facebook

informal recruitment

by: Ugh

Has anyone had luck with the COB/informal recruitment process that happens right after formal recruitment?

Posted By: Ugh
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: cob   

I’ve heard that about 4 chapters do it every year. My friend dropped out of rush before sisterhood day and regretted it and ended up doing cob later

By: cob
by: To Bargaining New GDIJan 24, 2021 8:17:19 PM

You are in phase 3.
Sororities 7 & 8 historically offer COB.

1. Denial - Yes you were cut.
2. Anger - That srat cut me late.
3. Bargaining - COB, wait it is just for srats 7 & 8.
4. Depression - @2 weeks of - what did I do wrong.
5. Acceptance - Completing transfer apps for UT and your home state university.

Then for an ego boost, a few Saturday nights at the Greenville Ave. Club scene with your fellow GDIs.
Followed by spending Spring Break finding summer session housing at your upcoming transfer university.
You will be packed-up and ready to leave a week before Spring semester finals.
After your last final, straight to the car & gone....

By: To Bargaining New GDI
by: ^Feb 11, 2021 11:56:31 PM

Hateful legacy lady again. No one here talks down "sororities 7 & 8." In fact we all have friends in the sororities she puts dosn

By: ^
by: D MAGAZINE SEPTEMBER 1997Feb 14, 2021 2:21:51 PM

PUBLISHED IN D MAGAZINE SEPTEMBER 1997

OTHER THAN THE ACROPOLIS, IT’S HARD TO FIND SOMETHING more Greek than Southern Methodist University.

The Pig Run is about to begin. It’s Saturday afternoon and a crowd of young women-all dressed in jeans and white turtlenecks-has been corralled into a Student Center ballroom on the SMU campus.

If the girls like the houses, they wait to be invited back again and again; if they weren’t so impressed, they “cut” the house. At the same time, houses are “cutting” girls they don’t consider “real draws”-worthy pledges. Such is the weeding out process that leaves many girls limping back to the dorms devastated and wondering why they ever wanted to go through such a humiliating time consuming two semester rigged legacy dominated ordeal.

It’s extremely difficult to find out how many girls in each house have legacies-although all of the houses give priority to the girls who do. One of the questions on a Rush application asks if the girl has a legacy; if she does, she’ll get “points” for it later in the selection process. Ashley is not a Big Three legacy and her mother says it was nearly “the kiss of death.”

“I would never let a child do that again [go through SMU Rush without being a legacy],” she says. “It can get very mean when adults are involved in the process and end up hurting a child.”

Hurting them emotionally, socially, academically and her family financially.

By: D MAGAZINE SEPTEMBER 1997
#2  by: Good q   

I’d like to know the answer to this as well, how does COB work and who usually participates

By: Good q
by: how it worksJan 24, 2021 7:54:36 PM

any house that’s not at total can cob, so it changes every year...usually the house will contact you if interested or u can reach out to someone and ask if they’re doing cob

By: how it works
#3  by: yeah   

anyone know which houses could COB?

By: yeah
by: Phase 3. BargainingFeb 11, 2021 6:20:35 PM

You are in phase 3.
Sororities 7 & 8 historically offer COB.

3. Bargaining - COB, wait it is just for srats 7 & 8.

As in years & decades past:

Most of the newly GDIs were encouraged to proceed with COB to find a possible opening. Only sorority 7 & 8 were involved in COB this week. These were the sororities most were Not Interested In. Once realized of the GDI reality, it was Wednesday, far too late to transfer to another university or to ask your parents the short notice to make the dangerous wintery drive to Dallas.

It was pointed out that a vast majority of the top 6 sorority PCs were pre-determined. Only a few true openings were actually available to the non-connected. Fall Sophomore rush is very similar to COB. Only sorority 7 & 8 usually take pledges. Those Sophomores that go through recruitment a second time in the Spring are usually cut early and are given bids from sorority 7 & 8 again. Sorority 7 may/will probably cut you as a sophomore.

Pretty depressing. Tonight, my roommate and many of the newly pledged girls are out at sorority parties. The 10 -12 newly GDIs on our floor are studying or watching the Shopping Network.

We did nothing to deserve this social isolation. Just obeyed the recruitment rules and trusted the top 6 sororities with their verbal bid encouragement. We are stuck here as social outcasts by design of the University and Panhellenic.

By: Phase 3. Bargaining
by: Here’s what you doFeb 12, 2021 12:49:20 AM

Contact Panhellenic

By: Here’s what you do
by: SmuFeb 12, 2021 9:59:56 AM

Dg, axo, theta, gphi

By: Smu
by: HuhFeb 12, 2021 1:16:39 PM

Theta is doing cob? Did they not meet quota (what even was the quota this year, does anyone know??)

By: Huh
by: nopeFeb 12, 2021 1:28:56 PM

7 & 8 as always.
Read the posts from the past few years.
Same EVIL process each year.

Adding theta & dg was just another sorority attacking them.

By: nope
by: YeahFeb 20, 2021 12:29:13 AM

Yes Theta took COBs. Panhellenic didn’t officially say they were but I know of people that got bids. Panhellenic said the houses doing COB were DG, Alpha Chi, and Gamma Phi.

By: Yeah

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.