facebook

smu pnms beware

by: Salty MOM

2020 PNM Gift:

750+ Spring 2020 PNMs
360 openings in houses 1-6, 320 already filled by legacies
100 or less pledge houses 7 & 8
275+ SHOCKED GDIs mid-January

Being a GDI social outcast in such a Greek Social Life dominated exorbitantly expensive university is hard to validate.

Posted By: Salty MOM
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Salty MOM   

2018 Post, be prepared.....

Just got a call from my High School friend who is now an active in her top tier UT sorority. We are both attended highly esteemed private college preparatory schools and are from upper class Texas families. UT had their recruitment BEFORE classes began in the Fall. She knew the recruitment results and registered last Fall as a first semester freshman with confidence as a top tier sorority pledge. She was initiated last December and is laser focused on her major, sorority life as an active and pursuing her future husband at her sorority's numerous fraternity mixers.

Conversely, I paid 4 times as much on tuition to attend SMU. Began the lengthy recruitment last Fall that lingered into the Spring semester. Received great encouragement and was lead-on by two top tier sororities of my pending bid to their sorority. Just to be cut late and only offered prefs by sororities 7 and 8. Both were not a fit for me.

I now realize, best case scenario is to skip Fall rush and go through Spring recruitment again to try to land a spot in the sororities that interest me. Meaning I will be a Junior before I am an active in one of these sororities. While my High School friend would have been an active for 1 1/2 years.

Realistically, as a Sophomore I will be cut again by the top 6 sororities and will receive the same bids from 7 and 8. It will then be too late to transfer to another university without losing a semester of credits.

So I need to cut my losses and transfer to UT this summer. I will need to take 3 -6 hours of summer school to make up for non-transferable credit hours then go through UT recruitment in August. A brutal schedule of non-stop classes for the next 12 months just to catch up with my UT friend. Otherwise, stay at SMU as a GDI social outcast paying 4 times the tuition as my UT friend.

There are over 200 ladies in this predicament this semester at SMU. Yes, Panhellenic snobs, your recruitment was a historic FAILURE.

By: Salty MOM
by: Salty MOMDec 31, 2019 1:24:21 PM

She implied asking her parents to drive from their hometown, (anywhere USA in the winter). Many students are from the East Coast and Chicago area.

PNMs must be made aware of the Spring housing and tuition refund cutoff. It is usually just a few days after Spring Rush results are announced. Placing shocked freshmen PMNs in an impossible place to drop from the university during the Spring semester without incurring a 50% loss of their prepaid housing and tuition.

Spring 2018 recruitment was a FAILURE due to over 200+ ladies being cut or dropping out. The numerous cover up posts above are from the current Panhellenic Committee Members wanting to spin away from their most disappointing year.

SMU and Panhellenic must be truthful to next years recruitment class. There are @60 PC openings in each one of the 8 sororities. The top six sororities with their 360 pledges will enjoy a thriving social life. These six will give bids to their pre-determined group of mostly legacy pledges, big contributors, famous families and top athletes. The small remainder of openings will be fought over by a ratio of 20+ to 1.

Panhellenic will attempt to corral the remaining @250+ in COB recruitment into sororities 7 & 8 or they will drop out. As discussed earlier, actives in these two sororities admit their disappointment with their limited social options. GDIs will gather and discuss improvements for their future at SMU with more posts in the future.

by: Salty MOMDec 31, 2019 1:25:03 PM

Reality - another 2018 post.

Most of sorority PCs 1-6 are predetermined by a number of factors. Many of these have been documented on this post. 360 PMNs will cakewalk through recruitment to their family's legacy Chapter. Leaving 400 to fight for the very few true openings in sororities 1-6.

After that the University 50% cut in tuition and housing refund trap kicks in. Then Panhellenic puts on the COB Pressure to join its least socially active sororities 7 & 8. Those sororities have the same sisterhood demands, requirements and financial obligations. They just socialize with bottom tier fraternities and the Greenville Ave. Club scene. 200 classy, top tier 18 year old freshmen ladies caught in a trap to be pressured into sororities they are Not Interested In.

