facebook

Black women in sororities

by: question

I’m a Freshman looking to join a sorority. I’ve been really excited about the prospect of joining, but I looked at the instagrams, and it seems like there are barely any WOC and no Black women. I’m a Black woman, and I want to rush, but I’m afraid I won’t have a place in one judging by those photos. Can anyone else speak to this?

Posted By: question
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Tay   

In the past, there have been some black women in the houses. You have to remember that SMU has a small number of blacks who attend. But you should rush and find your best friends! I see where you're coming from since I am also black women. I’m going to be a transfer student and also want to rush but I have no fear. Go through recruitment with an open mind and a positive attitude. You got this and good luck!

By: Tay
by: This is it. Dec 7, 2020 8:56:58 AM

I'm black and in Chi O. I only saw 2 other black women rushing the year I rushed.

By: This is it.
by: TRUE RealityDec 9, 2020 2:14:22 PM

2021 Spring PNMs.
Best, most accurate post of the year.

Each sorority's Recruitment Committee consists of it's most powerful alumni, a few Chapter officers and 1 or 2 active members. They review PNMs apps, recs and respond to mommies' calls & contribution$ to honor their "legacy daughter". This Recruitment Committee determines how many PNM Chapter legacies will be honored with a Spring bid, usually by November 1st. Often for the top 4 sororities, there are less than 10 openings remaining for non-legacies.

The first recruitment rounds are called "cattle calls". Most junior & seniors take Chapter fines instead of attending these. They do not want to make fake conversation with "non-legacy walking casualties".

Non-legacies have a "very legitimate beef" with panHELLenic for not disclosing their limited opportunity to join the top 4 sororities. The "legacy versus non-legacy" Recruitment results for the past few years should be disclosed to PNMs months in advance. Leading-on non-legacy PNMs about joining Greek Life in the top 4 sororities is "cruel and deceitful".

By: TRUE Reality
#2  by: Go for it   

I think that you should give it a shot, especially this year since recruitment is virtual and there’s less social pressures! Fewer women of color tend to do Panhellenic rush because Pan-Hellenic sororities (ex. AKA) and MCGs (ex. KDChi) also exist on campus and they aim to recruit more diverse women. However, I 100% encourage you to give Rush a shot because every house has great women who will see beyond superficial qualities like skin color. I hope you find a house you can call home!!

By: Go for it
#3  by: GreekGirl   

I'd definitely say rush! I believe there are only 3 black women in all of Panhellenic and we would love to see that number grow!

By: GreekGirl

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.