE SHOCKED BY HOW HE DESCRIBED WHAT HAPPENED. THE STUDENTS SAID THAT INSTEAD OF TAKING RESPONSIBILITY HE ACTED LIKE IT WAS IN NO WAY HIS FAULT AND WAS VERY UNSYMPATHETIC. A GIRL DIED IN FRONT OF HIM AND HE DEFERS ALL BLAME ON HER BEING A SMALL COLLEGE GIRL WHO COULDN'T HANDLE HER DRINKS. WHO SAYS SOMETHING LIKE THAT?

It is beyond me how he still has a job. Greek members are to afraid to voice out because he has the power to do as he pleases. He can make one call to a chapter's national headquarters and have that chapter under strict scrutiny from nationals. Greek life at F&M has turned into a constant state of fear. One small dumb slip and Umberger will make sure your chapter never sees the light of day again.

By: Student
#4  by: diplomat   

While I agree Stu should by no means have his job here, I have heard him talk about the death of a girl in his fraternity house and by no means was he being unsympathetic. He is terrible at his job, but its going way too far to portray him as a sociopath. You are making a serious accusation for something you are hearing secondhand. He said the girl literally chugged an entire fifth before coming to his house because his fraternity actually didn't serve people underage and she was a freshman. So it wasn't his fault, and he was not unsympathetic. Get your facts straight.

By: diplomat
#5  by: F&M   

The agenda that he is trying to push on his dumb F&M Fraternity and Sorority page is concerning and very telling

By: F&M
#6  by: Senior   

While I agree with everything stated above about Umberger's shortcomings I do not agree about how there should not be a Greek Life director. A Greek Life director is an important job if done properly. I do not think Umberger is doing anywhere close to a good job however. It does seem like he has this agenda that will phase out Greek Life at F&M as we know. It is extremely said to see as a senior that many traditions that I know have been apart of F&M for decades and even longer, will be gone because Umberger doesn't agree with them. As an interim Greek Life director i think Umberger is really dropping the ball on educating himself about F&M rich greek life. Greek Life is all F&M offers to a lot of students. Umberger has come to F&M with an agenda and its his way or the highway and that is not fair. Theres no reasoning with him. Mary Kate was a former student at F&M. She knew about greek life at F&M. F&M NEEDS a Greek Life Administrator and the BEST person to take over (HOPEFULLY) for Umberger is someone who went to F&M and was apart of the Greek Community.

By: Senior
#7  by: Concerned Senior   

I think it is extremely important that all of greek life get their alumni involved as much as possible. The changes made already have significantly altered greek life. At this rate I would be surprised if Greek Life didn't exist in a few years. As we learned from Delta, it doesn't take much for them to drop the hammer.

By: Concerned Senior
#8  by: alumni   

As an alumni with enough money to make very strong donations, I can assure you that as long as there remains an anti-greek agenda at F&M, lead by Stu, the college will never see a dime of my money. I prefer to give it directly to my fraternity. Many alums feel the same way and I agree with previous post that lack of alumni donations will hurt the college for a long time.

By: alumni
#9  by: The Truth   

As an alumni who lived through de-recognition I can tell you that these are dark days for Greeks at F&M. There is less then no support. There is only over regulation. The 'director of greek life' is an internet addict who does nothing but repost social media. He, despite 20 years of experience, offers no real insight or advice and serves only as a risk manager. Worse though is the underhanded administration which is now bereft of institutional knowledge. They will repeat the error of de-recognition but they will do it piecemeal and the men will be the first targets. Alumni contributions will crash and legacy students will go elsewhere. With over 5000 colleges in this country there are too many other good choices for students to choose from.

By: The Truth
#10  by: Fire Stu   

Stu needs to go. He will never be happy until Greek life is decimated at F&M then he will move on to the next college and do the same. It's his mission.

By: Fire Stu

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.