facebook

percentage of pnm’s

by: Wondering

What percentage of girls who rush don’t get bids ? How do they hear ?

Posted By: Wondering
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: PNMs   

2018 Post, be prepared.....

Just got a call from my High School friend who is now an active in her top tier UT sorority. We are both attended highly esteemed private college preparatory schools and are from upper class Texas families. UT had their recruitment BEFORE classes began in the Fall. She knew the recruitment results and registered last Fall as a first semester freshman with confidence as a top tier sorority pledge. She was initiated last December and is laser focused on her major, sorority life as an active and pursuing her future husband at her sorority's numerous fraternity mixers.

Conversely, I paid 4 times as much on tuition to attend SMU. Began the lengthy recruitment last Fall that lingered into the Spring semester. Received great encouragement and was lead-on by two top tier sororities of my pending bid to their sorority. Just to be cut late and only offered prefs by sororities 7 and 8. Both were not a fit for me.

I now realize, best case scenario is to skip Fall rush and go through Spring recruitment again to try to land a spot in the sororities that interest me. Meaning I will be a Junior before I am an active in one of these sororities. While my High School friend would have been an active for 1 1/2 years.

Realistically, as a Sophomore I will be cut again by the top 6 sororities and will receive the same bids from 7 and 8. It will then be too late to transfer to another university without losing a semester of credits.

So I need to cut my loses and transfer to UT this summer. I will need to take 3 -6 hours of summer school to make up for non-transferable credit hours then go through UT recruitment in August. A brutal schedule of non-stop classes for the next 12 months just to catch up with my UT friend. Otherwise, stay at SMU as a GDI social outcast paying 4 times the tuition as my UT friend.

There are over 200 ladies in this predicament this semester at SMU. Yes, Panhellenic snobs, your recruitment was a historic FAILURE.

By: PNMs
by: SMU 2022 Recruitment 😫Nov 24, 2021 3:25:42 PM

Sororities:

Top 3: you need to be a legacy PNM.
Next 2: you need to know a ton of the members.
The rest: you need to have a heartbeat.

900 Spring PNMs.
7 sororities with 60 PNM openings.
420 total sorority PNM openings.
Many / half of PNMs will be cut.

If you are not a top 3 legacy, focus on the next 2.
Then the next 2 if you want to remain at SMU in the Greek system.

200-300 cut PNMs transfer after their freshmen year.
Being a GDI geek in an Greek social life dominated absorbently expensive university is impossible to validate.

By: SMU 2022 Recruitment 😫
by: whoa 😮Nov 24, 2021 7:00:16 PM

Heard that SMU rush for the top 3 srats is a predetermined legacy based welcome reception for its PNM legacies. Over 90% of their PCs are legacies. This data should be fully disclosed by Panhellenic to Spring 2022 PNMs. If not, we are entering into a pyramid ponzi scheme. 🧐

By: whoa 😮
by: Spring PNM 🤨Nov 25, 2021 7:50:32 PM

Will Panhellenic give us a percentage breakdown of the legacies that each sorority had in their past PCs. We must know these stats now so we can rush those sororities that will be the best potential match for us.

By: Spring PNM 🤨
by: So Very True 🤔Dec 31, 2021 1:13:01 PM

Newly ShOcKeD GDIs upcoming reality: 😧

1. Denial - Yes you were cut.
2. Anger - That srat cut me late.
3. Bargaining - COB, wait it is just for srats 7 & 8.
4. Depression - @2 weeks of - what did I do wrong.
5. Acceptance - Completing transfer apps for UT and your home state university.

Then for an ego boost, a few Saturday nights at the Greenville Ave. Club scene with your fellow GDIs.

Followed by spending Spring Break finding summer session housing at your upcoming transfer university.

You will be packed-up and ready to leave a week before Spring semester finals.

After your last final, straight to the car & gone....

