facebook

advice

by: Incoming Freshman

I've heard during rush week, you need to make a decision almost right off the bat for which fraternity you'd want to join so that you can invest the rest of your week at that fraternity, giving you better chances of receiving a bid. But how can you find the right fraternity for you when there's so many and only a few days to pick one?

The main things I want to get out of being in a fraternity would be a social life, getting involved on campus early, having guys to hang with, and the attractive girls. I realize that almost every fraternity parties and there are probably blonde bombshells at every one (correct me if I'm wrong).

Is it better to join a large fraternity? Or a smaller one? Newer? Older? I feel like you could get to know more of the guys in the fraternity if it's a little smaller, but what do I know.

Just a little advice would be nice.

Posted By: Incoming Freshman
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Soph   

Not necessarily true. It helps to have an idea of which 3-4 you wanna decide between. I love being in a large fraternity but its all about where the best fit is.

By: Soph
#2  by: adding on to that   

I would recommend seeing as many as possible(that you're interested in) on the preview night(where all fraternities are set up in whitehall) and then choosing a top 3 to go to on the first night of open houses. If you can, I would try and narrow that 3 down to 2 as quick as you can. From there, go to both fraternities every night, it'll be hard to get a bid without being there every time unless you have a reason and you tell them that you're not gonna be there. The reason you want to go to 2 is that you'll have another option should you not get a bid to the one you want.

As far as large vs. small, it's really a matter of personal preference. From what you described as being what you would like to get out of a fraternity, if I were you I would go with a fraternity with around 80-120 people. As far as newer vs. older, this is again personal preference. Newer fraternities offer the ability to put yourself in a leadership position more easily and early on, generally less hazing(or even none at all), and the ability to 'make the fraternity your own'. On the other hand, some of them don't have houses(not necessarily bad when you consider that dues will be lower) and don't have large alumni bases. Older fraternities offer a lot of tradition and reputation, significant alumni contributions, and generally nicer houses. On the other hand, many of them have very rough pledge processes with severe hazing and many of the older fraternities have stopped caring about being involved.

By: adding on to that
#3  by: Also   

I would also add that IFC has a lot of information on their website that can help you narrow down which fraternities you may be interested in. They will also hand out information and have events during K Week and during rush. Meeting the guys in the fraternity and getting info from IFC is the best way to narrow your choice. Getting information by reading the ratings on this website is probably your worst option when it comes to getting quality info because the vast majority of it is completely ridiculous and false.

By: Also
#4  by: decisions decisions   

Go to the presentation night at Whitehall when all of the fraternities will be on display. Talk to the guys and make a small list of your favorite 2-3 groups, then rush those. Make sure you narrow your list enough so that you have enough time to give yourself a chance with at least a few.

By: decisions decisions

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.