facebook

some girl on here is really mad!`

by: Yikes!

Every comment I've read has the same girl ranting about having to go to summer school because she transferred after not getting a sorority she wanted. What a weirdo!

Posted By: Yikes!
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Nope   

Only at SMU Freshmen recruitment takes up 2 semesters. Freshmen recruitment begins in the Fall semester and completes after the second week of classes in the second Spring semester.

Freshmen only learn of their finalist on pref day, after the first week of classes during the second Spring semester. After learning of their final bid options, freshmen were given 3 short days to drop all classes and move out of their dorm or face a 50% refund cut to their fees paid in advance to the university.

Very few freshmen drop from the university after their first semester because they are given false hopes, encouragement and often verbal bids from sororities 1-6. Then in late January, reality hits at pref day. Over 200 ladies shunned from the sororities that told them they would be a great fit for their sorority.

An unnecessarily mean, hostile process for SMU's best and brightest.

By: Nope
by: greek geekOct 22, 2018 10:18:59 PM

200 freshmen were not shunned, they chose to quit because they didn't like their choices. The sorority members are being nice all first semester. Would you prefer they are nice to some and rude to others. The individual member doesn't make the final decision, it is a vote by the chapter as a whole. One member can't speak for the entire group. The recruitment process is no different than hs seniors applying to different colleges or college seniors applying for jobs. You don't get what you want just because it is what you want... and your mom complaining doesn't help. It is called reality. The process could be more fair at SMU if it was all done in one semester, but that isn't the fault of chapter members or chapters. Freshmen get hurt because this is dragged out over two semesters. Take your complaint to the administration. Money talks. Only when parents demand changes will the administration listen. The chapters and their alums have tried for DECADES to change the timing of recruitment. Please put the blame where it is deserved.

By: greek geek
by: The Troll is RightNov 2, 2018 12:24:17 AM

I transferred my sophomore year after rushing and joining my sorority at my old school. I can solidly say that at the national level no sorority requires recommendations. Only three girls in my original pledge class were legacies and no one (at least to my knowledge) had reccomendation letters. They were never discussed at my old school and everyone thought it was laughable when one southern girl in my orientation group mentioned sending them to the houses.

I honestly thought they were a joke before I came to SMU. Everyone is 100% correct about how vital they are here and the prevalence of legacies, as a non-legacy with no recs I would have never gotten in to my sorority if I rushed here.

It is an outright lie to say that this is something mandated by nationals. It is mandated my a long history of this practice at SMU and by regional area nationals representatives who are determined to keep the tradition alive and continue the legacy and exclusivity of their sorority in the south.

By: The Troll is Right
#2  by: Mad BUT Very Valid   

Panhellenic cannot pretend to offer 360 membership openings to sororities 1-6 to over 600 powerful freshmen ladies without dissent. Being from one of the 1-6 sororities, I heard first hand many verbal offerings of membership. Many of these were not possible due to quota limits.

I encourage these ladies who now transferred away from SMU to make suggestions on how we can better prepare the next 2018 freshmen class for the disappointment of quota limits. Being a GDI in such a socially Greek Life controlled financially exorbitant university is hard to validate.

By: Mad BUT Very Valid
by: Still mentalJul 13, 2018 3:11:57 PM

Troll thinks she's not obvious pretending to be a sorority member.

By: Still mental
by: Seriously?Jul 29, 2018 2:08:31 PM

Yes, it’s hard when you or your college student is cut. However , it’s the same thing at other universities. People are cut all the time bc there are not enough spots and so many people rush. Aren’t you going to SMU for a good education as well? I would personally use this as a learning opportunity for my child. I would never pull them out of school mid semester. My son’s girlfriend is at Syracuse and many girls were cut well into semester two. Some chose to transfer this aummer(not many) some choose to go with a wonderful sororiety even if it was new and some chose to be a gdi. This is a part of life and how you handle the rough times will either make or break you as you transition into adult hood .stop acting like brats

By: Seriously?
#3  by: Quota Limits?   

Does she even understand that NPC requires SMU to use RFM? There are no "quota limits." This angry mom is clueless. She needs to get a life.

By: Quota Limits?
#4  by: K   

Even if they were all legacies it doesn’t matter. It’s the sororities prerogative. Ultimately the sorority decides who they want and who they don’t. Stop explaining yourselves ladies. You have done nothing wrong. You have every right to chose your pledges as long as your following national rules.

By: K
#5  by: K   

Dear troll,

Have you thought about sending your daughter to a small school where she can get a bid from whatever sorority her heart is set on? She can then transfer to a bigger University, one more to her liking = or your liking)
She will still have to be voted on to affiliate with her sorority at the new, larger school, but unless she is completely awful, the actives are usually very generous and welcoming towards their sisters who are transferring in from other schools.

2nd recommendation: If you choose this option, I recommend your daughter "own it", not hide it.
She can say something like, "Oh my gosh, I have ALWAYS wanted to be a __ __ __!
SMU was brutal, so I decided to go to "Podunk University" to join __ __ __ and I am SO glad I did!!!
---this actually could be a hilarious story! And true!

.......something to think about

By: K
#6  by: greek geek   

Quota is selected once preference parties are over and it is selected based on an effort to get all the PNMs matched to one of their pref chapters. Quota isn't set to keep PNMs out. The chapters want as many PNMs as possible. Panhellenic wants as many PNMs to pledge as possible. The goal is to get these girls pledged.

RFM is a way to manage the numbers. The strongest recruiting chapters don't and shouldn't invite back as many PNMs as groups that aren't as strong at recruitment. It isn't fair to the PNMs. You don't want them to have false expectations by going back to chapters where there is no change they will get a bid. They need to go back to chapters where they have a realistic opportunity to pledge. That is what RFM is all about. RFM is used to tell each chapter how many PNMs they can invite back each round to level the playing field and make it fair for chapters and PNMs.

If you want to complain, the SMU administration is to blame for this stupid timeline of recruitment. Look at other schools. Look at other competitive recruitment campuses. Nobody is as unfair as SMU. Demand that the administration move recruitment to the first semester so the PNMs don't have to go through a tense process for two semesters. The administration wants it both ways. They say they are for the students but what they have forced on panhellenic is BS. The chapters don't want to recruit for two semesters. This is not fun for them. Panhellenic does not want to deal with upset students and parents second semester. It isn't fun for them. Until the administration starts to feel the pain, nothing will change and the students will continue to suffer.

Some say how dare you number groups 2-6 or whatever. Well when recruitment goes on for two semesters, it is pretty easy to figure out where groups fall. On campuses where recruitment is in august before classes start or very early september, most PNMs don't know the difference and PNMs can just pledge where they are happy instead of worrying about rankings. But again, the SMU administration seems to think that they are smarter than any other campus and in the end, the freshmen women are the real ones who suffer. Put the blame where it belongs. Until the timing of recruitment changes, don't expect the results to change. And remember, it is only the administration that wants/demands it be this way.

By: greek geek
#7  by: silliness   

This is the silliest controversy I've ever heard of. RFM means that every single girl who maximizes her choices can receive a bid. You lose all pretense of decency and fairness when you exclude certain of the sororities at our school. You expose your hypocrisy when you say you don't like being excluded from a sorority, but you don't mind excluding two sororities from consideration.

Please JUST STOP.

By: silliness
by: JajaDec 1, 2018 6:26:29 PM

This is 100% on point and the absolute truth. Best comment I’ve seen. And makes the most sense.

By: Jaja

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.