facebook

what's it like?

by: UKfreshman14

Hi everyone! I apologize in advance for this somewhat long post ;) I have been accepted to University of Kentucky for this fall and I am really excited! I am not from Kentucky, nor have I ever been there, so I don't know much about the culture of the state or the university. The only southern state I have ever been to is Alabama, and I LOVED the southern hospitality and how kind, welcoming, and friendly everyone was. Does this state/school have that kind of atmosphere? Is greek life here super competitive where some sororities think they are above the others, or is it like one big family? One more thing.. I am very interested in politics and enjoy discussing it with others, even those I disagree with. Do people at this school conservative or liberal? Thanks!! :)

Posted By: UKfreshman14
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: well..   

not much southern hospitality here... also a very liberal school. not many conservatives or country folks here at all.

By: well..
by: StudentFeb 5, 2014 6:16:43 PM

I disagree with the above post with prejudice. There is plenty of Southern hospitality. Also, the Greek system is pretty competitive, but works really well together for important causes and philanthropies. There are plenty of liberals on campus, as people are young and stupid, but I have met many more conservative (mostly fiscal) and independent/libertarian types than full out koolaid liberals. All in all, a great place to spend 4 years.

By: Student
by: I'm hereMar 18, 2014 2:53:41 PM

Trust me...plenty of country folks around. Greek life is not that competitive. Not like other big truly southern schools. Much more of a midwest, blue-collar vibe.

By: I'm here
#2  by: truth   

In no way shape or form is this a "liberal" school. Nearly everyone I meet has highly conservative views. Coming from PA, I know liberal areas and this certainly isn't one of them. Also, I would equate the hospitality here more to a midwestern town than a southern one, although you will get a mix as many people stem from in-state, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio.

Hope this helps!

By: truth
#3  by: MIDWESTERN SCHOOL   

being from a northern state I was expecting UK to be a southern school full of hospitality. But I was definitely wrong. 99% of the campus is from Illinois or Ohio. It's basically a school where all the northerners congregate to because they wanted to go south but didn't want to go too far away from home. It's a try hard school and because most people realize it's not southern and want it to be. It's like the little kid of the family who wants to be like his big brothers (Alabama, Ole Miss, Georgia)... and just can't get it right. The weather isn't like a southern school and the people are not hospitable. I would hate to see someone being misled like I was and coming to what they thought would be a "southern" school.

By: MIDWESTERN SCHOOL
by: yesFeb 5, 2014 10:47:38 PM

definitely agreed with above. by living in kentucky my whole life, i can say that this is definitely not a "pure" southern state. but everyone from up north treats UK like it's purely southern.

By: yes
#4  by: UKFreshman14   

So this is not a southern school whatsoever? Is it a friendly and welcoming atmosphere? I am from the north and looking to come to the "south" to be in a southern hospitality atmosphere.

By: UKFreshman14
by: TruthFeb 18, 2014 8:46:58 PM

It's not very southern honestly. While there are a good amount of people from the south, it is a good mixture of the north, south, East, and Midwest. Word of advice, I am from the north too and I wanted an SEC feeling school- UK is amazing but welcoming of any area. This is good when it comes to recruitment, because I had lots of friends who went to a heavily southern school and were dropped from certain sororities and are excluded because they're not from the south.... The south can be very cut throat and while it sounds fun and everything It actually can be very unwelcoming. UK is great because it's a mixture of everything. Go wildcats!

By: Truth
by: GuestApr 7, 2014 12:32:31 PM

UK is not really a southern school. More mid-western, boring.

By: Guest
#5  by: hmm   

interesting comments on here... is UK really that dominated by northern students? or would you say northerners are the minority?

By: hmm
#6  by: Honest   

Within the Greek system itself, there are hints of southern people. Some fraternities and sororities are more southern than others. Overall, the greek system is not nearly as southern as Ole miss, Georgia, or Alabama. However, there are pockets of people who are southern. UK is definitely a meeting point for many of people from the North and some from the South. Overall, Lexington is a very liberal city, but it has aspects that are very southern like Keeneland. If you come here, don't expect it to be like bama or ole miss. Contrarily, don't get the impression everyone here is from Ohio and Illinois. Sure, there are some, but they don't dominate any sorority or fraternity except Phi Delt.

By: Honest
#7  by: SouthernGal   

I just read through this post and decided to comment. I am in the exact opposite position as the original poster. I am from the south and University of Kentucky has become an option for me to transfer to because of the awesome scholarships. While I don't necessarily want the ole miss/Bama vibe... I would very much like to attend a school with traditional values/traditions and a somewhat conservative student body. Although it may not be the true south, I would still love to have the welcoming and friendly campus vibe. Should it be able to find this at UK or should I be looking elsewhere?

By: SouthernGal
#8  by: Guest   

UK is not a southern school. Most of the students are from the flyover states of IL and OH (and KY). Really more of a blue collar/farm student population. Probably shouldn't be in the SEC as it really doesn't fit geographically or philosophically.

By: Guest
#9  by: Yeah   

UK is not really a southern school...

By: Yeah
#10  by: ...   

UK greek life is going downhill. If you want a school that lets the students party without 50 cops showing up an hour in, raging tailgates, and not have to worry about getting in trouble by the administration then DON'T go here. The school does not support it's Greek organizations. It's not so much about "northern vs southern," schools in the "northern" states party harder and have better Greek life than UK.

By: ...

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.