facebook

is greek life here worth it?

by: FaF

The school's website doesn't give much info but I just wanted to know what Greek life is like here.

Posted By: FaF
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Disneyfan728   

Some facts.

Greek Life is small (~6%) at WSU. The organizations do their best to do as many philanthropies and events on or near campus as they can, and have a disproportional representation in other clubs or as members of Student Senate (~25%). Greek Council exists but isn't as powerful or necessary as on other campuses. Panhellenic exists and runs the national sororities. There is no other official governing body for the Fraternities.

There are four sororities at WSU - (founding date)
Alpha Sigma Tau( 2017), Delta Phi Epsilon (est 1991), Phi Theta Chi (est 1991; local) and Sigma Sigma Sigma (1992).

Delta Phi Epsilon has an official house.

There are three Fraternities in Winona - (founding date)
Kappa Chi (1990 renamed 2017; independent), Sigma Tau Gamma(1960-87; 2012) and Tau Kappa Epsilon(1970-75, 1991-92, 1996).

Kappa Chi has an official house.

Greek Life at WSU is worth the investment. Ignore the rumors and nonsense and go to recruitment if you're interested.

By: Disneyfan728
by: SuhJun 19, 2018 2:47:15 AM

Kappa ain't a real thing. Get over it man. They're gonna die off in the next two to three years.

By: Suh
by: WSUSororJun 19, 2018 9:12:54 AM

You'd think they would go away but they keep getting guys and making improvments. Guess we just need to talk more or learn to get a long.

By: WSUSoror
#2  by: Yes   

I love Greek life at WSU. It can be messy at times, but what organizations wouldnt be when run by college students lol. If youre looking for a sorority definitely go through formal recruitment! You can get info from any of the organizations social media accounts or the Panhellenic social media accounts. All of the women I've worked with have been great. I've learned a lot and definitely grown as an individual. The community really makes you feel at home.

If you're looking for a frat, I'd say it's worth looking into. I definitely don't know as much about what they do, but the guys in it seem to enjoy it.

Real talk. Avoid the local sorority and kappa chi. Kappa got thrown off campus. They aren't a real frat any more. Just a bunch of guys that party too much and live in a fire hazard of a home. Phi theta chi, the local sorority, just had a big hazing scandal and barely has any members. Both organizations are probably going to die off in the next couple of years.

Whatever you decide, good luck with your school year! Hope you find a place you love too.

By: Yes
#3  by: Yes   

Greek life is relatively small, but it's big enough where you'll always run into somebody you know around campus. Its a cool way to gain connections really fast. Really pushes you're communication skills.

Obviously, it really depends which organization you join. If they're a national in good standing with university... They're probably worth looking into! I wouldn't bother with the drama of "locals" though.

They're always in trouble.

By: Yes
#4  by: TKEGent   

Everyone talking about KX and IOX having problems forgets they've been on campus longer than anyone else. They have a lot of alumni that want them to exist. They're not going anywhere.

BTW Disney poster is wrong, we have a house too.

By: TKEGent
#5  by: Brother   

Smh everyone forgetting about the GOAT roll Phi Beta Sigma

By: Brother
#6  by: FaF   

So would you say that the school isn't very tolerant of Greeks, seeing how a lot of the frats seem to get kicked off often?

Also, how would you say the general social scene at the school is? Is it a suitcase school?

Thanks for all the info so far!

By: FaF
by: WSUSororJun 25, 2018 9:05:07 AM

It's a huge suitcase school for underclassmen. I would say at least 50% go home on the weekends. Everybody that stays seems to party though. There are parties on virtually every block around campus. I would say most freshmen go to the frats when they do their big theme parties but not much more.

I would think they don't like the frats because some have messed up and some just have the reputation. The sports teams are KNOWN to haze but they seem to have a lot less consequences than just RUMORS.

SigTau is the only frat thats really in good standing and many would say its because they're not above pretending to be quality.

I also think frats (and greek life) generally is looked down upon more now than it ever has been.

By: WSUSoror

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.