By: So Very True 🤔
by: PNMs Be Prepared 😬Jan 1, 2022 11:18:48 AM

Just beware. 😩

You are entering a long standing predetermined rigged sorority recruitment. There are more legacy PNMs than the top 3 have openings, more like 70-75 legacy PNMs for the top 3 this semester. Each sorority has a PC of about 60. The university and panhellenic should forewarn and prepare this large group of students of the harch reality of SMU recruitment. 🤨

The cattle call charade you will participate in this month will anger and leave you with resentment toward the Greek system and the university. Each year there are about 250-300 newly shocked GDIs for the numerous reasons previously disclosed. 😮

The university and panhellenic has set a Spring semester timeline so a 100% refund of tuition and housing fee deadline occurs well BEFORE recruitment results are announced. Then a short 5 day period to drop courses and move out before the 50% refund is set. The 50% refund deadline is a Friday afternoon, not allowing the weekend for your parents to drive the dangerous wintery roads to move you out. All by design of the university and panhellenic. 😖

As a graduating senior, I cannot depart this university without trying to do my part to end this ongoing EVIL rigged elimination process. The university must add other social opportunities and events for non-greek students. The university gave me a great if not superior education. However, I am appalled each February to see so many beautiful 18 year old girls in a state of shock and depression. Which should be one the happiest and exciting times of their lives. 😩

By: PNMs Be Prepared 😬
by: 2018 GDI Voices 👻Jan 8, 2022 11:26:25 AM

Spring 2018 recruitment was a FAILURE due to over 200+ ladies being cut or dropping out. The numerous cover up posts above are from the current Panhellenic Committee Members wanting to spin away from their most disappointing year.

SMU and Panhellenic must be truthful to next years recruitment class. There are @60 PC openings in each one of the 8 sororities. The top six sororities with their 360 pledges will enjoy a thriving social life. These six will give bids to their pre-determined group of mostly legacy pledges. The small remainder of openings will be fought over by a ratio of 30 to 1.

The remaining @250 in recruitment will be corralled into sororities 7 & 8 or will drop out. As discussed earlier, actives in these two sororities admit their disappointment with their limited social options. GDIs will gather and discuss improvements for their future at SMU with more posts in the future.

By: 2018 GDI Voices 👻
by: Newly sHoCkEd GDI 😵Jan 14, 2022 8:19:29 PM

After 2 day, I am a newly sHoCkEd GDI 2 night. 😵

These warning posts were/are really 4real. 😳

By: Newly sHoCkEd GDI 😵
#2  by: and   

based on her posts, she clearly thinks the only girls who deserve to be in sororities are the ones who are from "upper class" families and have connections. What an elitist.

By: and
by: PNMs UNITE ! 😱Dec 18, 2021 12:50:59 PM

Demand the "Spring 2020 Legacy Disclosure Report".

PNMs must be aware of the legacy dominance in each PC for the past 3 years. If panHELLenic refuses, UNITE and drop from Spring Recruitment NOW.

PNMs have the most POWER NOW.
As a LARGE tuition paying group.
UNITE or be split apart by panHELLenic in the Spring.

By: PNMs UNITE ! 😱
by: Here we go 😱Dec 18, 2021 10:36:23 PM

For the top 3 sororities they usually have 70-80 legacy going through recruitment each Spring. They give bids to 55 legacies and 5 to other non-legacy top recruits. The remaining legacies are taken/stolen by the other top 5 sororities. It gives the other sororities the recognition they retained another top sorority's legacy.

SMU recruitment is for mainly its legacies for the top 3 sororities. Non-legacies should focus on one of top 4-6 sororities and be prepared to get cut late. If you are heavily Greek oriented be prepared to pledge 7 - 8 or transfer to a larger university with more sororities that have a larger percentage of openings for non-legacies.

By: Here we go 😱
by: 2020 Repost 🤨Dec 23, 2021 1:48:11 PM

2021 Spring PNMs.
Best, most accurate post of the year.

Each sorority's Recruitment Committee consists of it's most powerful alumni, a few Chapter officers and 1 or 2 active members. They review PNMs apps, recs and respond to mommies' calls & contribution$ to honor their "legacy daughter". This Recruitment Committee determines how many PNM Chapter legacies will be honored with a Spring bid, usually by November 1st. Often for the top 4 sororities, there are less than 10 openings remaining for non-legacies.

