facebook

Choosing your house

by: Old guy

This is coming from an outgoing senior who has been heavily involved in every level of Greek life our community has to offer.

When it comes to choosing a house, your mentality should not be focused on social status. Choosing a house (regardless of fraternity/sorority) is choosing who your family is for the next four years. Find people who you can talk to easily, open up to, and trust when you experience your highest highs or your lowest lows. Don’t get caught up on how each individual house is perceived in the ranking hierarchy.

Outside of parties, Greek week, philanthropy, and all the other stuff Greek life members focus heavily on, the greater experience boils down to one common denominator. Your house is the greatest resource to your own well-being that college offers you. From a mental health standpoint, having a group of peers who are going through the same struggles, the same triumphs, and the same circumstances as you in such a close setting can not be replicated on the same scale anywhere else in the collegiate experience. Find a group of people who are focused on bringing out the best in each other, overcoming obstacles, and creating something that exceeds their individual selfs.

All I’m saying is be open to the houses that many people talk over. It’s not about rankings, it’s about finding the people who are devoted to building a true family. And this coming from a person who comes from an alleged “top house”.

Sorry for the preachiness, I’m hammered right now. If you have to do recruitment this fall virtually through zoom, my prayers go out to you lmao.

Posted By: Old guy
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Mhmm   

Girl in a sorority here who is also hammered rn lol. THIS SITE DOES NOT MATTER. Literally no one cares what house you're in. I can name girls in every single sorority that I like and who are amazing girls. I can honestly say I could have found a home in any of the houses, and you can too if you try.

By: Mhmm
#2  by: Exactly   

Yes exactly! I’m so happy to hear people say all that! In addition to all this, personally I’d warn against judging the moral stand point of an entire group, because of the actions of one. It’s not just Greek life, every large organized group of people, gets pinned for bad media when a single person acts inappropriately, college sports teams face the same problem. Don’t call an entire group horrible, and say they are a terrible group because one person was bad. If you do research you’ll probably see the group you accused, actually removed that member, them worked to correct the recruitment process to make sure bad people don’t get in as easily anymore. There’s a lot of good in Greek life, it just doesn’t get reported as much as the bad.

By: Exactly
by: Old guyJul 27, 2020 11:18:29 AM

Absolutely! Bad news makes headlines, good news makes the additional announcements section of chapter meeting minutes. The actions of a few don’t determine the entire group, but how the entire group responds to those actions does.

By: Old guy
#3  by: Bump   

Bumppppp

By: Bump

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.