facebook

to that one salty girl/mom

by: Take your hurt feels else

As a proud member of one the sororities you dubbed "House 7 and 8" I'm so happy you dropped out of recruitment and didn't come to us, even though we offered you a chance to see if we were a good fit. We work very hard on our sisterhood as well as seeing the best in people. Even if you don't think we are good enough, we are very happy in a house full of sisters and my friends in houses 7 and 8 feel the same way.

I'm sorry what we offer is not what you wanted out of your experience but I'm fed up with you hating on us and acting like we're financially desperate chapters who pulled strings with panhellenic to make girls miserable. I chose to run home, I was happy to open my bid day card and see what it said. I wanted to be here because I found a family and I'm tired of you being rude about it.

At the end of the day, I'm proud of my letters, and I'm proud of my sisters and next door neighbors. Go be a crybaby somewhere else.

Posted By: Take your hurt feels else
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: ^ Selfish Post   

This GDI Movement is NOT about sororities 7 & 8. Its is about the University and PanHellenic's recruitment tactics and policies. These policies have left 50-100 ladies out of Greek Life in past years. In the recent 5 years, these numbers have increased to over 150, this year almost 200 ladies.

These recruitment cut or dropped ladies have quietly transferred or continued as a GDI at SMU. NOT this year, we are BIG and POWERFUL and DEMAND CHANGES!

By: ^ Selfish Post
by: ^Feb 3, 2018 3:43:51 PM

You funny.

By: ^
by: ha haAug 19, 2018 12:23:57 AM

There is room in a sorority for all girls who desire greek life at SMU. Some, like the sadsack girl who's mom is on here night and day complaining, choose not to be in a sorority because they think they're too good for certain houses. Obviously not. You don't get to complain unless you were cut by all 8 houses. And even then you can COB. And then you can meet some people, get involved, prove your grades and try again next year. So stop complaining!

By: ha ha
#2  by: Love You   

You are amazing and so is your house and your panhellenic sisters love you and support you. This one messed up troll is just another pathetic human being posting on greekrank and is getting easier and easier to ignore at this point. She has no meaning to SMU or any house here; she does nothing, she is nothing.

By: Love You
#3  by: Athena   

Love this amazing post, and love this positive message. Greek life is what you make it, and people like you prove it what is actually is: a strong sisterhood of women who provide service to a philanthropy while working toward high academic achievement, proud to be in their house and glad to be a part of something that provides assistance to so many in need.

Also, troll (you know who you are), acknowledge the fact that if nobody dropped out of recruitment, ALL of the houses would have bigger pledge classes. There WAS room for your army, so yes, please do go to SMU and Panhellenic with your complaints, because they will ONCE AGAIN repeat that these exact same policies apply here and at every other school. They will show you that this was explained from the beginning and that the same rules apply to everyone, even if one person feels they shouldn't apply to her (daughter). A parent approved solution to leave the school is an immature and reactive one at best, and speaks volumes about handling disappointment and overcoming adversity. So sad, but Godspeed. Still waiting to see any mention from you of philanthropy or academics, but let's not hold our breath on that. Also, the labeling of independents in the derogatory term of GDI was a particularly courteous and thoughtful touch. Good job, you.

But my apologies for the digression. In the end, if bids/invitations exist, but a choice is made to refuse them, stop blaming others and look in the mirror. It's not them. It's you. \n\n\n\n\n

By: Athena
by: Lower your NoseFeb 4, 2018 12:19:11 AM

Panhellenic, lower your stuck up nose long enough to read our posts, your and the University's recruitment policies and tactics will be reviewed. Giving your entitled precious 360 legacies a lock on SMU social life each year is monopolistic. There must be better options made for those ladies remaining independent to have an equally thriving social experience.

WE, the recent GDIs are gathering to discuss these social enhancements to the University. Greek Life must NOT dictate social life at SMU.

By: Lower your Nose
by: DuhFeb 4, 2018 1:32:34 AM

^ We are reading and SMU operates Rush no different then any other school. You are doing nothing. You are changing nothing. What you need to change is your attitude. Since social life is all you care about why even go to college at all. Go marry a Cowboy and be a trophy wife.

By: Duh
by: ^ You Again DuhFeb 9, 2018 10:16:37 AM

Must be one of the many sorority girls that "lead us on" during recruitment and now will not acknowledge us as we pass by you between classes. We the newly GDIs did nothing wrong. Just fully complied with the recruitment's rules and realized there were actually just a few pledge member openings for sororities 1-6.

By: ^ You Again Duh
#4  by: Enough   

Enough already. Just stop feeding this troll everybody; no more responses to the absurdities of the posts. It/she is an attention-seeking idiot having a ball pushing your buttons at this point. Everything that can be said has been said. No need to give it any more attention. Just neglect it and let it talk to itself.

By: Enough
#5  by: UT Recruitment Comparison   

Just got a call from my High School friend who is now an active in her top tier UT sorority. We both attended highly esteemed private college preparatory schools and are from upper class Texas families. UT had their recruitment BEFORE classes began in the Fall. She knew the recruitment results and registered last Fall as a first semester freshman with confidence as a top tier sorority pledge. She was initiated last December and is laser focused on her major, sorority life as an active and pursuing her future husband at her sorority's numerous fraternity mixers.