The first recruitment rounds are called "cattle calls". Most junior & seniors take Chapter fines instead of attending these. They do not want to make fake conversation with "non-legacy walking casualties".

Non-legacies have a "very legitimate beef" with panHELLenic for not disclosing their limited opportunity to join the top 4 sororities. The past few years legacy versus non-legacy Recruitment results should be disclosed to them months in advance. Leading-on non-legacy PNMs about joining Greek Life in the top 4 sororities is "cruel and deceitful".

By: 2020 Repost 🤨
by: Upcoming GDI Reality 😯Jan 5, 2022 4:08:29 PM

Not funny at all. 😦

panHELLenic should forewarn Spring PNMs about the very low probability of getting a bid from the top 3 sororoties as a non-legacy. Also about the real probability of not getting a bid from the mid 3 sororities unless the PNM is a legacy or aleady knows a ton of members. 😱

Spring GDI shock is the most as severe at SMU. A complete " social metamorphis " from the Fall semester. Severe Greek sorority cliques develope resulting in GDI isolation on most evenings and weekends. The newly shocked GDI is ready to transfer away as soon as she finishes her last Spring semester final. 😞

By: Upcoming GDI Reality 😯
by: pony upJan 12, 2022 1:57:39 PM

Obviously written by a mom but ok

I can confirm that legacies don’t carry the weight that they are saying ^^. It kindof doesn’t matter anymore about that BC everyone is a legacy.

By: pony up
by: pony upJan 12, 2022 2:03:32 PM

why is anyone even getting info on greekrank ridiculous

by: ^ panHELLenic 👿Jan 12, 2022 2:35:38 PM

WE the Spring PNMs are learning the truth this week. 😡
These GR Recruitment warnings are proven accurrate.

They will be 250-300 Newly Shocked GDIs by the weekend. 🤬

By: ^ panHELLenic 👿
#3  by: lil lake   

tegridy farms got bids to every sorority and all i got was g phi

By: lil lake
by: Lil durk Oct 20, 2019 7:39:40 PM

I heard tegridy is a straight dime thoo

By: Lil durk
by: nopeJan 15, 2020 3:44:09 PM

No pnm gets a bid to more than one sorority. One. That's all. You're lucky you got a bid at all. Lots of girls don't.

By: nope
by: 2020 GDI Repost 😒Dec 19, 2021 11:12:46 AM

Spring 2020 Newly Shocked GDI Editorial:

As a newly shocked GDI, SMU has really changed this Spring semester. All of the sorority PCs have become harsh cliques. They eat together in the cafeteria, sit together in class, study together and go to pee together.

My roommate is in a PC, so most nights I am alone in my dorm room. We used to do things together, now she does not have the time. Between Chapter & PC meetings, mixers, parties and other PC activities, they are too busy to hang with GDIs.

We (GDIs) are a group of @300 who stay in dorms & watch TV streaming, the Bachelor & Shopping Network. Pretty depressing knowing our parents paid almost $50 grand for this semester. Most of us (GDIs) are now mostly concentrated on which university we will transfer to this Summer or Fall.

The university & Panhellenic have not committed Newly Shocked GDIs any time or a budget for social activities during this semester. There are a few basketball games to attend and Program Council may have movies or an event or two.

WE ARE THE FORGOTTEN.

We paid almost $50 grand for this semester and feel like the university is asking & waiting for us to leave. Clearly the university for the Spring semester relies on Greek Life almost exclusively for student's social life. GDIs time in the evening is spent deciding on which university to transfer next semester. We are concerned about "stranger danger" in such a big city, so most of us do not leave the campus at night.

We are all stunned the university risks losing almost 300 freshmen girls each calendar year to GDI shock. Looking back, Panhellenic is to blame for not being "more forthcoming" about the limited true openings for the top 6 legacy-saturated sororities to 750 PNMs. The university is to blame for scheduling recruitment to entrap 300 girls for 2 exorbitantly expensive semesters. Then both dropping us with limited social events or activities for the captured Spring semester. 🤔

By: 2020 GDI Repost 😒
by: 'ole Salty Repost 😭Jan 4, 2022 10:04:29 AM

As the GDI drives off campus in mid-May, she & her family spent $100 grand for her freshmen year earning 30 credit hours. Only 18-21 credit hours will be transferable to her transfer university.