These 200 Newly GDIs need to speak up and express their dissatisfaction with SMU's Greek Recruitment. More needs to be done for this large tuition and housing paying group.

by: SorryJan 2, 2020 12:27:04 PM

Sorry your daughter wasn't smart enough to get into UT

By: Sorry
by: LolJan 6, 2020 10:15:07 AM

Anyone else think "sororities 7 and 8" which were "not a fit" (translation: in too popular/wealthy/pretty/thin) are somewhere laughing that they dodged this bullet? Could you imagine having this person in your organization?

By: Lol
#2  by: Accurate Lead Post   

- Senior Top Tier sorority

I will accept our sorority fine for not attending this months open house again this year. I cannot face 750 PNMs that do not have a chance to join our sorority. Our Recruitment Committee notified us that over 50 legacies have been selected to receive bids, leaving @5 non-legacy openings. Leading-on this many PNMs is not in my DNA.

When facing the many disappointed PNMs, now GDIs after recruitment, we are told to say "Sorray, our sorority had too many legacies to honor this year". Again, I cannot continue this evil charade. Sorority life is great, the elimination process is unnecessarily cruel.

By: Accurate Lead Post
by: whackedJan 1, 2020 8:05:11 PM

You are not fooling anyone with your incessant comments to yourself. You are just whacked in the head, woman.

By: whacked
by: ^ Identify yourselfJan 1, 2020 9:29:19 PM

There will be as in years past, 250+ newly shocked GDIs in mid-January.
If you are Panhellenic, state your office & name.
If you don't, you are a liar & a coward.

These newly 250+ GDIs will be facing their first life crisis in mid-January.
Lets make certain they will all go to your office for emotional, academic & financial assistance.

By: ^ Identify yourself
#3  by: ^   

Honey, SMU panhellenic is not on here. And I suspect there may be a restraining order on you to not go near SMU for the rest of your life. Maybe other places as well. So this is all you've got for your poor pathetic crusade. Everyone who is not sorry for you and your family is just laughing at you.

By: ^
#4  by: Truth   

Just because you are a GDI doesn’t mean you aren’t cool. I know so many awesome girls not in a sorority who even have many friends that are in sororities. Also just because some girls don’t get a house, doesn’t mean other girls don’t have a good experience. I agree there are way too many girls rushing for the number of houses at SMU, but smu can’t get a new sorority on campus unless all houses make quota. Every sorority has really awesome girls, and if freshman are opened minded and take a house they get a bid from, they will most likely have a good experience

By: Truth
#5  by: Real Life   

To the crazy lady who is STILL posting / complaining on here?!? This is RIDICULOUS!!! If a PNM does not get the house she wants, or any house at all, then it is up to her to make the best of it. Life is often hard and unpredictable. Are we (you!) going to spend the rest of your life complaining and bitter? Perhaps you need some perspective. You live in AMERICA! You (or your daughter) were able to go to college! ...Do you have any idea how many young females in the world would give anything just to be able to learn to read, pursue a career, vote?!?
YOU need to GET OVER yourself! You are incredibly entitled, short-sighted and ungrateful!

By: Real Life
#6  by: !!!   

Wait, this psycho woman was posting before recruitment about the newly shocked GDIs and then after it, she pretended to be one, calling herself the same term? Do you think the SMU Panhel office has a restraining order on her?

By: !!!
by: ^ Dumb WitchFeb 1, 2020 2:40:14 PM

Ole Salty clearly labeled these as "2018 Reposts".
She was on the mark with every post.

Anyway, with your reading proficiency, you will not finish at SMU.
Your local community college will accept you for summer classes.

By: ^ Dumb Witch
#7  by: !!!   

Forgot to add, I bet they sure know her name and are familiar with her. If she has been doing this for 2 years, I hope her daughter moved on.

By: !!!

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.