facebook

kindness v. prestige in yale greek life

by: Kindness v. Prestige

Why is it that Yalies often promote political progressive values such as egalitarianism but respect the meanest fraternities and sororities st the top while considering the nice sororities and fraternities as bottom tier?
We, as Yalies, should think hard about the egalitarian values that we promote and should consistently do so in the Greek system. Kappa and Sigma Nu should be considered the tip tier since they are the nicest and most egalitarian. Theta and Sig Ep should considered at the bottom due their being elitist and snobby.

Posted By: Kindness v. Prestige
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Wow   

I'm not even in Theta (truly) and I do not understand where all of these spam posts are coming from. If you knew anyone in Theta you wouldn't be saying this. I would definitely say that SigEp is elitist because of how they treat people who aren't on their list, but conflating Theta to that kind of behavior is just inaccurate

By: Wow
by: agreedFeb 19, 2019 12:02:06 AM

It's not about Theta or Sig Ep...Its the whole system. Go ahead and put the sororitys and frats in any random tier ranking order based on whatever criteria you want but it still is a failed system based on inequality and exclusion.

By: agreed
#2  by: yeah   

It's the tired old liberal elitism...I can preach inclusiveness and equity as long as I am safe and deemed special in my ELITE AND EXCLUSIVE bubble.

By: yeah
by: time for a change Feb 15, 2019 5:36:10 PM

this ^^^

By: time for a change
by: OkFeb 15, 2019 5:41:12 PM

Ok sure, but I don't think that problem exists exclusively in Theta. This sounds like a critique of the entire Greek system.

By: Ok
by: ^Feb 15, 2019 5:57:47 PM

I agree. Engender brings up some VERY important points and I don't think we should bash specific fraternities and sororities disproportionately

By: ^
#3  by: But    

You're missing OP's point. If we truly value equity and inclusion on campus, why do we have "tiered" rankings that seek to divide by false narratives?

By: But
by: DEIJan 11, 2023 7:35:12 PM

C'mon Yalies - you are better than Animal House!

By: DEI
#4  by: I know   

pretty sure the yale greek system won't be around in a few years...I mean how can an intellectually elite school promote such classism, exclusion and inequity...really.

By: I know
#5  by: But what about...   

Classism, exclusion, and inequity are promoted EVEN MORE by the society system. Prestigious societies with 5th generation legacies and big tombs that only invite other prestigious societies to their parties. Complaints about the sigep list pale in comparison to that. Will socieifes leave too? Harder to believe.

By: But what about...
by: yeahFeb 20, 2019 2:32:50 AM

^bump, elitism of societies seems to go unnoticed

By: yeah
by: not trueFeb 21, 2019 1:17:44 PM

Societies don't judge on looks my friends...big difference

By: not true
by: ehSep 11, 2021 11:42:39 PM

@not true - at least you can do something about looks - you can work out, dress nice, eat well

You can't do anything about family money. That is why societies are worse than the "fake" frats.

By: eh
#6  by: ok   

but why is it prestige vs. kindness...Shouldn't kindess = prestige. I mean prestige should be inclusion, equity, love to all even if you didn't go to a prep school, have rich parents or a botox face.

By: ok
#7  by: Absolutely   

If we are truly feminists we shouldn't rank in terms of looks, body type, wealth etc, . We MUST lead the way or we will be a parody on the next SNL as we should be!

By: Absolutely
by: uhSep 23, 2021 9:49:29 PM

Theta has been basking in their privilege forever. Change your membership criteria if you want to be progressive and relevant.

By: uh
#8  by: six   

this is so true. I mean sororitys are empowering to women but not if they exist to tier and rank and exclude.

By: six
by: Today Mar 8, 2019 8:22:42 PM

International Women's Day - time for action!

By: Today
#9  by: yes!   

Love this thread!

By: yes!
#10  by: OMG   

Could kkg be more transparent and desperate? Bashing other sororities because they are the bottom!

By: OMG

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.