facebook

nationals?

by: PNM

Can anyone tell me how strong each chapter's nationals is? I'm not asking for rankings. Thanks!

Posted By: PNM
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: @PNM   

You'll find different opinions, but in general people tend to agree on the same few sororities as the strongest nationally. On our campus, those would be Chi O, Tri Delt, Pi Phi, and Kappa. These sororities have produced a number of successful women, raise a lot of money for their respective philanthropies, and have a lot of successful chapters in a variety of places. Other sororities tend to be strong in different regions. The traditionally strong Southern sororities that we have are ADPi, Zeta, KD, Phi Mu, and Alpha Chi (to a lesser extent- they're strong in the south but aren't considered a "powerhouse" like the others). As for the others, APhi is strong in the West, especially California, and Sigma is stronger at smaller schools (as a former education sorority, they started at smaller schools and that's where they've historically thrived) and is also strong in Missouri. Take all this with a grain of salt though, these are just my own impressions that I've formed from being in a sorority and coming from a family of sorority women. Everyone will have their own opinion.

By: @PNM
by: statistics pleaseJan 9, 2017 9:06:57 AM

You are incorrect. AXO is one of the largest national sororities and Zeta is larger than a lot of the ones you mentioned. So is APhi. Check your facts before you spout off about who's a "powerhouse". Number of active chapters:
Chi O - 180
Tri Delt - 141
Pi Phi - 139
Kappa - 140
ADPi - 155
Zeta - 169
KD - 165
Phi Mu - 136
AXO - 193
APhi - 170

By: statistics please
by: andJan 9, 2017 9:13:16 AM

Tri Sigma is the next to smallest national sorority. (The smallest is Theta Phi Alpha.)

By: and
by: WellJan 9, 2017 12:48:25 PM

The number of chapters means absolutely nothing. Some of these are much more spread out and some of them have their chapters clustered in one or two regions. It also totally depends on the size of the school. A chapter at Clemson is a lot more significant than a chapter at somewhere like Wofford who aren't producing that many alums each year. In addition, some sororities are much more popular in certain locations. For example, while there may be KD chapters out west, they are typically very weak compared to their southern counterparts. This can also be said for ZTA. Go out west and many of them haven't even heard of ZTA or KD.

By: Well
by: @WellJan 9, 2017 1:52:02 PM

I guess you can make statements like "number of chapters means absolutely nothing" and certain areas have "typically weak" chapters with absolutely nothing to back it up. Whatever fits your own narrative is gospel, right?

By: @Well
#2  by: Hey   

At UNC we have practically all the big sororities around the nation (minus DG, DZ, and Theta...I might be missing a few others). Chi Omega, Kappa, and Tridelt are probably the largest across the nation. After that probably ZTA, Pi Phi, KD, Alpha Phi, ADPi, and AXO.

KKG, Tridelt, XO, ZTA, Pi Phi, and Alpha Phi are probably the most spread out and tend to be strong up north, out west, and in places in the south. KD, ADPi, and AXO tend to be much stronger in the south, although you'll find these chapters scattered across the nation too.

The only sororities that are less dominant nationally are Phi Mu (they tend to only be strong in the south, but I've heard they're VERY popular at southern schools) and Tri Sigma. Tri Sigma is the only sorority that I'd consider even remotely small nationally, but they're still fairly big compared to some other sororities around the nation. If you've ever heard of Alpha Xi Delta, I'd compare them to each other in terms of size nationally. We don't really have any obscure sororities at UNC. You can join almost any of them and run into plenty of alumnae/active members from all over the country. Hope this helped!

By: Hey
by: hmmJan 5, 2017 8:54:00 PM

ZTA is not as strong nationally as Aphi or Pi Phi, ZTA is only really strong in the South where they are a powerhouse

By: hmm
by: YepJan 9, 2017 7:08:46 AM

This is accurate

By: Yep
by: nopeJan 9, 2017 9:14:19 AM

This is not accurate.

By: nope
#3  by: Guest   

SigEp is pretty strong. Cleaned up the mess here.

By: Guest
#4  by: So what   

National rankings don't matter. Sorority life is for four years in college to add to your campus experience and make life long friends. If you are one of those misguided girls who thinks that your national affiliation will make or break you after college in your career or social life you are going to be disappointed. Your sorority could be the best thing that ever happened to you but only if you join based on sisterhood and not some calculated stepping stone for connections. Your affiliation will not matter after you graduate to give you some kind of insider advantage. Love your sisters and get the most out of your four years, then graduate and move on.

By: So what
by: UmmJan 7, 2017 10:21:31 AM

Not necessarily true. My older sister got a great job in NYC because of KD connections. She didn't know this person directly either. The job was advertised on the Beta Chi FB page (Beta Chi is the UNC chapter).

By: Umm
by: @ummJan 7, 2017 1:17:54 PM

you basically just proved that kd is all over this website :)

By: @umm
by: ^^Jan 7, 2017 2:04:30 PM

And how did she do that?

By: ^^

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.