facebook

local vs national

by: Curious

I keep seeing posts saying don't go local, what are people's opinions on that?

Posted By: Curious
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Local   

Honestly everyone says don’t go local but the reasons they give are false. They say that locals haze more and I can tell you that many of the national sororities at bloomsburg have a much more intensive and grueling pledging process than the locals. Many of the locals have a well established alumni network and can help you make just as many connections as the national. Though national does have a broader reach. Locals are cheaper and have fewer rules. Whether that’s good or bad is up to you. In the end you have to figure out the best fit for you and your goals and wants the you want to get to get out of college/Greek life.

By: Local
#2  by: Go national   

In some cases local sororities cost in the same range as nationals. All sororities at bloom will cost you between $200-300. You may think you’re saving money in dues going local... but they will make you pay out of pocket HUNDREDS of dollars while you’re pledging. Nationals have way broader connections, with none of the brutal hazing. If you’re worried about cost, there are scholarships and living in the house will reduce your dues. Remeber. You’re paying for what you get.

By: Go national
#3  by: Not true   

I don't know what the first reply is talking about, Nationals only makes you do library hours (which is a school rule) and asks you to spend time with sisters while locals actually force you to do things if you want to be in (Chi Pi antiques you, Chi Sig dumps stuff over your head, make $100s in crafts just to throw them away, etc). Cost wise, for some reason this year some locals cost even more than some nationals?? Which is ridiculous, in my opinion. One of the main points of Greek life is to network and with locals you just can't do yay sadly.

By: Not true
by: huh?Jan 9, 2018 1:05:49 PM

Antiques you? What does that even mean?

By: huh?
#4  by: Honest   

Stop worrying about local vs national and just go where you feel most at home

By: Honest
#5  by: Bumbleburg   

There’s no point to a local unless you wanna stay in that dark hole after college. I don’t care how strong their alumni is, they will never help me get worldwide. Just honestly think more in terms of once you graduate... it will all be for nothing but 4 years. Go somewhere that will help your future because that’s what you’re actually in school for.

By: Bumbleburg
#6  by: No Comparison   

National organizations offer scholarships, leadership training, international connections, legacy opportunities for your daughters (when that day comes), greater networking recognition and respect. Locals have no oversight which is very risky with hazing.

By: No Comparison

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.