Conversely, I paid 4 times as much on tuition to attend SMU. Began the lengthy recruitment last Fall that lingered into the Spring semester. Received great encouragement and was lead-on by two top tier sororities of my pending bid to their sorority. Just to be cut late and only offered prefs by sororities 7 and 8. Both were not a fit for me.

I now realize, best case scenario is to skip Fall rush and go through Spring recruitment again to try to land a spot in the sororities that interest me. Meaning I will be a Junior before I am an active in one of these sororities. While my High School friend would have been an active for 1 1/2 years.

Realistically, as a Sophomore I will be cut again by the top 6 sororities and will receive the same bids from 7 and 8. It will then be too late to transfer to another university without losing a semester of credits.

So I need to cut my loses and transfer to UT this summer. I will need to take 3 -6 hours of summer school to make up for non-transferable credit hours then go through UT recruitment in August. A brutal schedule of non-stop classes for the next 12 months just to catch up with my UT friend. Otherwise, stay at SMU as a GDI social outcast paying 4 times the tuition as my UT friend.

There are over 200 ladies in this predicament this semester at SMU. Yes, Panhellenic snobs, your recruitment was a historic FAILURE.

By: UT Recruitment Comparison
by: WhuMar 29, 2018 12:27:11 PM

@UT Recruitment Comparison: you may be from a “highly esteemed prep high school” but you would be offered the same a UT recruitment. A chance to join the Lowest tier sororities.

If you decided to go out of state... say Bama where there are tons more ladies in sororities you might be offered a spot in Theta. Yes lowest tiers are full or amazing sisters.

By: Whu
by: Hahahahahahahahhah!Jul 29, 2018 4:41:34 PM

“I’ll receive the same bids from 7 &8 sororities”. I can guarantee you you won’t. Never ever ever. Nor will you get a bid from your transfer school. You know we all talk.

By: Hahahahahahahahhah!
#6  by: Happy   

Love, love, love the positive and sweet message about Panhellenic sisterhood. There is so much sugar here at SMU. Thank you for sprinkling the thread with sweetness!

By: Happy
#7  by: Smu mom   

^^^not true!! ALL of the houses take sophomores!
And the purpose of spring rush is to give the girls many opportunities to meet lots of girls in all of the houses. Stop complaining, what are you teaching your daughter?! Instead of complaining and making up reasons why she didn’t get what she wanted. Tell her to try again next spring and between now and then, meet as many girls as she can from what ever houses she’s interested in! And be fun and outgoing, make a good impression! Stop blaming everyone else, SMU follows the same rules set for all universities!

By: Smu mom
#8  by: True but Very Few   

Pending upon the sorority and their quotas, they can give a few bids to sophomores. The number of sophomore bids is limited. They give priority to transfers, then to those going through recruitment again. On average, each sorority will offer under 5 sophomores a bid. Not a promising option to those 200 of us who were cut or had no suitable sorority option this year.

Full Disclosure is requested to list all those legacies and non-legacies in each sorority PC this semester. Then disclose how many in each PC are sophomores, transfers and those that went through recruitment again. These historic facts will disclose the truth in how the Greek System at SMU is a closed society.

By: True but Very Few
#9  by: numvbers   

I am very supportive of 7 and 8. They should be given every advantage and every consideration by potential new members. But 200 women dropping out is roughly 26 percent of the women in the freshman class (200 / (1,522 x .5). Those numbers cannot be ignored.

This post assumes (and it's a big assumption) that all 200 transfer solely because of they did not get a bid to a sorority they wanted.

Using the numbers posted on SMU's website (current through 2016), the 200 women transferring would represent about a 13 percent attrition rate (200/1,522). (Interestingly, 1,723 bachelor's degrees were conferred 2015-2016.) Whether SMU actually takes any action on this would depend of whether transfers can replace the number of students lost.

If 13 percent of the freshman class leaves solely because of sorority rush experience, it will get the attention of SMU's administration.

If 26 percent of the women in the freshman class (200 / (1,522 x .5)) actually leave solley because of their rush experience, it will definitely get the attention of SMU's administration. It would be difficult to believe that SMU would not take any action at all. But if they do, they may move slower on changes than what would be acceptable to those complaining on this site.

I suspect that if all 200 students actually complain (and not just complain on Greek Rank), those complaints really cannot be ignored by SMU's administration.

The real question to consider: Will 200 students leave SMU just because of this?

By: numvbers
#10  by: Read Their Posts   

Panhellenic cannot pretend to offer 360 memberships to over 600 powerful ladies without dissent. Being from one of the 1-6 sororities, I heard first hand many verbal offerings of membership. Many of these were not possible due to quota limits.

I encourage these ladies to make suggestions on how we can better prepare them for the disappointment of quota limits. Being a GDI in such a socially Greek Life controlled financially expensive university is hard to validate.

By: Read Their Posts

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.