The GDI will need to immediately begin summer session for 6 credit hours at her transfer university lasting through early August. Then if at UT, she will go straight into sorority recruitment & begin her pledgeship in late August. Fall classes begin & she will be initiated late November in her sophomore year.

Then Spring classes & another summer session. Continuing straight into her Junior year. Finally after 3 years of non-stop classes, the summer after her Junior year she will be caught up. However, her academic advisor strongly recommends a summer internship due to her lack of work experience. This means another summer away from her family. Finally by graduation, she can spend a few weeks with her family after being away for 4 long years.

Sadly, @ 50% transferring GDIs burn-out by their Junior year and begin real life. SMU panHELLenic has no empathy or concern for GDIs.

By: 'ole Salty Repost 😭
#4  by: Wondering    

Thanks for the information however, I am genuinely interested in knowing what percentage of PNM’s do not receive a bid. 175 girls is what percent of the total PNM’s?

Obviously not everyone can join the top tier . That is the case at all schools .
If the 175 girls joined 7+8, couldn’t 7+8 be improved ? Or is it that 7+8 don’t have a good social schedule? To most PNM’s, that is an important consideration when joining a sorority; beyond sisterhood and philanthropy. It isn’t fair at such a Greek driven social school like SMU to say it isn’t. So PNM’s can’t be faulted IF that is the case.

Did most of the 175 drop based on their options or did they end up with no bids?

Not trying to be contentious . It’s really because I’m curious .

By: Wondering
by: lolJan 7, 2020 11:33:41 PM

The only reason those 175 girls don’t join 7+ 8 is bc too many PNMs care more about status than sisterhood

By: lol
by: Mustang Mom 🥺Jan 15, 2022 11:06:47 AM

The 2022 sorority rush at SMU has lived up to all the bad press I’ve encountered about the process. SMU historically has had issues with non-legacy girls being passed over. 😕

SMU panHELLenic continues avoid disclosing their limited opportunity to join the top sororities. I agree with a prior post thst prior year recruitment results that include legacy versus non-legacy be disclosed to them months in advance. 🤨

panHELLenic's FAILURE to disclose and to allow “dirty” rush is completely misleading these young women in thinking joining SMU sororities is an obtainable goal. I agree it is "cruel and deceitful.” What a needless disappointment for so many non-legacy girls. It’s been a horrible experience for my daughter and many others. 😣

By: Mustang Mom 🥺
#5  by: To future GDIs   

Reality - another 2018 post.

Most of sorority PCs 1-6 are predetermined by a number of factors. Many of these have been documented on this post. 360 PMNs will cakewalk through recruitment to their family's legacy Chapter. Leaving 240 to fight for the very few true openings in sororities 1-6.

After that the University 50% cut in tuition and housing refund trap kicks in. Then Panhellenic puts on the COB Pressure to join its least socially active sororities 7 & 8. Those sororities have the same sisterhood demands, requirements and financial obligations. They just socialize with bottom tier fraternities and the Greenville Ave. Club scene. 200 classy, top tier 18 year old freshmen ladies caught in a trap to be pressured into sororities they are Not Interested In.

These 200 Newly GDIs need to speak up and express their dissatisfaction with SMU's Greek Recruitment. More needs to be done for this large tuition and housing paying group.

By: To future GDIs
by: shut upOct 21, 2019 5:39:02 PM

GDI
top tier freshman ladies
Not Interested In
financially bankrupt
bottom tier
trapped
corralled

Your posts all read the same. The girls in sororities "7 and 8" as you so call them have some of the best sisterhoods on campus, and for you to constantly and heinously insult them as you do and encourage PNMs to not even give them a chance JUST because you don't consider them "top tier" is disgusting. You are nothing more than a lying troll and I sincerely hope whatever connection you have to SMU ends soon so you can get off this page and go harass other sororities. Whether you are a PNM or an actual "top" sorority girl (you've claimed to be both-- by the way your posts are written it's obvious), you don't deserve any sisterhood based on your attitude. You'll find a way to be unhappy wherever you go.

