facebook

sophomore sorority rush

by: conflicted

I'm a freshman and ended up not being able to rush at the last second. I'm hearing mixed things about the system being screwed up and sophomores basically not being invited back to any houses. is that true? if not, which sororities are most likely to take sophomore recruits? is it even worth doing next year...

Posted By: conflicted
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: sophomores   

Were you not able to rush because of grades? If that's the case, then get your grades up or you will be cut regardless of class standing. A freshman with a 4.0 is way more desirable than a sophomore with a 2.8. Also, a sophomore who never rushed is more likely to do better during recruitment than a sophomore who already went through recruitment the year before.
I think almost all the sororities took at least 2 sophomores. I think the cuts are more brutal for sophomores in the beginning, but many sophomores have good recruitments and they need to just keep an open mind. I heard a lot of sophomores this year dropped out of recruitment on their own because they had been cut by top tier groups and that is who they only wanted.

By: sophomores
by: conflictedMar 6, 2014 2:47:11 PM

No, I have good grades this year and intend to next year. I just got really sick the night before so I never even went through it. That being said, Is it impossible to get a bid from a top tier being a sophomore (even with good grades)?

By: conflicted
by: toptierMar 7, 2014 7:28:33 AM

top tiers take 2 or 3 sophomores each year. if you think you're likable enough that most people would vote for you if you were to compete with numerous other sophomores, then yeah you could get in.

By: toptier
by: hmMar 10, 2014 2:05:30 PM

yeah every organization is required to take a couple. it doesn't make a difference at all to some organizations, but to others, esp top tier, it will be much much harder to get a bid bc they won't take more than the min so you will be competing against all the other sophomores. they also definitely favor transfers, and then people who never rushed, and then everyone else.

By: hm
#2  by: possible   

It's possible to get in a top tier, but you better be friends with 99% of the sisters before recruitment. They only take 1-3 sophomores that they know. AXiD, Delta, and Sigma Kappa take a few more sophomores, like 4-5, most of the sophomore pnms already know the girls in the houses and they might take a gamble on 1 that they don't know too well if they do well during recruitment. I think they might also be more open to transfer students. Sophomores really need to keep an open mind, their options can be limited.

By: possible
by: CuriousMar 7, 2014 12:15:00 PM

What if you decide to rush as a sophomore but study abroad fall of junior year? Will sororities not want you?

By: Curious
#3  by: no   

the fact that you keep having to ask here means you wont get a bid. no one wants to give a bid to a sophomore tryhard.

By: no
#4  by: ehh   

i don't think top tiers have a problem taking sophomores. my friend is one of 6 or 7 sophomores in phi mus pledge class from last year (so junior in sophomore pc). as a sophomore you will probably have more of an idea where you belong and will likely have connections to get you in where you want. if you have no idea, and no connections, you just have to be really good at rush week and hope for the best

By: ehh
#5  by: take my advice   

don't rush as a sophomore. houses will lead you on and drop you unless you're basically friends with most of the sorority. the whole rush process really isn't worth it as long as you have good close friends already

By: take my advice
#6  by: colony   

with the amount of people going through recruitment, someone should bring a new chapter to campus.

By: colony
by: nopeApr 15, 2014 7:32:38 PM

Thats not going to happen Elon is trying to minimize greek life here the last thing they would do is make a new sorority I think most girls would get bids if they gave each organization a chance which most girls don't so its partially their own fault if they don't make it

By: nope

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.