facebook

legacy

by: freshman

I am going to be a freshman at SMU this fall (yes, I know rush is in the spring), and my mom was a member of one of the top tier sororities (PKT) at a small school in the northeast. Obviously I am not set on one sorority, although I've always thought the idea of being a second-gen was cool, and I want to find a sisterhood that is right for me, even if that means different letters from my mom. However, I am curious- does legacy help at all in getting into PKT? Is it just specifically SMU legacy, or would even a legacy from a school in another region help? My mom is pretty active in the alumnae group in Dallas. Just want to know if legacy helps bump you up in the rush process.

Please only informed, non-bitter answers. I've been reading a lot of the discussions on this website and I'll be able to tell if you're just a troll who is bitter that they didn't get a bid from the "top 6" (honestly don't care about rankings- just want an amazing sisterhood!)

Posted By: freshman
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Honest   

Being a legacy at any sorority guarantees that you make it to philanthropy day, besides that there’s nothing too special. Being a legacy will get you looked at a second time before they decide to cut you or not, but if you’re personality doesn’t fit in with the house legacy doesn’t matter. There’s too many legacies at SMU for it to be a big pull like it is on the east/west coast.

By: Honest
#2  by: Legacy Welcome Reception   

SMU Recruitment is ultimately a " Welcome Reception " for SMU Legacies. Chapters give priority to their individual Chapter Legacies first, which takes up over 70% of their pledge class. Then consideration is given to legacies from other universities.

SMU Panhellenic cannot pretend to offer 360 memberships in the top six sororities to over 700 powerful PNM ladies without dissent. Being from one of the 1-6 sororities, I heard first hand many verbal offerings of membership. Many of these were not possible due to quota limits.

I encourage these ladies to make suggestions on how we can better prepare them for the harsh disappointment of quota limits. Being a GDI in such a socially Greek Life controlled financially expensive university is hard to validate.

By: Legacy Welcome Reception
by: ^Jul 31, 2018 4:06:38 PM

Made up numbers, completely false information, and this person is not a sorority member here.

By: ^
by: ^Aug 14, 2018 11:07:21 PM

Would just like to say that I am a chapter legacy to a house and got cut from them!! Anything can happen!

By: ^
#3  by: Real truth   

Ultimately legacies get a foot in the door. This does not mean they get a bid. Of course nationals would love us to take all legacies , unfortunately ately this is not possible as there are many non legacies who deserve our full consideration. I can guarantee you that everyone is considered. Regarsing the very few girls who dropped out of recruitment, this was ultimately bc they did not receive a bid from a sororiety that they wanted. One poorly misinformed girl claimed she did not want that particular sorority bc they were in financial straights. I can assure you that NO srAt at SMU is under financial constraints. We have many alumni who contribute. The negative comments regarding our sororietues have all been duly noted and have been sent to the school this person is transferring to. We have decided that we as Greek organizations at SMU cannot in good conscience not inform their Panhellenic Office to the unusual, false and highly offensive claims she continues to make. Our next step is to call the authorities for slanderous and false claims she has made to our organizations. A full investigation will take place. So please understand that while all schools give legacies a fair shake it is ultimately up to the PNM’s to make an impression (positive) on said sororities. We are proud of every single sororiety at this school and no one will change that.

By: Real truth
#4  by: Legacy   

Here's where being a legacy helps: if your legacy house carries you to pref you will be tops on their list for a bid. You do have a choice though and don't have to rank your legacy house first if you like your other choice better. A legacy is a legacy and so the policies apply no matter where your mom went to school. Most every house here will automatically carry a legacy to the first invited round as a courtesy. After that, you may be released if the house thinks you are not a good fit. Best fit is everything, so since you are from Dallas, you will already have connections in all the houses and it is those personal connections that will 'bump you up', not legacy. Also, it is a good idea to not tell people you are a legacy and to not put your legacy status on your recruitment form for all the sororities to see, and to ask your rec writers to not put it on their forms either except to your legacy house. You don't want other houses assuming you are going with your legacy house and not being open-minded. Make sure your mom knows to get her legacy form in to the chapter (I know, duh, but needs to be said). BTW: The only school where 'PKT' is used is UT Austin, not here, and there is no such thing as 'top 6' except in that one troll's constant posts. Nobody here says that or thinks it. Be open-minded for your best rush. Good luck.

By: Legacy
#5  by: wow   

the troll has pretended to be an smu mom, an smu sorority reject, a member of "sororities 1-6," and just now, an incoming freshman. if your going to assume multiple personalities on a message board, at least change the style of your writing and stop using the same stupid phrases and words that completely give you away.

By: wow

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.