facebook

to fall rushees: about sororities

by: Upperclassman

If you're thinking about rushing in the fall, you're probably worried about which house you'll rush, what their reputations are, etc. Before worrying about that, though, you need to know that everything you will see or hear about these girls is completely and totally relative. Because Samford is Samford, the Greek system isn't like other schools', and that's important to remember. Girls have best friends who are in other houses and who are independent (I know I do!), and everything is much too small for people to truly section themselves off from everyone else.

That said, the sororities are definitely different from each other. It's important to look for a house where you fit in and feel at home. Reputations for sororities vary nationally, so find a group of girls that you identify with before looking at the letters they wear. Sisterhood is the reason sororities were formed, so that's what you should concern yourself with first. But bear in mind that others still will form opinions of you based on what they know about your sorority, but that can't be helped - people will always, always look at you based on your associations before they get to know you. So, even though that will happen, don't worry about it when choosing your sisterhood.

Posted By: Upperclassman
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Upperclassman   

That being said, you're probably looking for a picture of some of the houses on campus, so I'm going to try to help out in an unbiased manner.

In alphabetical order...

AΔΠ: These girls are a diverse group. For the most part, they're seen as the "brainy" ones, as they generally have the highest GPAs. Many of them are also very involved in a lot of areas of school. Sometimes they can be seen as kind of awkward, some of them are very "sorority-ish," and a lot of them are somewhere in the middle. Partiers exist but aren't as prominent. Their pledge classes can be especially cliquey, but this year (2012-2013) was better.

AOΠ: This sorority, like ΑΔΠ, is very diverse, but more in a way where there are a few noticeable groups of girls. Some of them are partiers, some of them are more on the awkward side, but a lot of them are really, really nice. They have some involvement in their individual members but aren't known for it on the whole - unfortunately, their reputation has been that it's the sorority you join if you don't get a bid from the others. Lately, though, they've been improving - a lot of girls have found really great sisterhood here, and some of last year's girls have potential to set a great foundation for future girls.

ΧΩ: Chi O has a reputation for being very similar nationwide - a lot of these girls are not your conventional "sorority girl"; instead, many of them are pretty hipster or "granola." Some of these girls like to party, but overall...

By: Upperclassman
#2  by: Upperclassman   

...their reputation is that they're very laid-back and cool. They aren't as notably involved in campus leadership as some of the houses, but they're very well known and well liked by many.

ΦΜ: These girls are probably the most "cookie cutter" of all the houses on Samford; aside from a handful of partiers, they are all very, very similar: beyond sweet, somewhat quiet, and not overly involved. As far as sisterhood goes, they aren't overly cliquey, but they aren't as strongly unified in sisterhood as the "ideal sisterhood" might be. Overall, though, they are sweet girls.

ZTA: Zeta probably has the most various opinions of them on campus, and part of that stems from the fact that Zetas differ from each other - maybe not as much as ADPi or AOII, but a cookie cutter won't fit these girls as well as Phi Mu or even Chi O. For the most part, Zetas are widely regarded as the socialite partiers of campus (which is still nowhere near as severe a label as it would be at a bigger school). Though this label does cover a larger portion of their girls pretty well, several Zetas are the complete opposite - sugary sweet, toned down, and not big on the party scene.

I hope this is helpful, and remember - choose your sorority (or choose not to join!) based on YOU and how you feel that you fit. Rush may not be ideal, you might not get your first pick, or you might decide to drop, but the one thing that most people agree on about the process is that it shows you where you need to be. Good luck!

By: Upperclassman
#3  by: SUIndy   

If Phi Mu is not "overly involved" how did they end up winning 4 Greek Life Year End Awards last year, Philanthropy, Academic, IM Champs and Greek Woman of the Year? That was more than ANY other house! Also 2 homecoming reps, lots of Miss Samford's, Miss Alabama, Orientation Leader, Ambassadors, several SRTs , SGA, cheerleaders and the list goes on. They even one a big national award for several years running for raising so much money for Children's Miracle Network. As far as sisterhood, my roommate last year was a Phi Mu and she was always doing stuff with her sisters and her big and Phi Mu family. Hmmmmm... Maybe they are just humble or you have another reason why you want people to not get a real picture. The one thing you got right is they are sweet. Oh and I have lots of Zeta friends too. Nice girls. Stop planting seeds of poison under a veil of "concern"...

By: SUIndy
by: UpperclassmenJul 13, 2013 11:10:03 AM

I'm sorry, you're right - lots of Phi Mus are involved, I just meant that I, personally, don't get the impression of them being involved as a collective. They are beyond sweet, loving girls, and one of my best friends is a Phi Mu sister.

And as for "poison," that's not my intent at all. Like I said, everyone has different impressions of houses based on the people they know - and I know amazing girls from ALL of the sororities.

And Zetas are very nice - again, I have great friends in their sisterhood, too. All I wanted to emphasize are that some of them are seen as "partiers" on the whole (though they exist in other houses, too). I realize that I didn't word it well, and I'm sorry for that; I in no way want to disparage any of the houses, I just want to be helpful to girls who might not be on the inside information track before they get to school.

By: Upperclassmen
#4  by: No, UpperclassmEn   

You know exactly what you are doing, and that is fomenting rumors. You are not being helpful, you are being tacky, under the guise of being "helpful."

Don't want to disparage any of the houses? Then don't post statements like you did. If you are sincere in not wanting to disparage, remove your posts. You are not promoting good feelings, good will, or the panhellenic spirit. Shame on you!

By: No, UpperclassmEn
#5  by: No, UpperclassmEn   

Furthermore, why don't you just let the PNMs discover each chapter for themselves, form their own opinions and make their own decisions.

By: No, UpperclassmEn
#6  by: Senior   

I wrote a really long message breaking down things about the houses, for the most part they agree with whoever "upperclassmen" is, but I decided to delete it because I looked back on my rush experience and how hard it was for me to let go of "labels" because of sites like this.

To incoming freshmen:
take everything you read here with a (huge) grain of salt. Sorority girls get on here to tear down (or self rank) other chapters so all you're hearing is the worst. I let what other people thought of me get in the way when I rushed, and I wish I hadn't. You're not in high school anymore (though it can at times feel like it when there's only like 15 people in your class); you find your group and nothing outside of that really matters. The only time labels matter is during rush when you're sitting in that waiting room and people are gossiping with one another. Cliche as this sounds, be yourself and stay true to your heart and you'll end up in the right place... Even if it isn't your first choice.

By: Senior

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.