facebook

positivies of sororities

by: positively

I'm on the fence about going through recruitment. My friends at other schools love being in sororities but all I keep hearing are gossipy things about each sorority and being "top tier" and whatever. Are there any good things to say about the sororities on our campus, or is it not worth it if you aren't all about money, how you look and hooking up with frat guys?

Posted By: positively
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Do It!   

Being in a sorority is an amazing experience that goes beyond your four years here at Elon it creates a bond with so many different people and in the right organization you have the ability to discover yourself and grow as a person each of the sororities has something different to offer girls that's why it's more important to focus on where you feel comfortable rather than what sorority is most popular if you do make the choice to go through rush and find a house where you feel happy and comfortable then that's amazing and I'd be so happy for you but also that being said greek life isn't for everyone so if during the process of rush you feel that you aren't fitting in anywhere then you are able to drop out but I would encourage sticking it out and seeing where you end up greek life is wonderful

By: Do It!
#2  by: good&bad   

You are going to hear the good and bad (probably more rumors right now) going into recruitment. Try not to focus or listen to any of it. Every sorority has their positives and negatives just like any organization on campus. There are tons of great chill girls in every chapter. If you keep an open mind and look at every day during recruitment like a new day, then you will be fine. And if you don't like the process when your in it, you can always release yourself because Greek Life isn't for everyone.

By: good&bad
#3  by: Try it   

Greek Life isn't for everyone. Go and try it out, meet the sororities. If you don't see yourself being with the same group of girls for 4 years, then you can drop anytime.

By: Try it
#4  by: lets be honest   

lets be honest, most girls only join sororities so they have a group of ppl around to party with. its the social events/sororityfraternitymixers/formals etc that draw girls in. youre going to have your own clique no matter which sorority you join, some sisterhoods are more close than others, but ultimately you'd be joining mainly for the exclusive social events.

By: lets be honest
#5  by: first choice   

I disagree with the person who said joining a sororoity is mainly for going to exculsive social events. I think the social events are a fun perk to being in a sorority. I joined as a sophomore, already had a great group of friends and was involved on campus. I went through recruitment and kept my options open because I have friends in a lot of organizations. I joined the chapter I am in because I had a great time at the house during every recruitment event, I always loved going to the sororities philanthropy events - even when I wasn't greek, and the girls were genuine. I did well during recruitment, only was cut from two chapters the entire time. I got my first choice and can't imagine being anywhere else.

By: first choice
#6  by: welllll   

if you think you aren't paying hundreds of dollars for friends, youre kidding yourself. anytime a girl desisters and drops a sorority, shes pretty loses the 100 friends she bought and never talks to them again. whichever sorority you join is the group of ppl you'll be around all the time and you'll drift away from friends who joined other sororities or chose not to join any. hence the greeklife relatively negative sentiment towards "gdis".

By: welllll
by: desistersDec 12, 2013 1:23:47 AM

when a girl desisters she doesnt lose friends because she was buying them she loses them because when a girl desisters shes basically telling everyone in the sorority she doesnt like them enough to hang out with them anymore desistering is something that girls take very personally

By: desisters
by: thatsDec 12, 2013 6:56:36 AM

thats probably true but some of them also desister because they can no longer afford all of the dues and additional expenses. they still pretty much get cut off socially. there are multiple reasons someone would desister.

By: thats
by: falseDec 13, 2013 9:34:33 AM

I have a friend who is no longer a part of our organization but we all still invite her to many events. Friendships in general are what you make of it, not the fact of whether or not one is a part of a sorority.

By: false
#7  by: donot   

do not trust any of the sororities during recruitment events. they all put on a show of how amazing/close their sisterhoods are, and they're trying to get as many girls to want to join them as possible so obviously they will put on that image that they're a perfect sisterhood. they're all sunshine and rainbows and best friends when theyre trying to recruit you. you've gotta hang out with the sisters during the regular semester outside of rush week to get a better sense of how they truly are and to see if you'll truly get along with and fit in with the sorority. all of the advertising for their philanthropy events is such bull, they all want to be portrayed as perfect. hang out with them at parties to actually get to know their real personalities.

By: donot
#8  by: truth   

don't read this site. it gives elon greek life a bad name and 98% of the stuff posted isn't true and is posted by the same small group of people. try it out!

By: truth
by: noDec 13, 2013 7:04:43 AM

it only gives a small percentage of elon greek life a bad name. there are some really genuine and down to earth frats and sororities at elon. people don't bash them because they don't go around showing themselves off and craving attention all the time.

By: no
by: noDec 13, 2013 7:09:45 AM

sure a group of people come on here and bash certain frats and sororities but they probably hold a grudge because it's true. usually rumors stem from the truth. it wouldnt start unless there was truth to it. this site just shows more truth than recruitment and rush week when every single sorority acts like they're 100% happy, best friends, and have a close sisterhood. ppl come on here to say that this is not always the case. they come on here to show how some guys and girls really are, and show elon's actual opinions of them.

By: no

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.