facebook

formal rush as a sophomore

by: DJ

For this year, I really really want to rush as a sophomore. I'm aware that it's probably going to be harder to rush as a sophomore, but I'm willing to make the extra effort to get close with my sorority sisters.

Also, I've decided kinda late about whether I wanted to rush or not and I have already signed the lease of an off-campus apartment. I can't back out of it and I would rather live in this apartment for my sophomore year. However, I'm willing to live in the sorority chapter house my junior and senior year.

Because of these circumstances, how difficult will it be for me to get into a good house? Preferably, I'd like to get into a top/upper mid/mid house.

Is it even worth it to do formal rush at this point or should I opt for doing COB?

Posted By: DJ
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Hi   

There aren't any houses that will give you a bid after formal recruitment and then allow you to live out of the house for a year. If you really have no choice but to stay in an apartment your sophomore year, your best choice is to COB winter/spring quarter. That way you you can stay in your apartment but accept a bid. Your best choice doing COB as a sophomore is probably bottom, maybe middle if you are really hot and they really like you. To be honest, if you really want to bond with your new sisters, your best bet is to somehow get out of your apartment lease, Rush formally, and live in the house starting as a sophomore if you actually are invested in getting involved with Greek life.

By: Hi
by: DJJul 22, 2016 9:53:19 PM

I emailed the Panhellenic association and they sent me this:

"It is possible to not live in the sorority house depending on the Chapter. As you go through recruitment, be open with the chapters about your living situations (since you've already signed your lease), and they'll be able to hopefully work with you!"

Does this seem too optimistic and farfetched? I keep getting pulled back and forth lol

By: DJ
by: hhJul 23, 2016 11:08:53 AM

Yeah I'm going to be honest I really doubt there are any houses that will allow that. And if there actually are any, they would probably be houses at the very "bottom". If that doesn't matter to you and you do fit in with the house, then go for it. But I really can't think of any houses that would give you a bid and then allow you to live somewhere else the first year

By: hh
#2  by: Lol   

lol don't rush if you want to get into an "top/upper mid/mid" house. We honestly don't need more people like you in the system. If you genuinely want to rush and have a sisterhood to put a lot of effort in then you'll be happy wherever since where you end up is where you should be...

Maybe do some more self reflection if this community is really for you or if you're just trying to be "popular" in college which isn't a thing.

By: Lol

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.