facebook

rush for out of state

by: Texas

Hi, I am trying to decide between the University of Texas and here. I love both and want to be in Greek life. In Texas I have camp/school connections that will probably really help me with rush but I don't know anyone here. I am certainly not deciding a school based on my possible future Greek life, but I do want to know how it will be going to an out of state school. Do I have a chance at getting into a good sorority here without any connections? I am considered attractive, fairly wealthy, good resume etc. (probably just like everyone here!)

Posted By: Texas
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Hoo   

If you make any effort in your first semester here (we rush second semester) to meet some girls in sororities, you'll have no problem getting into a middle tier sorority. To get into a top tier one you'd have to specifically seek out the girls in those sororities and if they like you they'll dirty rush you

By: Hoo
by: ^Feb 28, 2017 11:09:07 PM

false lol i'm OOS and did that and got nothin so don't even try

By: ^
by: LiesMar 2, 2017 2:36:56 PM

Not true. Go to Texas.

By: Lies
#2  by: Out of state    

It is MUCH harder to get into a sorrority out of state. All of my friends and girls in my pi chi group ended up in sororitys in which a large portion of girls from their high school were in. You most likely will not get into a top tier, because girls are always dirty rushed esp by people from the same schools. It is harder to confirm reputation/wealth/status when the person it out of state .

By: Out of state
#3  by: Thanks   

I appreciate the honesty.

By: Thanks
#4  by: ISC   

Yes, there are certain sororities that base their pledge classes off of their high school friends. Those are not most of the chapters here, since we have 16 chapters. If you make friends in the fall and if you are outgoing and genuine during recruitment, you will find a good chapter where you feel happy and where you will make friends.

From someone in a sorority, I will say most chapter members are involved in things outside of there sorority. It's one of 3 things I'm involved in and most of my sisters are involved in several organizations. Greek Life is big here, but it isn't the only thing. One of my friends from home went to UT out of state and she said it is one of the only things she's involved in and same thing goes for her sisters.

Just think about what you want and remember that college isn't just Greek Life and it's about your education and future. If you got into UT and UVa then you're pretty damn smart. Worst case you can transfer if you end up not liking where you go but definitely take a lot more things into consideration than Greek Life.

By: ISC
by: GuestFeb 4, 2017 9:58:41 PM

^^^^

By: Guest
#5  by: Texas Too   

I'm from one of the big 4 cities, went to a private school, went to camp, all that jazz. I was also making the decision between UVA and UT and ultimately came here. Have you visited campus yet? The campus vibe is very different between the two, and I knew immediately which one I preferred!

I only personally knew one girl who was in a sorority when I first came here who I met doing a summer program in DC during HS. Even if you do not personally know girls in the upper tier sororities here, there are usually several Texas private school girls who are similar in background to you and speak on your behalf.

I'd say that Greek life is not as exclusive nor as "end all be all" as it is in Texas. While UT certainly has areas in which it is better academically, I feel as if people here are more cosmopolitan and intellectual. There's a lot of people from NYC and DC. In Texas, we were big fish because our parents sent us to the right schools and the right camp, but here we're kind of in the crowd. That can be a good or bad thing, depending on your preference.

By: Texas Too
by: huhMay 6, 2017 6:00:37 PM

What is "the right camp"

By: huh
by: TexasMay 6, 2017 11:41:30 PM

Camp Waldemar and Camp Mystic.....guess Longhorn too. First two are month long all girls camps. Wait lists are years long and they are awesome. My friends who didn't go call them cults.....we are all very loyal and loved our camps. I went for 8 years. If I have daughters they will go! You meet girls from all over but mainly from Texas. Going to Waldemar or Mystic pretty much guarantees a top sorority at UT or SMU because you have so many connections....even girls from small towns.

By: Texas
#6  by: I have not   

Visited yet. Planning to visit very soon and hoping it will make help me make my decision. That encourages me that you are happy with your choice, I am a legacy to a chapter which looks to be upper mid tier at UVA so that might help too. It is kind of freaking me out with all this talk about "coaches" yikes! Any tips if I decide to go there? Like everyone in Texas knows Hardin is the place to be.....anything like that I should know and visit while I am there? Thanks so much.

By: I have not
#7  by: Abc    

I know tons of girls in sororities that came from out of state. It helps to get to know girls beforehand but if you're personable and memorable during rush that's enough at a lot of places

By: Abc
#8  by: It's possible   

I'm out of state and didn't meet or hang out with any sorority girls first semester and ended up in an upper mid

By: It's possible
#9  by: Ok   

So UVA it is! So excited!! Any tips?

By: Ok
by: AdviceMay 5, 2017 8:37:43 PM

Congratulations!! First piece of advice: don't spend too much time on Greekrank. It's a whole lot of people boosting their own sororities and tearing others down, often the lower ones. Something you need to know about UVA is that all of our sororities are great and have their pros and cons. Spend your first semester here trying to figure out the vibe of each one on your own, don't just listen to stereotypes. Remember that getting along with your sisters is a lot more important than your "rank". If you're set on being in a top tier sorority, you'll have to work pretty hard to get to know some of the girls in them during your first semester. They dirty rush hard. As for the other sororities, getting to know a couple can only help

By: Advice

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.