By: shut up
by: Admitted RepostsOct 21, 2019 6:54:28 PM

Read them again.

These are admitted REPOSTS from 2018.

I found these posts more alarming now than when they were posted one year ago. Hope we hear back from those several hundred ladies that transferred out of SMU due to the predetermined bids for sororities 1-6.

By: Admitted Reposts
by: Admitted RepostOct 23, 2019 11:22:03 AM

An old English proverb traced back to Geoffrey Chaucer's 'Troilus and Criseyde' (1385):

"Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones"

To the Panhellenic writer of the lead post, I have spoken to many Sophomores and Juniors, both Greek and non-Greek. They have confirmed the many alarming statements made in earlier posts about SMU's Greek Rush.

We will be requesting full disclosure from you regarding the actual number of legacies, non-legacies and sophomores of each sorority pledge class for the past 3 years. That way, non-legacies will actually know their chances of getting a bid from that sorority.

A 40% drop rate from your recruitment is alarming...

By: Admitted Repost
by: GDI SHOCKOct 29, 2019 3:47:34 PM

BEST GDI Shocked Re-Posts:
PMNS be prepared....

“ SMU and Panhellenic must be truthful to next years recruitment class. There are @60 PC openings in each one of the 8 sororities. The top six sororities with their 360 pledges will enjoy a thriving social life. These six will give bids to their pre-determined group of mostly legacy pledges, big contributors, famous families and top athletes. The small remainder of openings will be fought over by a ratio of 20 to 1.

Panhellenic will attempt to corral the remaining @250 in COB recruitment into sororities 7 & 8 or they will drop out. As discussed earlier, actives in these two sororities admit their disappointment with their limited social options. GDIs will gather and discuss improvements for their future at SMU with more posts in the future. ”

“ Realistically, as a Sophomore I will be cut again by the top 6 sororities and will receive the same bids from 7 and 8. It will then be too late to transfer to another university without losing a semester of credits.

So I need to cut my losses and transfer to UT this summer. I will need to take 6 -9 hours of 2 summer school sessions to make up for non-transferable credit hours then go through UT recruitment in August. A brutal schedule of non-stop classes for the next 12 months just to catch up with my UT friend. Otherwise, stay at SMU as a GDI social outcast paying 4 times the tuition as my UT friend. ”

“ Most of the newly GDIs were encouraged to proceed with COB to find a possible opening. Only sorority 7 & 8 were involved in COB this week. These were the sororities most were Not Interested In. Once realized of the GDI reality, it was Wednesday, far too late to transfer to another university or to ask your parents the short notice to make the dangerous wintery drive to Dallas.

It was pointed out that a vast majority of the top 6 sorority PCs were pre-determined. Only a few true openings were actually available to the non-connected. Fall Sophomore rush is very similar to COB. Only sorority 7 & 8 usually take pledges. Those Sophomores that go through recruitment a second time in the Spring are usually cut early and are given bids from sorority 7 & 8 again. Sorority 7 may cut you as a sophomore. “

“ Mid-January 2020 there will be over 225 shocked GDIs.
They paid almost $100 grand for their freshman year.
SMU is now the most expensive university in Texas.
30 credit hours earned, 21 hours are transferable...

Being a GDI social outcast in such a Greek Social Life dominated exorbitantly expensive university is hard to validate. Most GDIs transfer and sadly over half of them eventually drop OUT of college.

A successful recruitment? “

By: GDI SHOCK
by: pony upJan 12, 2022 2:02:12 PM

Where are you getting this info? Literally almost none of what you say is true but go on

#6  by: Wondering    

I wish more ladies could end up in sororities/ the ones they wanted .I think through all of the responses, I was able to figure out the statistics I was curious about, and was looking for . Good luck to all!

