facebook

time commitment of signing as a junior?

by: English

I'm curious as to what the year would look like as a junior looking to pledge a house, as far as time commitment goes.

I'm already in my major (that I need to get high grades in), I have a part-time job that I can't leave, and I'm seeking to join clubs/student organizations. I'm also trying to visit my family when I can, as they need me around every now and then.

Obviously if I do decide to join a house sacrifices need to be made, but I'm not sure how possible it'd be, especially during pledge quarter.

Would I be better off not joining the Greek system, waiting until winter/spring to see if things look up, or doing my best to manage everything?

Posted By: English
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Hmmm   

Not gonna lie it's gonna be hard. Of course you can try it out and then drop of its becoming too much

By: Hmmm
by: EnglishSep 12, 2016 7:10:01 PM

I understand that I can negotiate a bit with them and see if it's possible, but I'm just trying to get an accurate perception on the outlook. Most of the people I've talked to about this have said that it'll probably be worth it just to join a professional fraternity instead, along with clubs/extracurriculars.

I just don't know if I can commit to months of sacrifices to become a member, as much as I would really want to. I'll probably join and see if I really can stick it out, and then drop it if it's too much, like you said.

By: English
#2  by: .   

Maybe try it out and drop if you need to? I'd get on joining one quickly though as there's not much time left

By: .
by: EnglishSep 14, 2016 8:33:32 PM

If I am unable to join this quarter (due to work, taking care of fam, etc), how possible would it be to join during Winter quarter or Spring quarter?

by: EhSep 14, 2016 9:05:12 PM

Possible, but not likely

By: Eh
#3  by: .   

If you can't rush until winter/spring you should probably not even try. Rushing as a junior is already pretty late and if you join in the spring youll basically be rushing as a senior and no one wants that. Juniors can join houses if they rush in the summer but that's kind of the last chance. Since you're already looking to be really involved I think you should just skip this one maybe.

By: .
by: yeahSep 16, 2016 9:44:03 PM

agreed

By: yeah
#4  by: English   

I really appreciate your input. I understand where you're coming from.

To put things into perspective, I've just signed with a house, but my main reasons of joining a house would be for a good social life/experience and for the girls. Are those bad reasons to join? I'd really like to stay, but I feel like my sole reason to stay is to only benefit myself rather than the entire PC, and that's really selfish.

Plus I'd really like my grades to stay where they are and not drop tremendously.

by: EnglishSep 17, 2016 8:57:03 PM

This was a reply to the 3rd comment above.

by: You're fineSep 17, 2016 9:17:40 PM

That's why most people join you're fine. Enjoy it

By: You're fine

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.