By: Wondering
by: What is this!?Oct 28, 2019 9:42:20 PM

This makes Greek life at SMU sound like it is from the 50s. What a bunch of pearl clutchers? And to say a friend is pursuing her future husband at UT fraternity functions- is laughable. Hope she finds him there, I guess. Open minds is what determines a successful recruitment. Stay gdi (and captive?!) in your dorm rooms- you deserve it for being so small minded. Best of luck to those who are open minded and all the houses- Greeks should support each other- that is the only way things change and then ALL houses rise. SMH

By: What is this!?
by: $100 grand captiveOct 28, 2019 10:35:42 PM

Mid-January 2020 there will be over 225 shocked GDIs.
They paid almost $100 grand for their freshman year.
SMU is now the most expensive university in Texas.
30 credit hours earned, 21 hours are transferable...

Being a GDI social outcast in such an exorbitantly expensive university is hard to validate. Most GDIs transfer and sadly over half of them eventually drop of college.

A successful recruitment?

By: $100 grand captive
by: WellOct 29, 2019 9:17:35 AM

If these pnms were sent to college strictly for their MRS degree- they probably wouldn’t have finished anyway-

By: Well
by: #7Oct 29, 2019 3:14:19 PM

I just wish we had like more houses or options, like bigger pc’s

By: #7
by: truthNov 30, 2019 1:03:47 AM

The poor girls who think they are so elite and only worthy of being in what they've been told is a top house are the ones causing the problems. We'd have more houses and bigger classes if tons of girls didn't drop out because they "only" got back a couple of houses where they've been told "they don't fit." Any girl would be lucky to have any sorority at SMU and it's ridiculous to keep up the pearl-clutching and cries of unfairness because other girls don't see you in quite the same light as you see yourself. And if you're worried about the cost of tuition because you thought it also bought you the sorority of your choice, you're too stupid to be in college. Period.

By: truth
by: ^Nov 30, 2019 4:14:27 PM

Best and truest comment on this pathetic thread.

By: ^
by: frosh pnm 😟Dec 21, 2021 8:36:25 PM

k, where, how do we get this legacy report.
do not want 2 spend time w/srats that dont take non-legacies.
y doesnt p release this report. 😟

By: frosh pnm 😟
#7  by: Well now    

I would like to see another house available on campus as well. It does seem amazingly competitive here with sororities and it seems another sorority would thrive over time.

By: Well now
#8  by: O   

Tbh reading this is honestly sad. If you really think your social life and college is over because you don’t get into Greek life you need to reconsider even going off to school and go to a local community college. 57% of students here aren’t in Greek life and they are doing just fine. There are so many more social spheres than are honestly more appealing than the rich white culture that dominates the Greek life here. Then again most people scared about this are rich out of state kids who think their life is over if they can’t get into a sorority or fraternity

By: O
#9  by: opinion from pnm   

I used to think so called “7 & 8” weren’t that bad, and was considering going through rush. However I was talking to a current girl at one of them, and it seems like there’s a problem both with having events because their budget is so much less because of how few members they have (they’re apparently fining girls heavily so they show up and make the sorority look “full”) and an internal problem with maintaining members because of issues with the aggressive girls in the chapter. The member told me some details and after that, I really think rushing them isn’t worth it because of a lack of community, and just overall issues. Apparently over 10 girls are considering dropping this sorority this semester alone. I just wanted to pass on advice to girls who might be debating whether to drop or stay if they get one of the “bad” sororities. You can make friends easier ways. If you have friends in a sorority, ask them what it’s really like before signing your life away.

By: opinion from pnm
by: Oh, pleaseNov 16, 2019 6:45:54 PM

This is as made up as it gets and is so obviously made up by the same mentally ill poster. Give it up and get a life.

By: Oh, please
#10  by: Hi   

Last year it was 6

By: Hi
by: Spring PNM Reality 😯Dec 26, 2021 11:41:08 AM

GDI Geek Status will be a reality for over half of this Spring's PNMs. 😔

By: Spring PNM Reality 😯

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.